1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports and stuff

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GSJSol3, Oct 12, 2016.

1. GSJSol3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to this whole self acceptance of being 'bi' and EC has been great to browse. I don't consider myself the stereotypical gay guy and I think it's definitely affected me never wanting to be who I am. I didn't ever think there could be others literally just like me - until my best friend came out to me out of nowhere.

This has launched me on a psychological journey of self acceptance - which leads me here today. I play video games - super into WoW.. again, huge sports fan (Go Pats), and probably the gayest thing I do is watch HGTV... Because house hunters rules.

Do any of you find yourself 'outside the stereotype'?

2. Lambeau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would say I'm in the same category as you. I'm gay, yet I still love football (Go Pack Go!). I enjoy going to basketball and hockey games, although I'm not that into watching them on TV. I don't have any feature that scream "I'm gay". The two "gayest" things about me are I love Disney (movies, theme parks, you name it) and, like you, thinks House Hunters is awesome.

I never really struggled with not being the same stereotype. I think it's important to realize that there are just as many masculine gay and bisexual males as there are "feminine" ones. It's just media and society don't show you those images. No matter how inside or outside the stereotype you are - it's okay. There isn't a rule book for being a gay or bi male.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    GSJSol3,

I’m curious why you identify as bi, but compare yourself to gay stereotypes. Maybe you don’t quite yet understand bisexuality?

As to the stereotypes themselves, as Lambeau said, media and society show their ignorance of who we are by portraying them as ‘the norm’ for gay guys. The reality is that, just as in heterosexual society, people in the LGBTQ community are unique individuals and stereotypes do everyone a disservice.

I spent over 20 years in the US military. Most of that time was under the ‘old’ rules where anyone engaging in homosexual activity could be summarily thrown out of the military – and the military did not distinguish between gay and bisexual in the least. I didn’t ‘pretend’ in order to stay in the military. I was never anyone but my honest self in all ways except when it came to hiding my sexuality. If I had exhibited stereotypical gay behaviors, my life in the military would most likely have been very rough and my career cut quite short.

Take Care. Stay strong and proud!:slight_smile:

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It shouldn't really be an issue whether you fit them or not as long as you are happy and comfortable with what you do. Stereotypes come from judging large groups of people, who usually happen to be the most vocal/visible of the group. IMO trying to use them to judge individuals tends to be pointless.

5. SunbroIbex

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I'm most definitly not your typical gay person, or whatever I am.
    I love to bowl, and that's not the stereotypical gay guy.
    I don't have the stereotypical gay clothes style. But I might try and change that slightly. To see if I can attract the attention of some guys. Curious to see who'll check me out eventually.
    And yeah, I'm currently overweight. Working on that.

Though I'm starting to accept myself. Still trying to figure out who I am though.

And of course, not listening to the stereotypical gay music.
    Except maybe trance music. Some say it's gay music. And lots of guys at those festivals are gay I hear. Especially at Sensation White.