1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of the YouTube channel Queer Kids Stuff?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Xemptor90, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Xemptor90

Xemptor90 Guest

The person who runs the channel is a woman named Lindsay. I obviously don't have anything against teaching about what it means to be lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, etc. However, her supposed audience are ages 3 up to 7 years old. I know that some people experience same sex attractions even as early as 5 but most people don't know for sure or have a clue of what their sexuality is until they are going through puberty which starts about 11 or 12 years of age. As a result, I feel the best time to teach about sexuality/gender identity is in middle school.

Also the way she explains things is very vague or may not be correct sometimes. For example,in her bisexuality video she says that people who like both boys and girls are bisexual. However, the word "like" is very ambiguous especially when you're trying to explain bisexuality to little kids. If you mention Lindsay's definition of bisexuality to a youngster, that kid might think that they're automatically bisexual and this can be very misleading. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I feel this needs to be addressed. I wanted to know if anyone feels the same way, as I do especially if you already know about this channel.

2. LuciferMorningstar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After 1. Video:
    I just watched the Welcome to Queer Kid Stuff! - QUEER KID STUFF THEME SONG and I don't know if it's the music or what but I really dislike it.

After 2. Video:
    I just watched B is for BISEXUAL! - LGBT: QUEER KID STUFF #10... The Theme song still pisses me off... I wouldn't let my kids watch it but I think the disabled comments and ratings aren't really needed. The Teddy is annoying, but I guess it's okay. I totally understand what you mean with vague. Like I said, I wouldn't let my kids watch it but it's aight I guess.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2017 at 10:12 PM ----------

And I don't like the name of the channel...

3. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Seems like a good idea, but it's easy for these things to go wrong. However it is a positive move towards educating kids about LGBT and getting them to understand these things, and think of them positively. Remember only 28 years ago, it was law that any local authority "shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality" or "promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship". At least we've improved from this.

4. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen like 4 episodes I think. I watched the L, G, B and T episodes as well as parts of the feminism episode. I think it's stupid, honestly. And everything is way too confusing for 3-7 year olds. I mean, a line in the theme song is "Gay means happy" which I find a little weird, especially when you're trying to explain that gay means homosexual. It's strange to discuss sexual attraction with kids, to me it's just creepy to hear words ending in -sexual on a kids' show. The descriptions are too vague too. Okay so, a bisexual is someone who loves boys and girls (I think that's what she said). When really, it's not someone who loves boys and girls, it's someone who's sexually attracted to men and women. Love is a far too broad term. I mean, little kids generally love their parents. If they love their mom and dad, are they going to think they're bisexual now?

And you're right to say that most won't know their sexuality until puberty, some do know but I don't think most will. Even during puberty, it can be a confusing time. You mentioned sexuality but also, I have known people who liked to pretend to be boys (if female) or girls (if male), or wear the opposite sex's clothing, even go by a different name during their childhood who did grow out of it and are cisgender. My brother used to wear dresses when he was 3 years old and still identifies as a guy now. My cousin is 3 now and does the same. There's also sometimes awkwardness and discomfort with one's body during puberty which is totally normal, although depending on the severity and if it lasts far too long (like mine did, age 10-present :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) then there's a problem. My mom hated her body after puberty, I mean literally wanting parts removed and she's fine with it now. I think just give it time. Wear whatever clothes, use whatever name you want, date whoever, identify as what you want and know that it's okay to be wrong too. Let's just say that I thought I was a lesbian, bisexual, gay, a tomboy, demigirl, agender, bigender, trigender, genderfluid, pansexual, asexual, demisexual, graysexual, autochorissexual. And I still don't have everything worked out. I can proudly say that I'm 75% sure of myself :grin:

I also think that at 3-7, if you are transgender or gay, you already know what it means and you probably don't need to hear Lindsey explain it. So why would you be watching "Queer Kid Stuff" in the first place? On a side not, a lot of people find the term "queer" to be offensive so why would you teach it to children? A better way to go about this would not to be having kids questioning their sexuality but rather using something like Heather Has Two Mommies or similar. Teach that some kids have two moms, some have two dads but that's okay because every family is different and the most important thing is that they all love each other...or just use one of those general "it's okay to be different" books...or whatever, I'm done now :lol:

Edit: And I agree that the teddy is annoying :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 Spot, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  5. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a creepy show that should never be viewed by children but its made for children. Makes it even more creepy. Not to mention irritating. The whole show can be replaced in two sentences: some kids have two moms, some kids have two dads. The end. Kids don't need a bigger explanation than that.

6. Xemptor90

Xemptor90 Guest

Like I said before, I definitely do think it's a good idea that young people are being informed about this and it is an improvement from being censored to talk about LGBT topics many years ago. So I agree with you on that. However, the way she's going about it is what I have a problem with. Most 3-7 year olds won't care very much about sexuality/gender identity and are infatuated with playing and being a kid. That's why I believe that when kids are in fifth/sixth grade these topics should be introduced up.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2017 at 09:40 PM ----------

I do really agree the theme song gets annoying after a while. I have much nothing against Teddy. I actually kinda feel sorry for Teddy because he's forced to endure this. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more confused after every episode. No sane person should let their kids watch this show. In fact a lot of teachers, parents, etc and even other LGBT people have spoken out against what she's doing. So if any parents let their kids watch this, they might have some problems.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2017 at 09:50 PM ----------

Yeah I agree. Most 3-7year olds don't care about sexuality/gender identity and just want to be kids. The only LGBT thing that kids around that age need to know is basically just what you said: that there are some same-sex couples in the world just as hetero couples.