1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes a good LGBT book?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Connorcode, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I'm curious to find out what people think about what makes a good LGBT book.

Obviously they don't all have the same purpose: some want to inform and educate more than entertain. Do you think one is more important than the other?

Are there any issues you think LGBT books in general have?

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What makes a LGBTQ book good for me? A captivating story and character development are always key indicators for me. It takes the reader on a compelling journey. The author needs to be able to write the story in a way that attracts a reader and keeps the reader’s attention. However, at the end of the day....I think that it comes down to personal preference.

3. Gay GenderFluid

Out Status:
    All but family
    I, personally, want an LGBT+ book that's just like the rest.

Why do books need to center around their sexuality/gender? I don't mind it, of course, but one day, I want to pick up a book that simply has characters that are LGBT+, and that there's no big dramatic scene involving it. It's just said character(s) is/are LGBT+, and that the book doesn't need to center around it in general. It's just... POOF! Surprise, character is queer/not-cis, and that's cool. But the story goes on. Maybe subtle hints? Character hints to it, but doesn't say it straight out? Or, character mentions it. But there's no "oooOOH NO YOU'RE GAY? WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS" or "YOU LIED TO ME" or something like that. It's just, the character's queer. And that's it.

In regards to "what should be in an LGBT book that centers around the LGBT factor then" question, I'd say it's simply a matter of portraying those ideas clearly and correctly. There are books that stereotype LGBT people (gay people are flamboyant, lesbians are tomboys, etc.) that just really get on my nerves (but that's just me). Write about the masculine gay boy. Write about the flirtatious lesbian. Write about the quiet bisexual. Write about the flamboyant asexual. Write about the smart agender. Write about the curious pansexual. Write about the long-haired trans boy. Write about the masculine trans girl. Write about the nervous genderfluid person.

... On that note, I want LGBT+ books that focus more on the "+" part of the acronym ... but that's another topic.

4. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Gay GenderFluid, that's exactly what I wanted to find out!

I agree, I find that some books (especially those focused on the "+" part but written by someone's who's not part of it) go for stereotypes because they think that's the easiest way to write a "safe, warm, optimistic" story for LGBT+ youth.

I'm also a bit annoyed at the "dumbing down" a lot of books focused on LGBT+ stories. Fair enough that you write in the YA genre, but that doesn't mean you have to write relatively short books composed mostly of fluff and a little angst (that goes nowhere).

5. Gay GenderFluid

Out Status:
    All but family
    Exactly!

I'm so glad to find someone that agrees with me. Most of the time, when I start to mention these kinds of topics, people around me (some of whom are not LGBT+) start to mention, “but [insert birth name], isn’t it fair that you have representation at all? I mean, come on, there’s some books about them, aren’t you satisfied?”

Well, not exactly. See, I'm usually categorized as "that gay". Yes, there's representation, and I'm glad of that. But it usually ends up being just lesbian, gay, and bisexual books. People often categorize LGBT+ people, and end up stuffing everyone into a closet while showcasing lesbians, gays, and bisexuals. Even then, trans people don’t often come into play, and even bisexuals are downplayed. It’s quite a pity that such a diverse community is seen by outsiders as just “homosexuals”.

I’m often annoyed at these things too. I’ve searched up presses that publish LGBT+ books (since I want to be a writer), and most books are erotic and made for people who enjoy reading same-sex relations not for the inclusion, but for stimulation. I understand that there are a lot of books that are like that but not slash, but where’s my damn book about a genderfluid pansexual and a non-binary asexual going on an adventure to slay dragons with their awesome magical powers????

6. foxaquatica

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want an educated writer for starters, if I have to read one more book where their sexuality becomes more about the sex than the reality of the relationship then I'm going to shoot myself, then the writer, then myself again.

You can tell when a writer just throws in an LGBTQ+ character in for the representation and fan-pandering. I just want a normal story, with normal characters, who just happen to not like the same sex, or are trans, or genderfluid, without it being a huge deal.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm a sucker for drama and angst, but that doesn't mean I don't want fluff and happiness once in a while.

People always make it seem important that the representation is there rather than if the representation is good or bad.

7. Terry Ja

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. and inside a dog, it's usually too dark to read.

8. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

So you're saying a good LGBT book is one read outside of a dog? :lol:

9. Sketchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had to join in this as I love reading and feel strongly about representation of LGBT+ in books. In response to the need for some more light-hearted YA books, has anyone read 'Carry On' by Rainbow Rowell? It's a silly spin-off of Harry Potter, and I thought it was great fun. But one of my favourite things about it is that one of the characters casually mentions that her roommate is a lesbian. She's annoying and so is her girlfriend; she's not a major character; she's mentioned like twice. But that's exactly why I love it. Just a couple of successfully dating run-of-the-mill ordinary (well, she's a pixie, but y'know) lesbians, mentioned off-hand, just fyi. It's nice to pretend there's a world where when you mention 'gay' etc., no-one's eyebrows rise.

10. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Not yet but it's on my radar! They have it at the local library but no one seems to ever take it out, so maybe I'll sneakily check it out.

11. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I personally like the ones that are just really deep stories with characters that happen to be LGBTQ+. I don't want to sound rude to authors out there, but from most of the lesbian books I've read, the issue is just the writing in general. I mean, I am way too picky with my books probably, but aside from The Price of Salt, by Patricia Highsmith, I haven't really found a lesbian book that I can connect with or stay interested in enough to read it to the end. For LGBTQ+ relationships, fanfiction and archive or our own seem to be the best places to find reading material. :slight_smile:

12. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it depends on what you're looking for, and what type of book you're after. There's a lot out there of course - LGBT history, LGBT fiction, LGBT social/cultural studies, LGBT politics, LGBT self-help, and so on.

As far as fiction goes, I admit I do prefer the happier endings. While the angsty, "Brokeback Mountain" type fiction has its place and is occasionally very good, it gets tiring when the LGBT characters are miserable and/or die in every story you read. :rolle:

13. randomconnorcon

I want books that don't use being LGBT+ as the main plot point. I love horror and fantasy, so I don't want characters trying to come to terms with being queer and/or not cis, I want their brilliantly queer butts out there, hunting monsters and saving the world.

As a writer and filmmaker, I hope to contribute. If I have to be trans and queer, I'm gonna milk it for all its worth. :grin:

14. Sketchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey Connorcode; EC won't let me post on your wall (I have to have 10 posts; I'm new) so I'll answer here :slight_smile: Carry On is probably the best example I have so far - only recently have I started reading LGBT+ literature, and as I'm sure you know it's quite difficult to find them! I also thought 'The Song of Achilles' by Madeline Miller was quite good - depends how you feel about Historical fiction, but as a YA book featuring a gay couple as the main characters, I feel it captures the stages of relationships well (uncertainty, crushing, blooming, experimentation, maturity etc.) I guess it depends on what you're looking for; something more serious/mature or lighter YA literature. (;

15. randomconnorcon

I haven't read Carry On - yet, I might look for it. I did enjoy Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertelli (I think that's how you spell it). It was funny, had both cute and slightly sadder moments, dealt with coming out, had some diversity, and - my favorite - a main character that read Draco/Harry fan fiction. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I'm making a list of these ones now so I don't forget. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda sounds so good! Another one I'll have to read :grin: