1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Boys Kissing book - Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Connorcode, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

First of all, I liked the book. However, I didn't love it in the way a lot of people seem to.

I'm reading it again before it has to go back to work out why this might be. Ultimately, I think it's an issue of context: I'm not a gay American teen reading it in North America. Simply put, the AIDS/HIV epidemic which is so significant to the book and the US was so much smaller where I'm reading it. Therefore when Levithan talks about this lost generation of gay men, I can't relate because as far as I am aware, they're definitely here - I've met them and am even related to a couple of them!

I've learned so much about the AIDS epidemic in the US through the book, and I do feel sorry that so many lost their lives needlessly, but is it bad I didn't have a strong reaction to this part of the book?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated, on historical context, the book in general, etc.

2. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is the book itself called?
    because i'm interested

3. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's literally called Two Boys Kissing and it's by David Levithan :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    And Connorcode, I don't think it's bad that you didn't have a strong reaction. Because like you said, you're not there so I guess there's some lack of connection? That's my take on it anyway. I probably wouldn't have a strong reaction either, I'm not American and I hardly hear about HIV/AIDS at all. I would definitely feel sympathy, as you did. I can't give any feedback on the novel, however, since I have not read it myself. I don't think I'm too big of a fan of David Levithan. I tried to read Will Grayson, Will Grayson which was written by himself and John Green and didn't enjoy it too much. I would be willing to give him a second chance though as this novel does sound interesting now :grin:

#3 Spot, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  4. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I think Levithan genuinely didn't think through how he wrote the Greek Chorus - of men who died of HIV/AIDS. It's difficult to write from a perspective of the generation before yours, but I think he might have been able to give them a clearer voice in the book.

It's not bad - I'd recommend it if you're into very positive, optimistic LGBT books. Most of his books have a central gimmick (not at all a bad thing) but he did found the PUSH imprint of Scholastic (focused on promoting 'edgier' material) I would have thought his own books would be more edgy.