1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers of EC: advice needed please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by killswitch0029, Sep 12, 2016.

1. killswitch0029

Hi all!
    :smilewave:smilewave:smilewave

Recently I've decided that I wanted to get back into writing after putting it on hold for two years to focus on school. It was something I loved to do and I aside from job hunting right now I don't have much else going for me so I figured why not.
    '
    I have my heart set on trying my hand at fantasy. I have an idea for a story in my head and thought out some plot events. Only problem is when I sit down and get ready to write.... nothing happens. It's beyond irritating. I don't know if it's a few years of rust build up or my unfamiliarity at working with the genre but I just can't seem to get my ideas from my mind onto paper (or computer screen but.... what ev :lol:slight_smile:

Anyways some advice would be much appreciated.

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

If you're having a problem about where to start, just write whatever is clearest in your head. Once you have one piece written out - it doesn't even need to be a complete bit - it's easier to build up what happens around it.

If you don't want to start with a character, you could start with an object. It could be significant to the story or just representative of one character, for example, but if you map it's story through the narrative, maybe you'll have something to start with. Or do the opposite and start with a character.

I'm in the same situation at the moment, trying to get down to some writing while I have the time!

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a fantasy story personally, and It's taken me over a decade to actually get where I wanted to with it. Mine is a longer story, so it probably won't take you that long, but there shouldn't be any rush.

My advice is to start with a roughdraft. You can even put it in script form, as long as that's not the finalized work. That way it makes it more easy to organize. You don't have to go in order either. Feel free to plan the ending first, then other parts surrounding it and so on.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually keep a computer file with story ideas that occur to me at random times. Then, when I feel like writing, I usually put the ideas in some semblance of a story order - which is easier if I already have a general outline of the overall story in my mind. Then I start trying to tell the story to fill in the gaps between the significant pieces that I have already come up with. But I don't remain glued to the original significant ideas I came up with, either. Oftentimes, the final story will have the exact flavor I started out to write, but the details end up being considerably different in order to make the story flow the way I think it should.

Don't know if that helps you or not.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're probably stuck in the criticism phase. I forget exactly how it went, but a piece of advice says there are at least two mindsets, likely more, when dealing with something you're creating. 1. The actual production, which is basically semi-organized brainstorming, and 2. Evaluation, which is where you consider if it's actually good, fits together, etc.

If you try to write while evaluating the thoughts as they come, you'll never like any enough to get them on paper (or screen). It's why the common practice is to write a rough draft first with a minimum of self-criticism: if it feels right at the time, go with it. In subsequent rounds of revision, after you have a complete concept, you do the fixes and polishing that turn the rough work into something you're not embarrassed to share with people. :slight_smile:

#5 Argentwing, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Argentwing makes a great point. After I have the basic ideas I want to write about in some semblance of order, I just write, letting it flow for as long as I feel inspired. Later, I come back and work at cleaning it up. Then later, I come back and work at cleaning it up some more. And so on until I'm satisfied that my story is tight enough to invite the non-biased criticism of someone elses' review.:slight_smile:

7. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would just write down everything you've got in your head now and just work from there.

8. killswitch0029

Thanks for the tips everyone. You've all given me some really great advice. Wish me luck :slight_smile:

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey killswitch0029, one other thing that I thought of when I reread your original post: When I get stuck writing a fictional/fantasy story, I like to find a friend or two who will sit down with me (usually over beer and pizza on my dime) and have a fun brainstorming session. I normally start telling a story based on the storyline I'm working on and say something like "Once upon a time there was ..." and we go back and forth with consecutive ideas and tell a story between us. It often gets silly, but sometimes some really great ideas come directly from one of these sessions and very often they spur my creative juices enough to get me back in the writing 'mood', even if I don't take any real gems for the story away from the brainstorming session.:slight_smile:

Good luck!:thumbsup:

10. killswitch0029

Just wanted to come back and once again say thank you. A lot of the advice you've all given me has really helped me out. It still gets a bit frustrating and I still find myself swearing at my laptop when I can't get the words out, but I have a few things written down, so I'm farther along than when I started :slight_smile:

11. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just write. Don't edit until you've finished the rough draft of the story. It's tempting, but it can make you lose flow.