1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casting Call- Coming Out On Television

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by panda, Apr 3, 2009.

1. panda

2. Miles D

That sounds really interesting... I'd do it (if there were people I still had to come out to!)
    :grin:

3. MusicIsLife

I'd do it! My extended family still doesnt know.

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't do it, but I'd be very interested to watch the results.

I'm facinated by people's coming out stories.

5. Greggers

I personally hate the idea :frowning2:

Im already SO against shows like "John and Kate plus 8", "The 600 pound woman", "Intervention" and that show about the midget family.

It could be a good idea with some serious twisting i guess, but to me it seems like they are just going to follow around a struggling gay teenager in the most difficult and emotional time of his life, making some of the hardest choices he or she will EVER have to make, and exploiting it for a bunch heterosexual people to watch, gock at, and get entertainment out of.

Its not a documentary, its a television show. Its purely to entertain others. Its kind of sick putting other peoples misfortune or dire hours on television for the entire world to see. Why are people so obsessed with watching anything and everything that does not affect them in any way, or that seems different or bizarre to them? I can tell you right now that its not a whole lot of midgets and fat people watching these shows on A&E.

This Rent quote sums it up for me:

"My Life's Not For You To Make A Name For Yourself On! It's Not That Kind Of Movie, Honey"

I feel some things should be off limits to turn into a TV show. Were do we draw the line? If its a documentary or something educational, maybe i could see this being good. And if it was just A&E trying to help people come out minus the "filming every waking moment" of it happening that could be good too. But i just find it somewhat sickening that society seeks other peoples hardships, misfortune or differences as some form of cheep entertainment or guilt-killing method. I wonder how many people would watch this to feel better about there lives....

Well, all i know is that my coming out was not only extremely hard, but it was very personal and i would have wanted to keep it that was no matter what.

6. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I couldn't agree more. This show has absolutely no educational value and it's just made to fulfil people's morbid curiosity. I can't help but imagine an average redneck couple watching it and laughing at the 'fags' while silently praying that their kid doesn't become a queer.

The usual controversy revolving around programmes of this kind is whether the cases presented are real or not, and for the time being I'd be far more relieved if they were fake since I can't possibly fathom how could someone sell such an important part of their lives for a few bucks.

7. Miles D

(*hug*) (*hug*)
    yeahh. agreed.

8. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd do it, to teach people a fuckin' lesson.
    We're everywhere. We come in all shapes, sizes, races, genders, and occupations.
    People need to realize that.

9. Amy

Amy

Yes.
    And no.
    Like, I would if I could stop my grandfather from seeing it.
    Because that would just suck.

But it weren't for that, I totally would.

10. kevinx519

i do agree with you greg. but i think this show bears some merit. if its done right, i think this show could show how life for us really is. and i think itll show other LGBT that there are people just like them dealing with the same issues. i just hope it doesnt become a show purely for entertainment. ill give it a chance but theyd have to prove to me that theyre just some washup show in it for the money.

11. Just Emily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i wouldn't,
    but i would like to find out people's coming out stories,
    it intrigues me,

12. Emberstone

john and kate plus 8 is bad, I agree. They are exploiting their children for sponserships.

the octamom was a huge fan before she decided to have 14 kids, and she has been trying to get a reality show.

Those types of shows are exploitative. however, this one, a coming out show, I can see as helpful. If it can give in the closet viewers the chance to see someone coming out, they might feel braver about doing it too.

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>i think this show bears some merit. if its done right, i think this show could show how life for us really is.

The show will NOT be "done right". I'd wager every last penny I now own (and will ever own) on that. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. EM68

There is a show on Logo like that called Coming Out Stories. The show is not bad. I think there were only a few of them and they replay them quit a bit. Personally something like this is hard enough with out cameras around.

15. pirateninja

Unfortunately, the media would fuck it up. It just would.

As for if I was on it or if I would do it; on th coming out basis, I couldn't care less. I'm out to everyone who matters anyway. I just wouldn't do it because the producers/directors would just make it so sensational and untrue that would make it TV worthy. And everything reality TV worthy is exceptionally skewed anyway.

16. Mickey

I think if they had this regularly,on a gay station,it could be a good thing.
    The fact that it'd be on A&E,doesn't cut it,with me.
    I agree that coming out is a very personal thing,but it's up to the people on this show whether they want to do it in public,or not. I ,myself,wouldn't.

17. Zac4

no thanks

i'd definitely do real world tho

18. Markio

That's what I was remembering; thanks, EM68.:grin:

I like the idea of trying to present the idea of having to hide a part of yourself from the world because it's a real issue a lot of us have to face; but I think the idea that separates most people on the issue of homosexuality is whether it's chosen or not. I don't think exploiting the process of coming out will really say anything toward that idea...

I feel like people only watch shows that reconfirm what they already believe in, too. Try to understand different opinions, people! (Not us, we already do that! :icon_bigg)

19. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I would do it. I mean its backed by the people who produce "Intervention" which is the only show that brings me to tears at times. Its a great topic of study in psycology class as well just like the real world and JK+8 and all those "reality" shows. I think it would be done with good taste. My only question is...how much time are they going to spend on one story? I mean intervention has an interview with a whole family about one person and their problem. thats enough information to spend a whole hour on. How are they going to interview one person on a subject which probably the family has no concern or distaste over? Intresting...:eusa_thin