1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yuri!! on Ice- Thoughts?? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DianaLives, Nov 21, 2016.

1. DianaLives

Yuri!! on Ice is a new anime which is currently on its 7th episode. Its about figure ice skating and it´s also famous for other reasons(!).

How do you guys feel about it? On the latest episodes the animation has been a little wonky and sometimes the plot is unexciting, but I am in love with the characters. Do you people have any particular opinions on the show?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The OSTs are really nice, but the relationship between Japanese Yuri and Victor (Viktor?) seems quite plastic. The characters themselves seem rather dynamic, particularly Japanese Yuri, albeit a little unrealistically so. Maybe I'm just too unsympathetic.

The animation has always seemed interesting, to say the least, but it is extremely, extremely difficult to animate a complicated scene like skating and they do a fine job at it. So I can't complain.

Chris is terrible, however, and that's my only solid opinion on the matter.

#2 Nychthemeron, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  3. DianaLives

Do you mean superficial? or like faked?

Agreed. while sometimes the sexy vixen archetype can be fun this one is just annoying kinda evil:confused:.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Superficial. I believe they intended it to be genuine, but Viktor's vested interest in Yuri just seems too weird to be anything but a plot device.

But I don't really care, haha. This sort of stuff is my guilty pleasure. It's not important what is or isn't superficial, there is admittedly very good execution of their relationship - like episode 7, that tugged at heartstrings.

Chris isn't even evil, he's just super creepy LOL.

5. DianaLives

I also think the execution of their relationship is somewhat different to others in anime, like usually you will find stuff like this in yaoi which is gay relationships targeted to straight females, so things are just plainly gross (like pedophilia) or really bad (like constant teasing without nothing happening) but this one feels like they did it and they planned on it to be different from the rest and to be a bit more representative than just things being quirky.

6. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am liking YOI so far. Normally I am not one for sports anime, but I decided to give this one a shot and am not disappointed.

I personally ship Viktor with Yuuri, but I can understand how some people might see some of Viktor's actions as a bit... er, much. I still think they're sweet together though, and I love the concept of an idol developing feelings for a fan.

The music is great too. Though I had the intro on repeat so much one day that I can't really stand it anymore. ^^; I don't know why I do that with music, but it's a good reason not to like it, I guess.

Issues I have with the series are how flat some of the newer episodes are. They all seem to solely be about skating without focusing too much on interpersonal drama or character relationships. So the large quantities of new characters being thrown at us all the time is pretty... eh... for me.

The animation quality seems to be going downhill too, which is very sad considering how great the first few episodes were animated.

Have you seen ep. 8 yet? I thought it was fairly average overall. They tried to invoke a bit of drama at the end but it feel short. I do like that Yuri(o) is coming back and playing a bigger part in the series again.

Also I'm somewhat bitter that the Canadian character is a bit of an idiot. Though patriotism won out and I ended up rooting for him. lol

7. Kiibie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't watched it yet, but there is a huge amount of buzz (both positive and negative) that I admit I'm very curious. I'll probably watch it very soon.

8. DianaLives

Yeah lol the animation was at its worst in episode 6 i think, I though it was just me but i guess not jaja. Also yeah the drama isnt good at all, if the had stuck with yurio´s struggles for that episode it would have been just fine.

9. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw the first (and part of the second) episode at my college's anime club, I actually really enjoyed it. Sad to hear that the newer episodes aren't as good.

Ironically, I thought the show was going to be about lesbians on ice given the title lol.

10. Brytaleith

I haven't watched it, but am very confused. There are no lesbians? Even though it's called Yuri on Ice? But there's a gay couple? But it's a really cool concept.

So yeah. I'll probably watch it when I get the time, and after it's reputation is firmly established.

11. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's called Yuri on Ice because the main protagonists name is Yuri. But there is a gay couple, or at least, heavily hinted at that they are a couple. I doubt the production company would actually be able to state it outright. Though through hints in the show, and some tweets from one of the writers, it's quite obvious. lol

12. Ryu

Ryu

I Have dibs on Victor.

13. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the negative comments concerning the lack of focus on the main characters after episode 7 but overall I have to admit I really, really like it (is there any way to get the title song out of my head??).

I'm usually not into sports anime but thought I'd give this a go because I wanted to know what the hype is about. I'm a bit weirded out by the the amount of shirtless-Victor shots (and awkward positioning of stuff to avoid full frontal nudity. Just put on some pants, dude). But I think Yuri is quite relatable and I love his character development and that his confidence problems don't magically disappear. I was kind of disappointed by the newer episodes because I expected to be more of a focus on Yuri and Victor's relationship after episode 7 but then they just started introducing tonnes of new characters. Anyhow, I like that Yuri and Victor obviously care for each other a lot and that they don't do the stereotypical "super masculine guy" + "super feminine guy" couple thing. They have both played with gender in their performances without ever worrying what people might think/what that might mean for their masculinity/...

I really hope that we'll get to learn more about Victor in future episodes. He needs some flaws, I think, to make him a bit more believable as a character. He's a bit too perfect right now.

14. DianaLives

So... Episode 9.... any thoughts on that aside from ¨Freaking Awesome¨?

15. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Episode 9 was great but after tonight I have doubts anything will surpass episode 10. That was just pure perfection. I'm losing it here, would someone please geek out with me over this? (!)

16. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Episode 10 was amazingg! They got engaged!! *^*

I really wonder who's gonna be in first place?? :astonished:

17. salad

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i personally like viktor's relationship with yuuri a lot. i love how he's so supportive of him and the fact that he's there for him. i'm amazed at yuuri's character development as well. i actually do like how they don't just focus on them. i like to get to know the other skaters and watch their performances as well.

episode ten made me thrilled (!)

18. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really liked episode 10! Even aside from the amazing (if surreal) news that Viktor and Yuuri are engaged.

What I liked about it was that it focused solely on the characters, their developments, and their interactions with one another. I know that it was kinda shoved in their last minute to make us feel more emotion for all the skaters in the upcoming Grand Prix Finale, but still, I like that they put it there.

I also really enjoyed an episode through Viktor's POV! Very cool.

Am I the only one who thinks Yuuri won't take home the gold at the Finale though? I really don't think that he will. I do think he'll be a medalist, but not gold. Maybe silver, or even bronze. (Though right now I'm thinking silver.) It'd be a really good example of his development as a character. That he's learned so much, and that he no longer thinks that the gold medal is the most important thing.

Of course maybe I'm wrong, and he'll take it. But eh, I currently have my doubts.

19. Eye Shine

No! Yuri needs to get a gold medal so he can marry Victor! Unless we get another season if he doesn't get gold and he marries Victor in Season 2. <3 XD

20. DianaLives

BOY! Episode 10 sure was a blast. I wasn´t actually expecting them to go that far, I was kinda thinking episode 9 would be an unresolved cliffhanger, but I guess not. Also who has other ships between the side characters that they are expecting to see happen, since apparently this anime is forgiving with the ships.