1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disney Movies’ First Ever ‘Exclusively Gay Moment’ In New ‘Beauty and the Beast’

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AlexJames, Mar 1, 2017.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Saw this browsing through my homepage today. What do you all think? I saw the original as a kid, but i don't remember it too well. I wasn't into the princess movies but my mom felt obligated to introduce them all to me anyways. Here's the link: Disney Movies

Do avoid the comment section. Its incredibly disheartening, upsetting, and it really pissed me off too. Normally i like perusing peoples opinions unless its politics but this one...i would have been much better off not realizing just how homophobic people can be, and how numerous they are. :icon_sad:

IMO i think its just fine. Growing up Disney movies were full of very real content. My favorite movies were The Lion King and Bambi, and both films feature things much scarier to little kids like animated violence and character death. The movies featured absent or deceased parents, stories like Cinderella were the daughter was mistreated by her stepmother, parent deaths, and violence. So i think this brief moment of a man figuring out his sexuality is just fine...it'll probably fly over their heads anyways. I don't mind them changing and modernizing a live action film either. I think you have to, in this day and age, especially with the princess movies.

#1 AlexJames, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
  2. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm very glad Disney has been trying to get LGBT representation in their shows and movies. They also just had their first gay kiss in a cartoon. I really enjoyed the original and always headcannoned a few of the characters as gay so it's nice to see it actually be a real possibility.

Yeah, I stumbled upon a few of Disney's comment sections like for Good Luck Charlie having a lesbian couple show up in the show. Horrible, horrible comments. I am glad that despite the backlash Disney is still giving representation.

Yes, exactly! There was violence and death. But, for some reason gay people is worse to children than that according to parents? Lol. No. I'm really looking forward to this movie. I think they seem to be trying to modernize it in a way that keeps true to the old movie.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I agree. I actually tolerated Beauty and the Beast's original movie as a kid. Belle was depicted as being bright and intelligent so i found her much more relatable than the other Disney princesses. Her relationship with the Beast was nice to watch. I think the message there is a lot more wholesome than the traditional Disney princess movie, so i think adding a gay questioning character fits right in. And like you said, with the original its quite easy to headcannon an original character or two as gay, anyways. It fits right in.

4. Jellal

I see the vitriol in the comments coming mostly from parents who feel like Disney is pushing the long, hard, throbbing gay agenda down their throats. They don't see being gay as an acceptable lifestyle, and even if they don't have a deep problem with it and feel "gays can do their thing and I'll do mine," they still don't want to present homosexuality to their children. I'm not sure how you change the mind of someone who feels that way, however I'm fairly certain of two things—calling them idiotic bigots like the white knights in the comments are doing won't work (#1) and having the company that makes their kids' entertainment slip homosexuality into re-makes of their classics gives off the effect of talking down to conservative parents by preaching "proper liberal morality" (#2). And it is true that in our entertainment-centered culture, media promotes certain values. You might agree with the social values Disney's promoting here, but others do not.

On a side note, I think it's hysterical that we live in a timeline where soccer moms are shrieking about Lefou being gay for Gaston. This is the kind of human stupidity I adore.

5. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yesss, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Most of these people are dead set on boycotting now no matter what is said. It's funny that the argument is "But-but think of the children", when some kids ARE gay and the gay characters are being represented the same as the straight characters. Such as, they're not being overtly sexual like those opposed are saying they are. And yes, with point two it adds to why they think it's gay agenda.

Ahaha xD "This is not my ship!" :roflmao: