1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films you appreciated more as you got older.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Canterpiece, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By this I mean films that you perhaps watched when you were younger, and didn't fully understand the more deeper aspects of the film until you watched it at an older age.

Personally for me, two films that fall into this category would be "Mama Mia!" and "Lilo and Stitch".

(Spoiler for Lilo and Stitch)

When I was younger, I'd focus more on Stitch and the aliens, but overtime I began to understand what had happened to Lilo's parents and it made me appreciate the character of Nani more.

(Spoiler for Mama Mia!)

Where to begin...I was quite young when I first watched Mama Mia and due to my parents' obsession with that film, I have watched it a lot over the years. As I have gotten older I have understood the jokes more, the themes of growing up and the daughter's concern for her mother, and the mother trying to cope with losing her daughter as her daughter grows up, along with the mother trying to understand what to do about the whole "Which one is the father?" situation and how in the end they both realise it doesn't even matter. Sometimes I look back on this film and wonder how on Earth I missed some of these things. It went from just a silly movie with wacky dancing, to quite an emotionally interesting one. :lol:- but I mean it is a bit of both really. :icon_wink).

Due to the nature of this thread I expect there will be spoilers, so don't forget to put any spoiler tags in that you may need. :eusa_danc

2. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a few but these are my main two...in order of least to most devastating :grin:

Finding Nemo (2003) - Actually, this is a bit personal for me. Because I was three years old when this came out and my brother and I basically watched this on repeat from three until maybe eleven. Then I rewatched it at fifteen. And there's that sort of theme about letting your kid do stuff on their own and growing up...made me reflect on my whole childhood :lol:

L'illusionniste/The Illusionist (2010) - Well, I was actually thirteen when I first watched this and I had three feelings.
    1) Boredom
    2) Confusion
    3) Fear
    Because there is no speaking in this film and it creeped me out, I literally thought there was going to be a jump scare at any moment or that it was going to go downhill and turn into some kind of horror film. Maybe I'm just a weird kid? I did watch it alone, that can't help. Plus, I didn't understand the plot. Then I watched again at fifteen and let's just say it literally made me cry and scarred me to this day. Don't know how sad this is supposed to be but it broke my heart.

3. kavu

Pocahontas - When I was younger I was just into the music and...ahem Kocoum. When I got older I realized it was not only based on an actual historical figure, but also reflected a very real trend of erasure of Native peoples and mass genocide. Not to mention there's a lot of environmental advocacy and awareness being promoted in the songs and the music which is still super relevant to how we abuse the land in modern times.

4. CurdledMilk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely Harry Potter movies for me - I remember watching them when I was younger but found them boring, but then I read the books and watched the movies again and loved every second...