1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP (kind of) 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Secrets5, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

So thank-you to Emma Watson I've finally gotten into Harry Potter. I mean, I still think the beginning part of the first book (where McGonigal - as a cat - is watching the Dursleys) is a bit boring and would have preferred the movie enterence, but I got through that part and now 3/4 through book 4.

Anyway, so the cursed child is out and I can't wait for that. I've seen the movies so now debating whether or not to read the rest of HP and then cursed child - or just go straight for the play since I've watched the others.

So probably all of you know the whole issue with a black Hermione casting and honestly, I don't have an opinion on it yet. Because of my next question -

If Hermione was black in the films, and then made her white for the screen play - would you find it okay or would you have a problem with it? And why?

Second question unrelated to the first: Who should I see as all the characters when I read the play? The film cast or the play cast? For one book [in script format] it doesn't seem worth it to change the visual since I'm not getting the play cast's acting, but then on the other hand, people might have a problem with me using the film cast since they're not the ones in the play.

As a side note, since H's race wasn't really important in the films but the following was ... Ron's not ginger. Or maybe they're waiting to dye his hair for the performance.

... Wondering how much I should talk HP with people since the books contain a lot more (honestly, the 4th film is a bit boring since it only focuses on the tournement, the whole SPEW thing really boosts H's character so it would have been nice to be in)

And another thing - this is on a bit of a tangenent but ... apart from the fact she needs to be in Gryfindoor to talk with the other two main characters, why isn't she in Ravenclaw? I mean, she's smart and intellegent. My only thoughts is to make her a braver person from Harry, a more sensitive person from Ron and she to make the other two more intellegent but even then I don't think the Hat cares about that stuff, she didn't ask to be in Gryfindoor like Harry so it wouldn't have taken that into account. And if the Hat can see the future and cares about the overall wizarding future, why put people like Malfoy or Riddle in slytherine if they know that would encourage the bad type of cunning. - so I don't think it can see into the future or it would have predicted that and put them somewhere else. Unless it's a ''not to mess with time'' but then why put H in Gryffindoor if otherwise this changes time in the way she leads with Harry on the quests they go on.

Sorry, this has turned into a tangent, new to the HP scene and can't wait for the next book.

#1 Secrets5, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. CoderK

As long as the key points are kept, such as Ron's hair, Hermione's smarts, or Harry's glasses, I am fine. Race was never defined in the books(as far as I know), and the movies aren't as cannon as the books, so it fits. Key moments that define character, such as SPEW, should be kept in. Third, Hermione is very brave, and I think(not 100% sure) that she asked the hat to go to Gryffindor.

3. Hunter8

In total blunt honesty, I cannot envision anyone else portraying Harry, Ron, and Hermione than the original actors. They are burned into my mind as personifying those beloved characters. I could never get enjoyment seeing the play due to that reason. I have no problem with Hermione being black, but I do have a problem with anyone other than Emma Watson playing her. I'll read the screenplay of Cursed Child so that I can envision the characters in the way that I most prefer.