1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[The Walrus] Conficker Virus[Hates Worms]

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by InaRut, Mar 30, 2009.

1. InaRut

Didn't see a warning about the Conficker Virus so I thought I'd do the good thing and carry on the message.

Apparently there is a worm virus going around and it's gonna do some pretty bad things. The good news is it hasn't activated yet. The bad news is it activates April 1st. We can only hope that it's some sort of media april fools joke....

Apparently if you are having difficulty upgrading your virus software or your windows can't upload new files that's a sign you have it.

Also if you can't access this link (which will inform you of the virus) then you also may have it.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=conficker_worm&inid=us_ghp_link_conficker_worm

It's across the globe so anyone can have it.

...and if your thinking, "Wow Walrus, way to strike fear into all of us innocent EC'ers you big jerk." Then one, I'm sorry.. and Two, Watch the video anyways because it's a prime example of how sensationlist news media can be.

Russian Anti-Westerner Facists for the win?

2. pirateninja

Luckily, I have Norton 360, and it just updated the security, so I should be alright.

(!)

I know our school system had the Kido worm on its network for a few months or so, and it infected a LOT of Memory sticks and some people's home computers. But my Norton antivirus is still updating so it seems alright, and I had my pen drive checked too.

Hopefully, as it says, Norton should be able to do the trick :slight_smile:

3. Dakku

Ew, Norton. ]:
    Never really liked that one, I use different methods to protect myself. 8B
    LIKE A BIG COSY BALL OF COTTON WOOL. ]:

4. Shevanel

what happens if you have a Mac....? I used to know a lot about computers until Technology started changing exponentially and i couldn't be bothered to learn about anything besides Windows. I heard Mac's are less susceptible to viruses? but i really have no clue

5. Apple Pie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The link InaRut gave indicates that it installs itself through a vulnerability in Windows, so it is unlikely that it could infect a Mac. Also, Windows binaries only run on Windows, though some viruses are cross platform.

6. InaRut

I'm pretty sure Mac uses are safe...

But they are not safe from an angry walrus and a baseball bat smashing it in a jealous bit of rage...

so watch out

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Using Norton Security products is like replacing your brand new quad core with a 10 year old PII and paying $30/year for the privledge. Avast, or AntiVir are much better, free products. If one wishes to pay, NOD32 is a lot better than Norton, or McAfee.

The default configuration for Windows is to not allow internet access to the affected MS Networking ports, and many ISPs block access to these ports. As well if you're behind a router, the default configuration won't make these ports accessible. So only horribly configured computers are at risk for the type A & B strands. Disable autorun (which I do anyways becauses it annoys me) and you aren't vulnerable to the C strand.

Use an uptodate web browser like Firefox (with Adblock plus), don't click and download random things from random browser popups, run behind a firewall with as many ports closed as possible, and preferably run your day to day stuff as a limited access user, and you're safe from most threats.

Still not a bad idea to double check to make sure you're not infected. :wink:

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To Disable Autorun on computers with Windows XP:
    XP Professional:
    Start->Run -> "gpedit.msc" without the quotes
    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System
    Double click "Turn off Autoplay"
    "Enabled"-> "All drives"

All versions of Windows XP:
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives...m-executing-instructions-found-in-autoruninf/

I also disable Autoplay in Tweak UI because it annoys me when Windows scans drives as they are inserted:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An alternative method, which I belive will work on all Windows XP and Vista machines, bypassing the need for any of the above:

Open up notepad, paste the following text in:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:000000ff
    "HonorAutoRunSetting"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:000000ff

Save with the filename: Noautorun.reg
    Once saved, double click on the file, and if prompted allow it to merge with the registry. Repeat with all users.

Ensure you have all recent Windows updates applied.

10. tm74

tm74 Guest

Yeah, we had this at work a few months ago - there's a "new strain" (for want of a better phrase) - so the advice here is the usual stuff to check:

Antivirus software up-to-date
    Windows update, up-to-date
    *always* virus scan any removable drive that's been in a different computer - mostly USB sticks these days
    Firewalls correctly updated.

Now, this particularly nasty is Windows specific, but although they are rare, there are now Mac and Linux viruses/worms out there - so all you Mac/Linux users, you're not as immune to being careful as you were a few years ago.

Of course, the other key thing to remember, for anyone who uses a computer

"You can never have too many backups"

11. -Michael-

My luck would give me this virus.

12. Apocalypte

Gotta check my mum's laptop for this later... I'm spoilt by being a Mac owner.

13. BeautifulStranger

God
    I wish I was so technically smart and could understand at least half of what's said in that article.
    Technology isn't my cup of tea...

Anyways, this isn't my computer so it's not up to my standards protection-wise, which spawns my question...
    All of you have mentioned Norton, which is awesome because that's what we use back home, but this computer has Avira on it.
    Is that effective or should I be worried?

14. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I said Norton will make your quad core feel like a 10 year old PII. As in it's slow bloated Garbage. Waste of money.

Avira Antivir is a good product. Just make sure it's kept up to date.

15. BeautifulStranger

Haha
    That means absolutely nothing to me. You might as well be speaking Swedish :grin:

Next year I'm getting a MacBook so no biggie

16. djt820

Nod32 ftw!:thumbsup:

17. Meropspusillus

I hate Norton. It's totally yuck.

18. Miles D

can I just say "yay for having a Mac!"? :grin:
    (!)(!)

19. tm74

tm74 Guest

I can recommend a product (which is available for free to home users) called AVG anti-virus from a company called Grisoft. I've used it for years, it auto-updates too.

20. pirateninja

Personally, I feel Norton 360/Symantec is one of the best Antivirus systems around at the moment, maybe not the best EVAR, but I feel it is far from a waste of money. When scanning it does not slow down the computer, it is easy to use, and although it can get annoying having to keep clicking "Remind me in an hour", the updates are constant.