1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I promote, sell or peddle a new musical?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by justbeyourself, Jul 29, 2016.

1. justbeyourself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've written a musical about my experience as a gay pastor in the closet. Anyone interested in it I would gladly give you more details. I see a cast of one lead character and four other adults serving as a chorus of various characters. It is called The Last Sunday. It is based on the following line in the musical. "My friends always ask when I am coming out to my congregation and I say, On my last Sunday because whenever I come out it would be the last Sunday." I have written dialogue to match fifteen original songs.
    Some of the song titles:
    Sodomy, My girl friends all know that I'm gay, You can't keep a good queer down and I am the queen of the church and more. Is there a director out there that might be interested? Would gladly tell you more. I believe in the hard work I've done and I believe its particular angle hasn't been done before.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have a local theater troupe? If you do, maybe you can start there and try to hope it gets expanded. Perhaps you could message the Playbill FB page and see if they have advice as well.

I wish you the best of luck!

3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no expert when it comes to these sorts of things, I just have quite a bit of theater experience and have had a play "produced" before (it's in the works of being published). I guess my best advice would be to talk to professional writers or music people in order to make sure you have a second opinion on your musical's quality. It's a lot easier to get actors to perform in a musical that has great quality rather than some kind of risk taker.

If there's a community theater near you, get involved. Talk with their board, and see if they'd be willing to approve it for a small event. Make sure you have some kind of copyright in place if you're planning on making it extremely public, you don't want your work to get stolen! It may take some time to find a good crew (with a budget) and could take you years. So, no time like the present!

It sounds like a really interesting and funny musical (I'd certainly bring along some friends to see it if I'd liked what I'd heard)! Depending on the area you're in and the advertising you do, it could be a hit! Again, I'm not an expert, so definitely talk to others and don't take my word for everything. But good luck!

4. justbeyourself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you so much for your response. I do in fact know some local theater folks and will if they might be interested. Please keep the ideas coming I do so appreciate them and your interest!