1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop help?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by wherewulfe, Apr 13, 2009.

1. wherewulfe

hi im probably gonna try to buy a new laptop soon so would anyone have any suggestions as to like brand or type? im not really high maitmence i just need a good processor and a video card that can play movies. so please could someone just recomend a few to me?

no macs please btw

thanks

2. pianolover95

A dell. I have an inspiron and it's pretty good.

3. Greggers

^

Dell is bad imo :slight_smile: Im a computer guy, and in all my experiences Dell is THE most frustrating company to work with if you have any issues with your laptop. If your banking on wanting a decent warenty, as you should, then Dell is the SHITTIEST company in the world

If your laptop magically works forever and ever, then sure Dell is fine. I would not get it if your a realistic person and know that bad things may happen and you may need comp support.

Now my recommendations?

Toshiba Satalite brand is GREAT. I have my 1998 Satalite laptop that still works, and my new Satalite that is two years old and works PERFECTLY still.

Anything HP brand is also decent. It will do the job and do it well. Id recommend Toshiba above HP, but they both have good support so your dont doomed if something goes wrong :slight_smile:

I would not touch a Dell or Acer with a 10 foot pole however. NO one can make me get one because they both suck suck suck suck suck and NOT in a good way :wink:

4. Starshine16

I had a lousy expereience with HP.I bought a laptop from them 3 years ago and this past July the hard drive died and so I got a replacement.8 months later my computer crashed again thanks to a second hard drive crash/death whatever you want to call it.The customer service was awful and the lady who I talked to was rude.Plus the warranty was pretty lame.

So in February I bought myself a Toshiba and I have not had a single problem with it.It is great.

I would recommend Toshiba.

5. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  6. Lychee

No Macs?

Well, there go all my ideas :slight_smile:

Mac <3

7. Nitro

Not to make a recommendation, but rather to provide a dissenting voice - not I, nor any of my close acquaintances (with which we might discuss things like this), have enjoyed the Toshiba trackpads. Petty? Not when you know how much better it can be.

8. Colly

That's far from petty. You're using the trackpad constantly, so it has to be awesome. But I've never had an issue with a Toshiba's Trackpad, but I guess it just comes down to personal preference (and the trackpad Toshiba use for that particular model).

I second greggers on the Toshiba Satellite opinion. They have other lines as well if you require better portability, performance or business sense. Take a look at the toshiba website for the whole range and pricing. www.toshiba.com

The Current Apple portables are awesome. While Apple have had a bit of a rocky road in the past when making laptops, there's always fantastic support to back them. If you choose to switch, you may need to re-purchase software for OS X. get in touch with the software vendor of your most used applications to see if they can work something out for you in the way of obtaining Mac copies.

One last tip - always buy an extended warranty if it's offered. It's worth the extra bucks, just in case something does happen/

9. Helen

Helen Guest

Whatever you choose to do, don't buy Acer.

I'm not even going to begin going into the troubles I've had with this current Acer Aspire laptop, but I would agree with Rosina and say that HP is a rather good brand to go by - watched her play the Sims 2 on it myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a gamble. Everything's more or less the same and they'res good and bad stories of all brands (including the Almighty Apple). I know people with good and bad luck from all brands. I'd personally pick anything but an Acer.

My personal experience with Dell has been good, and the laptop I have from HP (also a dv6000) is known for exploding (and has the warranty to two years by HP. Don't know if you know this Rosina Chicita)

Anything on the market is more than capable of playing low def videos, and most anything made in the past couple years can play high def without a problem. Personally I'd avoid "Intel integrated graphics" of any type as it is $@!& in the purist form.

11. paytah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dell can be pretty good if you get a higher end model. In that case it's just a question of bad customer support. Personally I'm still using an old inspiron which only works because I cannibalized a few parts from another laptop which was also broken. It's functional, but not enjoyable to use at all.

In general I agree with Toshiba. There's also Sony, which hasn't been mentioned, but as long as you take care of the computer they're pretty good as well.

12. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sony is generally overpriced.

As far as Dell, I have a 9 year old Optiplex desktop that's even more solid than the day it was made (since it no longer runs Win98 :slight_smile:, my dad, brother, and mom's friend all have 5 year old Dimension desktops that haven't had a problem, my uncle, brother, sister, and dad's work all have Dell laptops that haven't had problems, and in business settings I haven't seen Dell failures and more common than any other make.