1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When older authors write about the Internet... they get it wrong

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Connorcode, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I have a problem: whenever an older reader starts to give their opinions and observations about the Internet in a book, it puts me off reading.
    I've never seen an older author resist the temptation to have a go at the Internet and the young people have grown up using it. They always write about how "deceptive" it is and how much of an "illusion" it creates. They are condescending to younger readers, who clearly can't handle the "myriad information served up to them everyday".
    In my experience, YA authors are particularly guilty of this. They don't seem to get that, if you've grown up with the Internet, young people tend to be pretty savvy with it - you won't get taken in by clickbait and fake news. You can work out what information is valuable and which isn't.

Thoughts?

2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Settle down there sonny. Us old timers have been on the web since before computers.

3. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    *points shaky finger* Well youngster, back in ma day..!!! BACK IN MA DAY !!! Internet was handmade! HAND MADE!!!

; )

I grew up first with phone internet, oh the times. Internet was soo special.

What I believe is younger people get a loaaaaaaddd of information right from the start. And it changes things. Young people know way more, where we (31 btw) have to discover those things via mouth to mouth, or etc.

I dont know what that does to the new generation, but I do believe all this data available creates the stronger illusion (because people can look everything up now) for the youth that they must know it all. Young people always feel they know it all ( me to). And now with internet, they just do know more then the older generation did. Information that is. Pure black and white information.

I do believe that internet availability can take out the resourcefulness a bit..how do you figure something out if you have no internet ? For the rest , only time could tell. Only time could tell.

With the clickbait stuff, I am not sure if growing up with internet nowadays helps to show that, I grew up when it was not so user friendly and I am a bit of a computer nerd so I do know the layers behind it. I dont believe growing up with it makes you see deception easier. It depends on the school,parents, and the person itself.

And about fake news, that has nothing to do with age I believe. A site can look pro, real, and convincing that could happen to anyone. I always tell my 11 year old niece, always check the sources and dont believe anything you read just like that !

*grabs cane and goes sit on the porch..rocking chair and points at the youth...BACK IN MA DAYYY!!!! Internet was handmaaaadeee!!!! *echoes* *

Hope I make sense

#3 PianoKeys, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that I've been using the Internet since it was the DARPANet (circa 1978), and am generally a pretty tech-savvy guy, I would suggest that your statement is ageist and would be more appropriately aimed at those who aren't tech-savvy (or, more precisely, Internet-savvy.)

There are plenty of people in their teens who have little to no Web fluency, and plenty of people in their 80s who could run circles around your (or my) knowledge of the Web's history, architecture, the changes it has brought about (good and bad) and pretty much any other Web-related cultural or technical history.

So... please be cautious in how you think about and present things. :slight_smile:

5. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Sorry guys. This is what happens when I don't think about things. Apologies.

Everything you guys have brought up makes me understand what these authors were getting at, but sadly they didn't express it as well as you have. Thanks for helping me understand (and for putting me in my place haha)

#5 Connorcode, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  6. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is also true that for time out of mind the older people have been decrying the many shortcomings of the younger generation. There may be some of that attitude in the books you are reading.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, be careful. Some older people do this. Plenty of others don't.