1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books and Book Recomendations

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ARC36, Dec 22, 2016.

1. ARC36

Thought I'd start a little conversation, being new and wanting to meet some people.

Anyone like to read? Just finished reading Vicious by V. E. Schwab and Flight by Sherman Alexie. Any book recommendations? I love a good anti-hero/villain protagonist.

Hit kinda a dry spell not knowing what to read next but really wanting something to occupy myself with.

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Libra by Don DeLillo stars Lee Harvey Oswald. I just started it, so that's along the lines you describe, and I love DeLillo, so I can't see how I wouldn't like this one.

I'm also reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. For those who like history tangled with magic realism, this is a top choice.

3. ARC36

Midnight's Children sounds great. Reminds me of a book I read a while ago called Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell. It's also rooted in history and magical realism.

A book staring Lee Harvey Oswald definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the recommendation.

4. carter01219

Out Status:
    A few people
    George by Alex Gino (i think) is really good its about a 10 year old trans girl

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you like reading Sherman Alexie, and if you haven't had a chance to read it yet, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is supposed to be pretty good.

One of my favourite magic realism novels is The Other City written by Czech author Michal Ajvaz. It is set in Prague, and the world changes at the periphery of the city. Statues opening up revealing secret passage ways, ghosts and talking animals fill a world that exists parallel to the every day.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2001: A Space Odyssey. The movie was figuratively, along with literally, out there, and extremely hard to understand in comparison. The book though, oh man. It's author, Arthur C. Clarke, was a peerless genius. It is at once easy to read, and quite powerful in its attempt at interpreting what may be out there awaiting discovery. And in the context of writing as art, having read 2001 had an immediate effect on the style of my prose. I wish he were still with us because I'd consider writing him a thank-you note.

A bit of trivia I noticed about it too: One thing he failed to predict in his vision of the future from 1968, along with pretty much every sci-fi author at the time, was the role of computers. Most everyone probably knows about the AI system called H.A.L. that runs the spaceship in the story, but he's a bit *too* advanced (despite his... glitch :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and outside the ship itself, computers are still sort of a niche tool. At one point he even refers to the use of good ole' typewriters on a permanent moon base. I suppose even the best of us are not perfect visionaries. :lol:

#6 Argentwing, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  7. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The uglies series!!! Read it!!!