1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What movie/book/series was so bad you couldn't finish it?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LaEsmeralda, Sep 16, 2016.

1. LaEsmeralda

The majority of the time when I start a book, I see it right to the end. There have been a couple that I have forced myself to finish because I was invested in the series. Feast for Crows (the fourth book in A Song of Ice and Fire) for example. It just dragged on and kept introducing characters I didn't care about and cutting out the ones I did want to read about. Funnily enough the second time I read it, I actually really enjoyed it.

I gave up on Fifty Shades of Grey less than two chapters in. It was cringe worthy.

Similarly I gave up halfway through City of Ashes, the second book in The Mortal Instruments. I hated the main romance and I found the main character unbearably annoying.

The film adaptation of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and the film adaption of Insurgent are the only two films in recent memory that I just switched off because I found them boring, unimaginative and uninspiring.

I stopped watching True Blood because it became ridiculous (around about the faerie orgasm birth scene) and The Walking Dead when I realised the show was going nowhere and that they had been running around in the woods for 5 seasons and it didn't look like that was going to change.

What movies, books or TV series did you start reading/watching and then gave up because they were terrible?

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Christian Mingle: The Movie.

I kid you not, that's a thing. I tend to watch bad religious movies because I find them so funny in a "So bad it's good" sort of way but I couldn't finish it. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. At least it's not coated in insults thrown at minorities I guess, but jeez. Hopefully that's not how most straight folks work. It was just a drawn out and poorly organized advertisement.

#2 Kira, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  3. BlueBanana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Elemental Trilogy by Antony John

I read the first two books over the course of several months, despite normally finishing a book in only a few days. It was just too bad for me to read. I only got a couple of pages into the 3rd book before I decided "fuck it" and gave up on the series. I just couldn't finish it.

4. perpetuality

Tallow, by Karen Brooks. Just so unbearably Mary-Suish, not to mention unmentionably dumb and illogical. Also, the main character had been identifying as a boy, but as soon as they found out they were biologically female (how could you not notice??!) they immediately began using female programs like it was just that easy to switch over. Also, they have a magical destiny according to a prophecy and it's just so UGH

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly? The Inheritance books. Or rather, Eldest itself. Eragon was awesome and told a wonderful story. Eldest tended to linger on a particular moment for far too long, especially for the target audience, and it ended up getting dry and boring. I'll see if I can retry reading it, but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I couldn't finish Go Set A Watchman. Majorly majorly disappointing book.

7. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Divergent. Couldn't get into it. It was just boring. I seriously hate the YA books where they end up together. Why can't they just remain friends?

8. LaEsmeralda

You're better giving up with the first book. I read all three and the third was such a massive disappointment I nearly threw my kindle through the window.

Veronica Roth just can't write characters. None of them were fleshed out at all apart from Tris, and she was mean and inconsistent.

I haven't read any of Paolini's books but I heard he can't write for shit! And that his books are just a big rip off of Star Wars and LOTR.

9. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The last two seasons of Friends were so rough I literally skipped to the end lol.

10. iiimee

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree- Paolini's books were some of the best. Yes, I admit in Eldest he began to do a Stephen King and write out all details possible, but the chapters were short enough where he could get away with that. Plus, his action scenes were amazing... and he ripped off Star Wars and LOTR? Pleaseeee, his books are NOTHING like those two- Yes, Eragon has daddy issues like Luke, and there is a ton of traveling, but those are the only two comparisons you could really make. :/

Now, the series I personally had to quit was Free!... You know, that anime about friendship and boys who swim? I don't get the appeal of it. At all.

11. L0ser

the second book in the Maze Runner series. Bypassing interesting things to force in a love triangle was annoying, but when the main character passes out around 10 times to transition scenes it really shows how lazy the writing got.

12. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Harry Potter

13. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I started reading After by Anna Todd but i couldn't finish it, the main character was son annoying. Seriously the girl had no dignity whatsoever and the boy was borderline abusive with her and a drug addict. I just couldn't read another page of this book where the girl almost feinted whenever the guy looked at her.

14. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read Fifty Shades of Grey but didn't finish the next in the series. Ana has the emotional maturity of a fifteen-year-old.
    I really liked the first four Dark Tower books but I hated the last two. Stephen King inserted himself as a character and had one of my favorites die protecting him.

15. LaEsmeralda

I won't be reading Paolini's Inheritance series based on this blog post:

Lessons from the terrible writing of Eragon

I think the comparisons the blog writer makes to the Lord of the Rings are credible. And the prose looks pretty bad. Paolini was a teenager when he wrote the books, so what he achieved was incredible. But I still wouldn't read it.

Of course books don't have to be well written or original to be liked or popular. Look at the Twilight series. It was engrossing. Although I found the plot pretty ridiculous and the characters annoying and some of the story-lines downright offensive, I did read it straight through to the end.

16. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't necessarily hate it per se but I couldn't finish the Battle Royale novel. It tried something interesting having each chapter's narrative coming from a different student but because of how many characters there were, I kind of felt like it didn't give enough character development to any of them.

17. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dropped the first Maze Runner book about halfway through. I hated the weird romance between the main character and a comatose girl, I hated how he constantly brought up his amnesia, and the main antagonist just seemed like a jerk for the sake of being a jerk and it just got borderline ridiculous at some points. Maybe he would have turned out to be actually interesting later on, but I wasn't willing to drag myself through the book just to find out.

Also the main character was the most boring stale piece of white bread that I have ever read about.

18. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Too late to edit mine but I remembered that I only watched about half of the first final fantasy movie. It was just so bland and uninteresting.

19. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always tried to read The Lord of the Rings but the print is so small and its just so long and never ending that I can get about twenty chapters in... Put it down for a while... Forget what happened and then have to start all over. Rinse and repeat. Which is a shame because I'm very fond of The Hobbit.

There was this awful movie I had to watch for research reasons called Dinosaurus. It was made in the '60s or something and I wanted to vomit the entire time. I ended up having to fast forward through most of the scenes after getting about thirty minutes in.

Practically all the books I've been assigned to read at school I hated and only got through them because I'd get a bad grade if I didn't.

Also I never got past the Seekers series by Erin Hunter. Got a few books in and I guess I just sort of lost interest in it and stopped getting the books

20. killswitch0029

Cube film series. I'm normally into psychological horror stuff but... this series is utter garbage. The second one... even bigger piece of garbage, didn't see the whole thing and I never plan to. The third one I'm not even going to bother investigating. Already wasted a good 2-3 hours of my life between the first 2 film, not gonna waste any more with the other one