1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you feel about cis people playing a trans role and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by anthracite, Sep 8, 2016.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I've recently coma across a huge fuzz over a cis male who plays a trans woman in a movie.
    It said that this was causing people to think that trans women are there to trick people.

I really don't think that this could be a thing. I mean in a movie it's about the plot and if the character is pre HRT then likely you would pick a man for this role.

I think it's the choice of the actor if he/she wants to play a character from the opposite gender, let that person do it if they can do it.

Also I heard that most trans actors play trans roles, even fully transitioned. This doesn't make sense...

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The arguments, as I understand them, are simple.

1) There are lots of trans actors out there who need work. Cis people are taking away opportunities from the trans actors.

2) There is still a lot of transphobia in media. Having trans actors play trans people may help temper this as a trans actor is less likely to be part of a transphobic joke (although they are not immune to this).

3) Trans actors should play trans people because it may be seen to undermine the whole trans thing. Anyone can dress up as a certain gender and be trans? No thats not what being trans is. Its part of the reason why a white actor playing a black character is offensive.

4) Be careful not to view this issue in a vaccum. There is a lot of transphobia out there - much of it is just accepted. I was watching the Simpsons only yesterday and there was a joke about a teacher going FtoM. Very nasty.
    So, we have to be very understanding and vigilant when it comes to transphobia - some of it is more obviously transphobic and some of it less so.

Heres a good video:
    [YOUTUBE]tKu-NBNv27o[/YOUTUBE]

3. iiimee

I completely disagree with you Robert. Actually, most of the posts I've seen you make I completely disagree with you on. :/ Seriously, I don't understand why everyone gets so offended by actors playing characters who aren't exactly like them. Acting is about playing a different person, and personally, I'd be more insulted if there were never any cis actors who could take on trans roles, because if it was only trans people taking on those roles than the actors and fans of that actor/actress wouldn't see just how normal and relate-able trans people are. What you're doing when you say that only trans people can play trans people is you're putting them on a pedestal and saying that actors have to conform to a role within their own gender, or take a position that only their gender typically has. Don't you see how that's actually a little bit sexist? Also, you are diminishing the possible quality of a film when all you do is essentially type-cast like this: You may not know this, but trans people make up less than 1% of the world population, so you're definitely taking away opportunities from so many people, many of which amazing actors, when you say only trans people can play trans roles. Sorry, but it is extremely likely a cis actor would get the role instead of a trans person since there are at least 10x as many cis actors than trans actors auditioning for any role at any given time, unless the people selecting the cast specifically have a sign that says "No cis scum here!" Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't think having a white actor play a black character is anymore offensive than a black actor playing a white character, which is not offensive at all. You can think about everything in terms of race if you want, but most people actually searching for actors care more about talent.

Jared Leto is one of my favorite actors, and he played a trans woman named Rayon in the movie "Dallas Buyers Club". You can say you would have rather seen a trans woman play the role, but it's obvious just reading about all he did for the role that nobody would have been better for the part, or at least that committed. I'm guessing the movie you're saying people were offended by was that Zoolanders movie though? Yeah, people need to grow a pear and stop screaming about that- the movie was a cheap comedy but not that bad, and having a character like that in the story definitely added a little extra fun to the adventure.

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Wouldn't it be better if the one who casts the actors wouldn't know if the actor is trans or not and decide only based on skill? It's the same dillema with women in high positions somehow.

There are some jokes who are really inappropiate but does that mean we have to fight all jokes? In Germany we have this comedian, he makes fun of every minority he knows. He's overweight and does overweight jokes. So if you can laugh about yourself, you should be allowed to joke about other minorities.

I don't think you can compare that to race, after all trans people are normal men/women only that they had to fight for living as their true gender. It's more like straight people playing gay people. But for the difficulties trans people face, the actor could get a trans consultant so he can act and represent the struggle better.

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care, I think jobs should be based on ability only. As long as they're not specfically looking for cis people to play a trans role and the actor does research, I don't care.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everything you wrote.

I'm not an actress, but I'm a writer. My MC has a mental illness I do not have, but I did my research and put dedication into it. The people I know who have such illness seem to enjoy my representation and thank me for the research and care put into it.

If I was only allowed to write characters based on me, it would be incredibly boring and I would not be exercising my brain to learn and understand different world views. Not to mention I would probably be criticized by other writers for making a mary sue or self insert character by writing about things that specifically affect me, so you can't really win.

The only thing I agree with Robert on is that if trans actors want to fulfill the role, they should be given a chance, since there's not very many of them. But I don't agree with searching them out specifically for that reason since you are tokenising them and making it harder to find someone for the part.

#6 Creativemind, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I want trans and cis people to audition for a trans role and may the best skill win. Only drawback is there are few if any trans stars(Maybe Laverne Cox?) so star power may still be an issue.

8. rudysteiner

I think it should be based on ability. No one really gives a shit when straight actors are cast to play gay characters, do they? As long as everyone is being given a fair chance to audition, then it shouldn't matter. How would it look if they cast a trans person for a trans role and they were absolutely shite? Casting directors look for the best actors available, so that's what they go with. It makes sense. There are so few trans actors that are good that but won't be available or wouldn't be right for the role/didn't want it, so it'll go to the next best person who can act.

9. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing that's important is whether they are a good enough actor. It's like saying that someone with dyslexia has to play the character with dyslexia. It's unnecessary and ridiculous that people actually think trans people should only be played by trans people :/