1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you had a death note...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by anthracite, Jan 9, 2017.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

what would you do?

To those who don't know the anime: A death note is a little black notebook with infinte space that was originally owned by a god of death (shinigami). The person whose name you write in this book will die within 30 seconds from a heart attack. You may or may not add cause, circumstances and time of death. If the additional information are unrealistic, such as letting a person that is currently in Paris get hit by a cab in New York in 10 minutes, the person will die from heart attack.

You can also let people do stuff before their death, such as leaving messages or even money for you to find.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What would I do? Burn it.

3. Elysian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would like to think that I would have the morality like Chip here but in all likelihood (assuming that I don't have to trade my soul to a Shinigami) I would use it to exact justice like the anime. Not over-zealously just the odd retribution murder here and there.

Essentially this question is: "If you could get away with murder, would you?" and being real with you, I'd like to think that I would destroy the book- but what you would basically have is the key to run the world. You could play God and potentially achieve more than you would lose... and also potentially destroy the fabric of society and go into a tyrannical stupor drunk with power- but hey we all have our faults.

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...Yea, I'm gonna be real, I'd use it. I have a small list of people I want dead, or at least gone. But I'd try to have caution and not use it recklessly.

#4 AgenderMoose, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All rapists, human traffickers, serial killers, slavers, terrorists, child molesters. Essentially the scum of the earth that holds back the progress of humanity and exists entirely outside the bounds of my normally overreactive conscience.

I'm pretty sure that'd make for both a sore hand, and a better world.

6. Elysian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Essentially I'd probably follow these guidelines too, but I would mainly just go for the big fish and let humanity deal with the rest of it. Take out a few of the bigger targets, that would strike enough fear to prevent someone just taking the dead persons place and essentially repeating the cycle over and over again. Plus with the whole heart attack deal you could make it seem like an act of God.

This thread got dark af.

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I think I'd use it against heavily reproducing stupid people/IS/dictators. But no shinigami eyes. In times of Facebook this is unnecessary.

8. Elysian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not meaning to hijack your thread here...but you raise another interesting topic in itself in your comment.

Would you sacrifice half of your current lifespan in order to achieve the ability to see how long other people's real full names and life expectancy/ death date?

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No matter how much I dislike someone... I'm trying to think of the most evil person currently living... I have a hard time taking responsibility for their death, or even wanting them dead. Perhaps that's just me, but I don't think I could do anything else.

10. Elysian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think that I could kill someone I knew personally for anything that they've done to me; that's my business and I don't have murderous hatred for anyone. But if you presented me with the question; "are there people in this world that almost universally everyone alive would be much better off if they weren't in it" then I could probably think of quite a few examples.

To me, if I ever had the notebook, I would never use it for personal vendettas- THAT'S where you start to fall into the tyrant trope.

11. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@Chip: This is very noble actually. But think you could go back in time and could kill Hitler. Would you even let him live?

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel like I'd use it, not gonna lie. I would get rid of it after I'm done because I wouldn't be able to live knowing what I had done. I wouldn't use it against people I know personally in real life though.

For the record, you lose all your memories of the Death Note if you get it back to the Shinigami it came from. (The people still remain dead, of course)

You can also write down all the details of death then write the name before the details so you don't have to worry about the time limit of writing details of death (which I believe is 4 or 6 minutes?)

You can also get Shinigami eyes which let you see the name of a person by looking at their face. (drawings/pictures work too). The only cost is your remaining lifespan is cut in half.

You cannot make people kill other people with the death note, unless of course if you write their names too (but that's only true in the movie).

This is my favorite anime and manga. I love it so much. I'm obsessed.

13. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could say I wouldn't do it, but I am a very vindictive person.

I would probably save it for rapists since the law doesn't give them any punishment (to a proper extent) like they do for other crimes. Might as well make the world a safer place if they aren't going to be in prison.

14. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a list of people that I wouldn't mind dead. It could be fun...

Oh god, I sound like psychopath.

15. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very much so. :thumbsup:

16. Jellal

I'd keep it secret and use it just in case I felt I had to.

17. anthracite

anthracite Guest

So does everyone in this thread. Because deep down, we are. If murder was legal, not having killed someone until a certail age would be frowned upon, like being an old virgin :lol::lol:

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2017 at 03:18 PM ----------

Correction: Almost everyone. Chip sounds like a saint.

18. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably write one name into it and burn it then.

But I would probably just put it somewhere and hope that someone else finds it and knows what to do with it. ^^

--> Everyone has these dark, bad thoughts that would make one a psychopath if someone could read minds :wink:
    I know I have^^

19. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I disagree with the death penalty but I really hate Nigel farage, the leaders of "Britain first" and Mike pense. I guess that would be murder for opinions which suppresses freedom of opinion so I probably would leave it untouched just in case something happens.. I don't want to burn it

20. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd give it to L. :lol: