1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it ethical to steal a concept for a short story competetion?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mollyismyname, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Mollyismyname

I'm signing up for a short story competetion, and if you win you get your story published as an actual book. However, I wonder if it's ethical to steal the "concept" of this short film to write about?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOJgDW0gPI

Basically, the ONLY thing I'm gonna steal is the "reversed" world where homosexuality is the norm. There is another short film that did this, too.

2. Justinian20

A concept is a concept it actually depends on the way you put it, like maybe you tell a different story but with the same concept applied. So personally as a filmmaker I think it's not unethical to take a concept but make it yours with creative use of the concept, don't just take the video and submit it as a short film because that is unethical.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A malleable concept on it's own should be fine.

For example, I know there's a ton of "zombie apocalypse" media out there, they share the concept but tell the story in different ways. In a similar manner we have Star Wars, Star Fox, Star Trek, all in space with advanced tech, yet beyond similar title choices and theme, they're all quite notably different.

Just as long as you aren't tracing it word for word and porting/"recolouring" the characters without permission, I see no issue.