1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What album(s) hit close to home for you and why?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by neonliv, Nov 3, 2016.

1. neonliv

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    for me it's gotta be is this it? by the strokes. it really served me through my middle school years as my introduction to good music and it was what id listen to when i was going through some tough depressing shit. how about you?

2. killswitch0029

Nickelback's All the Right Reasons. Despite being an incredibly shitty album, for some ungodly reason me and quite a few of my friends were obsessed with it a few summers after it came out. To this day I still cringe whenever I hear a song from it (although there's like 1 or 2 songs from it that I will admit are passable as decent) but I don't have the heart to delete it from my iTunes given how much happiness and good times was once associated with that album.

#2 killswitch0029, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. neonliv

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i can totally respect. we all have those albums that we know in our hearts to be complete and utter shit but bring back the best memories for us.

4. guitar

This would be impossible to choose. Two moments that stand out for me though:

Montrose - S/T. The song Rock Candy in particular. I remember randomly grabbing the CD out my dad's collection when I was about 7 (four shirtless guys on the cover, if I only knew then...). I randomly picked track 6, and the drums from Rock Candy just exploded through my dad's kickass 3-way speakers at the time. Then the heavy riff kicked in and my jaw hit the floor. One of the best moments of hard rock / metal ever.

Queensryche - The Warning. Though I wouldn't buy the album for probably a year after I hear the song Take Hold of the Flame, my jaw hit the floor when I heard an mp3 of Geoff Tate singing Tate Hold. Just a stunning vocal performance that still gets me to this day. When I bought the CD around the age of 16, I played it for weeks and weeks on end.

5. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    JPN by Perfume <3 :slight_smile: It really helped when I felt down and sad.

6. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a lot of albums that hit close to home for me. However, there are three that I will mention on the forum because they were the introduction to my expanding my musical taste to other genres:

Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy and Caribou - I have a lot of his music in my library and although there are other Elton John albums that do stand out for me for other reasons...these two plays a major influence on my music taste.

Martha Reeves debut solo album. This was an album that a lot of people slept on and a lot are not aware of with the exception of those individuals within the music industry. A lot of people know her from her Motown hits with the group The Vandellas...but this album was her venturing out of that mold and focusing on not just R&B...but Pop-Rock as well. I remember looking for this on CD format and Amazon.com was offering it as an import for a substantial amount of money. To my surprise...a music warehouse that was located next to the company that I had worked for had got it for me at a much lower amount and it was brand new and an import. I still play this CD from time to time because the music is still relevant and its one of my all time favorite CDs.

7. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Troye Sivan's TRXYE

why? I'm not totally sure, I just think was a really feelsy album, and Gasoline still gets me every time.

8. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ocean Eyes by Owl City and Woodface by Crowded House

9. OnceUponADream

Out Status:
    A few people
    Lungs by Florence and The Machine

Goddess by Banks

Hounds of Love by Kate Bush

I relate to the feelings and symbols present in all three of these albums. They help me to understand myself and the world I live in. They just make me feel like me, if that makes any sense haha?

10. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    Death - Symbolic
    Santana - Supernatural