1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour associations.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Canterpiece, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm currently writing a fantasy story where one of my characters is telekinetic. Only problem is, I'm planning on using some sort of colour outline for objects that are being moved in order to show that person is moving them via magic, and I'm not sure what colour I should use to represent this.

From what I gather, blue seems like a good choice, as when I typed in "telekinesis" into Google, and looked at some images there tended to be a lot of blue used. I have been considering the use of blue, but I have also wondered whether I should use orange. Or perhaps orange for levitation, and blue for the actually moving part. Or maybe even the other way around.

I guess I could base the colour of the character's personality, but I'm not sure what to go for really, and it's hard because different colours mean different things to different cultures, and maybe I'm overthinking this. I could go based on eye/hair colour I guess.

I don't know. Any suggestions? What colour would you use if you had such a character?

:shrug:

#1 Canterpiece, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Silver might work. Gold? Indigo? Misty white? All those seem pretty telekinesis-y, without being too cliche. :slight_smile:

3. candyjiru

Hmm, I always imagined it as purple, but I do think the eye color relation would be nice as long as they have unique eye colors and it's not just green, brown, blue, and hazel XD;;;;;;

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The character in question I've always imagined to have blue eyes, I don't know why. Blue eyes, brown hair, average sort of height. Trouble maker. Mischievous smile. So if I were to go by eye colour, it'd most likely be some sort of blue.

#4 Canterpiece, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Actually when I read this, what I immediately thought of wasn't a colour, but of the air around the object blurring, which would kind of indicate that the magic has a basis in the laws of physics, that it manipulates matter and energy in some way to make things move. I don't know if that kind of sciencey aspect is what you're going for though.

How about doing something like the mood of the caster at the time affects the colour/opacity of their magic? I personally think this makes more sense than hair or eye colour, I don't really see why those would be related.

My reasoning is that magic is surely something that has a strong relation to to mental state and cognitive ability coming from practice, rather than physical characteristics, and that would be a cool way to show it. But feel free to disagree if that's not what you're going for, it is your story after all.

#5 Opheliac, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually hadn't considered the blurring idea- you've given me something to think about. :slight_smile:

Yeah, one of my original ideas was to have how the character is feeling be the main influence on the colour, and how the caster feels about certain colours. I'll probably go back to using this idea, perhaps.

Maybe I could do some sort of blurring around the colour? Like have a thin outline of colour around the object and then a bit of blurring around it. Hmm...

I only mentioned the hair/eye colour idea because I've seen shows that have used this idea, however I am more so indifferent to such an idea.

#6 Canterpiece, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016