1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have You Seen Moonlight?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by alainbeaux, Jan 27, 2017.

1. alainbeaux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just saw the new movie Moonlight, and was totally floored by it. I found myself relating to the main character so much by the end of it. Like him, I've also formed emotional/romantic attachments to guys who could never truly love me back. The ending of the movie just got to me on a gut level. I mean, I usually don't feel that emotionally connected to a movie, even though I'm total movie buff. The other thing is, in terms of background, I couldn't be further removed from the main character of the movie: I'm a young college educated upper middle-class white guy who has never dealt with drugs, been in trouble with the law and, beyond being called "fag" in middle school, has never been abused by anyone. But, as a closeted gay man, accustomed to keeping my feelings hidden from everyone around me, I felt so close to him by the end.

I'm just curious, if you've seen Moonlight did you have a similar reaction in how it reflected your own experience of life, especially the feeling of unrequited love (I feel us gays experience this more so than straight people).

If you haven't seen Moonlight you absolutely must! It's raw, honest portrayal of a gay man's unreciprocated love for his friend surpasses what I found to be the awkwardly strained portrayal of gay romance in Brokeback Mountain. The only other movie scene I can compare the end of Moonlight to is the campfire scene in My Own Private Idaho. Both scenes are so close to my heart because it's so rare I see something that so accurately reflects a part of my emotional experience on screen. It pains me that such a heart-wrenching movie like Moonlight will undoubtedly loose at the oscars to La La Land which, though I liked the music, I found to be trite, fluffy, generic, boring, romantic drivel.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Watch the movie and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

2. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw it a few weeks ago. I am not one to get too emotional watching a movie, but this one got me. I was quite struck by it for similar reasons, that experience of unreciprocated love. I am really glad I saw the movie alone, because it was a personal film for me.

When I first came out to my sister in 2015, I joined an LGBT group near me and I ended up falling for someone hard. Through college I made no lasting friends, so when I was in a space where I was out and someone gave me the time of day, my emotions got the better of me. What at the time was heartbreaking and painful ended up being a real growing experience in my life.

I think Moonlight succeeds because it is a film about humanity portrayed in a very authentic way.

As for La La Land, I actually saw the film at TIFF in September, I didn't like it nearly as much as Chazelle's 'Whiplash' or 'Moonlight', but I am not upset it is in the Best Picture category this year, it is one of the few films from this year I could see myself re-watching in the future.

I absolutely agree that 'Moonlight' should be the winner for best picture. I will say, if Moonlight could only win either Best Picture or Supporting Actress, I would pick supporting actress, Naomie Harris was phenomenal.

3. hollychristina

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Excellent movie and it was my pick for my favorite film of 2016 and i am hoping it wins Best Picture as it was such a personal and groundbreaking film. Mahershala Ali was excellent as was Naomie Harris.

4. tulipinacup

I'm shocked that few knows about this on forum but I was honestly so floored at how emotionally invested I was in this film. I think it's a very personal film and should win Best Picture for the Oscars.

It's a beautiful film that was very well acted by the three actors playing Chiron. I don't think I can't see anyone portraying better than the three or even the supporting actors most especially Ali.

What sold me in this movie is the Score by Nicholas Britelli. My god does it always give me teary eye whenever I listen to it. After watching Moonlight, I listened to the soundtrack before falling asleep and it leaves me re-imagining scene by scene from each tracks.

5. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I saw the trailers and thought it seemed kinda too sappy for me.

I'm black and gay myself, so you think I would relate to the story.

It's not enough sadly in this case.

6. MadDog

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest, I just couldn't sit through it. I've tried multiple times but I ended up deleting it.
    I'm a movie freak and it was an important movie at the time. But I just couldn't watch it. Something didn't click, you know?
    I'll probably feel different in a couple of years. Sometimes it happens. I can't sit through a movie but yeats later it becomes one of my favorites!

7. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Outstanding movie! Definite two thumbs up.