1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spielberg VS Burton (+ any movie director suggestions)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Canterpiece, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, for a project I need to research a film, write a review for it, and write a bio/research folder on a film director.

Currently, the two directors I am considering basing my media project on are Steven Spielberg and Tim Burton... however I am open to suggestions to any film directors that you think I should look into, or any particular films.

Do you enjoy either of the directors' work? Which one? Why? Which director do you prefer? What director's work do you particularly enjoy? Any suggestions?

:help: :help: :help:

:frowning2:

#1 Canterpiece, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I would go for a less talked about filmmaker whose films are still well known or well liked.

Gore Verbinski comes to mind. He did the first three Pirates of the Caribbean films.

There's Luc Besson, who did The Fifth Element and Lucy. His other works are quite strange and interesting to look deeper into.

And there's also John Carpenter, Don Bluth (if animated films count), Ridley Scott, and Jon Favreau.

#2 MisterMissy, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
  3. Lazuri

Just play this and leave the classroom.

[YOUTUBE]_wYtG7aQTHA[/YOUTUBE]

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: I guess this thread just called for an ERBOH video considering the title and all. :grin:

#4 Canterpiece, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  5. FlowerOfLife

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Spielberg and Burton are amazing no doubt...

But I think directors like Jim Jarmusch or Wes Anderson are not to be forgotten.

And of course: Kubrick, Kurosawa, Scorsese, and so many more...!!

Depends on what sorts of movies you like too. But I would choose a rather complex and rich movie regarding camera movements and colour...also maybe something you can relate/connect with previous movies or art movements (which always looks good in a school project).

Good luck with it anyway!

#5 FlowerOfLife, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
  6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. :slight_smile: It's actually for an University course interview, and I need to create a project for my portfolio. I just hope it turns out alright.

7. Justinian20

If you want a very interesting director, you could always do David Lynch.

8. YeahpIdk

Julia Ducournau just popped up on the scene a few months ago with her indie flick, RAW. People in the showings were passing out from the film. You may want to look into her and other directors who are more indie. What about Ava Duvernay, Danny Strong, or the directors of Moonlight ?

Spielberg and Burton (LOVE Burton) are so well known...it would almost be boring to write about them, no? Lynch, too. I love his work and the way he thinks, but why not look into some directors people don't know that much about, and who raise voices. Even look into documentary filmmakers. Idk, just something to think about!

9. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christopher Nolan is my favourite director. I love his cerebral style and how he can have just the right measure of darkness in his films, while still retaining thoughtful and inspired stories. He is ambitious and has never disappointed me.

Out of the two you mentioned, I prefer Burton because - while he is not as critically acclaimed - I appreciate his uniqueness. He is a unpredictable and I like that. And also a lot of his films have alienated characters which I can relate to.

10. Justinian20

An interesting thing I did for a college Screen History Essay was I compared Tim Burton with David Lynch and analysed who was more influenced by German Expressionist cinema. I thought David Lynch had a mindset and the way he made movies was more similar to German Expressionism while Tim Burton only really follows the German Expressionism style visually, like the curved buildings and really jagged hallways. Yet with David Lynch you mostly have horror and very artistic cinema which I think reflects German Expressionist cinema more than Tim Burton.

Although something to consider maybe go after Directors of Queer Cinema, so that you can have a deeper look at Queer Cinema and the people that make these films and who the influences of these guys and girls are. What visual styles do they have, do they have specific narratives.

#10 Justinian20, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  11. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would recommend Micheal Bay. Wait wait, don't roll your eyes. Even though many people hate him, even to the point where he's basically a walking meme, I think he's a great director. While he does have many glaring issues (misogyny, racism, overuse of shot and FX) he has a very unique style. Under all the explosions and hate, he is very fun to analyze by himself, but paired with another director to compare with, it would work great. Perhaps James Cameron or someone similar, but Speilberg would also be a great comparison.

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting concept, comparing two directors like that and pointing out each of the director's flaws. However, I think I'm gonna pass on doing about Micheal Bay, I'd rather do about a director I can actually stand yet at the same time write constructive criticism about.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Darren Aronofsky is a genius in my book. His films are breathtaking with their visuals and are almost poetic with just their visuals. David Cronenberg also comes to mind as well.