1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[The Walrus]Akira??!?[And Japenese Films]

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by InaRut, Apr 12, 2009.

1. InaRut

So I think I sorta understand what happened in this movie.

But...I'd like some clearing up...or...futhur explanation from you more anime-oriented EC'ers. I know it's a manga..and the internet says the movie (although well done) apparently leaves out some key information.

I guess like how WATCHMEN is also REALLY AWESOME if you've read the comic beforehand.

..ANYWAYS, so this is what I gather
    -So everyone techincally has the power to be a god?
    -Akira was made by the government...which somehow caused a nucleur war?
    -Tutsuno (or...wimpy super psychic guy) and the other psychic children (and Akira?) created a universe to hold Tutsuno. Galactic Prison...?

Yea...And one day they will return?

Just in terms of the theme of the movie...where did Akira come from? Is he really just the next evolutionary step in humankind...or was he man made to be so powerful. I'm really confused over that.

Otherwise, for an anime (*cough*) it was pretty good. After playing the game F.E.A.R I can see how that video game seems to be almost a DIRECT tribute (or as you more cynical people would say: rip-off) to Akira. Also...Trapper Keeper. I think there's a tribute in there too. As for the movie, what a mind-:***:.

My only complaint is...The Dragon Ball Z-ness of it. I really don't like anime because sometimes the spectacle gets to Fantastic and it sort takes away from the realism. For example...1000ft swords swinging at each other. Although this movie didn't have any of that.

Like it was cool...and then it got annoying once there was like 10 minutes of oblideration happening.

Just my oppinon!

ANYWAYS, I'm really kinda wondering what exactly I should be taking from this movie. Because as a film major...I feel like I should understand more then 10% of what this film has to say (although I only watched it once.)

...Whats with the evolution speech too? Something about an amoeba. I missed that

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Akira was an otherwise normal human boy who developed super-psychic powers during a government experiment, which caused him to lose control of his powers and destroy all of Tokyo. Subsequent testing essentially destroyed his physical body - all that was left were those little organs you see in the orange tubes. When Tetsuo came in contact with one of the espers, Akira's fellow test subjects, his mental powers also went out of control and he became the godlike figure you see in the rest of the movie. He completely snaps when he comes into direct contact with Akira's remains, turning into that giant morphing fetus thing. It takes Akira and all three of the espers to create an alternate dimension large enough to store Tetsuo where he can't damage our universe, but ultimately they all disappear and leave the ruined Tokyo behind.

3. InaRut

And that universe was the glowing ball at the end?

4. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    apparently so. the thing with the amobea was an example of what was happening to tutsuno.

As far as I know... Tutsuno was a mistake in the evolutionary line. Because he broke out of the testing and containment area he became a threat.

I gotta admit though... when he was growing into his surroundings and such... that disgusted me a lot.

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Was I the only one listening when they shouted "TETSUO" fifty goddamn times at the end of the movie?

6. InaRut

Hahahaha LOL
    true true...

But yah when she gets squished. O_O ick!

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend and I used to imitate the last half of the movie. I'd yell "Tetsuo!" and he'd yell "Akira!", and we'd keep doing that until someone told us to shut up...

I actually preferred Wings of Honneamise. But it's the plot there is a bit more...linear.

Lex