1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Audition Help!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by iiimee, Aug 16, 2016.

1. iiimee

Hey guys, so I realllyyy want to join my high school's acapella group, but I honestly don't listen to a lot of acapella music despite singing almost all the songs I like, and obviously that's in acapella and I always feel like I can carry a beat... Anyway, I need ideas for what I should sing! X_X Naturally I'm not sure where I am right now- my voice has lowered a low with training, and I used to be a low alto... I can still be a low alto when I talk if I want to but I think I easily reach medium baritone... I can sing low, MAYBE medium soprano but it's tough... any ideas? I was thinking of maybe taking a non-acapella song and trying to sing it acapella, but that can be risky for auditions... Help! X_X Audition's are Monday, so it needs to be something I can memorize fairly fast. Also, I'm not sure if my school allows cuss words in songs- some do and some don't- but yeah, please try suggesting some clean songs as well as ones with cuss words if they're good. XD Thanks!

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to come off as cheesy, but a lot of Disney movies or musicals have great potential for song choices and would be readily recognizable.

Recently, there has been Frozen's "Let It Go" but I wouldn't suggest it because it's been overdone. Some of my favourite songs from movies have been:
    > I'm Still Here (Jim's Theme) from Treasure Planet
    > I Stand Alone from Quest For Camelot
    > I Dreamed A Dream from Les Miserables
    > Reflection or I'll Make A Man Out Of You from Mulan

#2 Kodo, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ideally, you'll want a song that isn't too simple, you can learn quickly, and one that shows off your vocal skills! I'm not sure if there are any requirements besides that, so I'll just give you a few song ideas to see what might work.

Musicals:
    Grow For Me from Little Shop of Horrors
    I Will Be There from The Count of Monte Cristo
    Dreamer in Disguise from Carrie: The Musical
    Johanna from Sweeney Todd

Pop songs:
    Somebody to Love by Queen
    Feelin' Good by Michael Buble
    Northern Downpour by Panic! At the Disco

That's all I've got so far. Sorry if they're not really in your range, I'm not familiar with male vocal range. If you sing any of them acapella though, you could really pick your own key. Best of luck!

4. iiimee

Okay, so more info for you guys:

The group IS an acapella pop group, so the majority of songs will be pop- they're looking for tenors, so I want to try it out. :/ The highest I can really go is a mezzo-soprano I think? Naturally, if you HAD to put me in a female range I'd be a contralto, but I'm probably a little bit lower than that, which is why I think I could sing anywhere from alto to baritone really, really easily. X_X This sucks though, because I can't find a lot of good songs that are within "tenor" range that don't seem like they won't be done. :/ I figured I could maybe do a version of Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" as an acapella? Just a thought... I really was hoping to find a song by The Cure that is a little deeper that I can sing, but I'm not sure... Maybe Lullaby? I could probably shift "Love Song" around too... I'll see. >_< Also, thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely look at those, and I'd love more suggestions too! XD