1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit baffled...Miss California

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jonah 4, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    While, I can agree that I think her comments were ignorant/wrong I don't understand the fuss. She's upset because she didn't get first, believing its becasue she's against gay marriage. At the same time other people are upset that she even made it that far. In all honesty, that seems little more than an effort to stifle free speech(something I value more than even marriage equality). So yeah I was wondering if anyone here had any insight into the specifics. I don't watch the pageant so I'm a little bit clueless.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517215,00.html

2. Amy

Amy

From a professional standpoint, the judges were mainly interested in the what she actually said, not her veiws. I think she did an awful job answering in both respects. She said that she thinks that it is amazing to live in a country where everyone has the oppurtunity to choose same-sex marriag or "opposite" marriage. Then she said that she did not believe that same sex marriage should be legal. Although, in comparison to other answers, this was rather well stated.

3. Dazed

Dazed Guest

to be honest i really dont give a crap about miss USA

what does she even do???

and when she said that marriage should between a man and women, that jusr proves how stupid she is.

4. RaRa

"No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Pathetic. You see, as a human being, she has (or should have) the wonderful ability to think for herself. Being raised like that has nothing to do with it. My Psychology teacher from Tenessee was "raised in hickville" and yet she's not ignorant, and she thinks for herself. These people choose to continue thinking like this. She didn't, and that's why she's different.

These people can't think abstractly.

5. TripleM

TripleM Guest

I saw this online and I couldnt believe it.
    I mean she was not judged based on her answer. They are judged on how they answer the question. She lost because Miss. North Carolina answered her questions better and also performed better. I dont know what the big fuss is tho. She has a right to her beliefs and a right to speak them.

6. djt820

The Miss OH-LOOK AT ME, IM A BIG ATTENTION WHORE competition. The women on that show never seem to be intellegent.

7. Shevanel

That's not a nice thing to say :frowning2:

8. Greggers

Apparently the mother of miss new mexico or something was yelling "Its in the bible! Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!" in the lobby after when some people started getting in a fight over this haha

Whatthebuck told me everything i know on this event, so yea...

9. kramer362

Whether or not she agrees with me, she sucks because her answer was idiotic and just plain incorrect. In this country you cannot choose same sex or opposite sex marriage... some states perhaps but nowhere near enough to generalize the entire US.

10. Emberstone

I felt she was railroaded by the question.

But then she opened her mouth, and said its amazing to live in a country where you can choose same sex marriage of *teehee, this made me giggle* Opposate... marriage.

Where she really angered me was the whole "but I don't think it should be legal, thats what i believe" part.

It contradicts her first half of the answer. One second it is "yay for freedom of choice and equality" and went to "but you only get that freedom and equality if I agree with it."

Thats like saying, "I hate hitler for what he did, but god I love having less jews in the world."

Bad example, I know... but still, she is such a hypocrite.

11. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Dear Miss.California,
    Well thats what happends when you let "your looks" lead your life. You blame everything on everyone else because your "there-is-no-way-im wrong-looking-this-good" complex is sooo out of date.

Now as for your answer, you didnt loose because of your values and ideas, these are a couple of reasons why your answer lost you Miss.North Carolina's current title as Miss USA...
    1)Its was soooooo disorganized.
    2)What is opposite marriage?
    3)Americans are able to choose one or the other...one or the other what?
    4)I was confused as to what country you were raised in.
    5)In your family youthinks you believe (way to show you stand your ground) that gay marriage is wrong.
    6)You says no offense to anyone out there...if you know its going to be an offensive answer then why on Earth would you say it knowing it would loose your chance at winning the title there for you shouldnt be blaming your non exsistant title on anyone but yourself because you knew the moment you answered the question you could quite possible loose.
    7) The question is, DO YOU THINK OTHER STATES SHOULD FOLLOW SUIT(allowing gay marriage) WHY OR WHY NOT?

Your final answer to your question " well I thik its great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. Uh,We live in a country that you can choose same sex marraige or opposite marriage and you know what in my country and in my family I think that I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, no offense to anybody out there but that's how I was raised and thats how I think, that marriage should be between a man and a woman"...
    -Miss California 2009

ok I dont care what you believe, if marrige should be between a man and a woman or or not...you didnt answer the question, you only implied an answer. You beat around the bush.

8) And there was more than one judge on the pannel. Dont blame Mr.Hilton, he's just expressing his views how you expressed yours, (just a little angrier). Miss.California you wernt wern't asked to express your views on marraige but rather use your stance on it and a concrete idea (which you did not use) to justify a reason why states should not or should not continue to legalize gay marraige.

Im so done :cP

12. Emberstone

this reminds me of the one a few years back where she was asked about education in america, and the contestant went on about how people in iraq dont have maps.

She proved the blonde california girl stereotype. She didnt even answer the question, and her answer contradicted itself.

13. Coldflame

I don't agree with her but I think she had every right to say it. She's just dumb for complaining about it. The judges have every right to remove her from the competition if they feel her answer was not ideal. That's their job! If I was in that competition and I said "I think all gay people should be segregated from the rest of society" (obviously I don't...though if we turned it into a giant party:eusa_danc), that would be my belief but it would still get me kicked off.

Besides, any sentence you start with "no offense..." has a pretty good chance of getting you the boot. Even she should have realized that.

14. Tim

Tim

And the other thing she said "choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage" confused the hell out of me.

Multiple things were wrong with that one part of the sentence, let alone the entire answer.

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Which is probably why I agree with it. Of course, not putting the apostrophe in I'm and misspelling "intelligent" doesn't give much credibility, but I must admit, the Miss USA competition is almost strictly about looks, not brain capacity. I'm sure there are a few smart ones thrown into the mix, but in the end, most of it comes down to who looks best in a swimsuit.

16. pirateninja

Quite frankly, I think she's just pissed that she didn't win, and trying to take a "Holier than Thou" attitude to it.

I mean, think about it, if the backlash was really having little effect on her, then why is she going on talk shows saying "OMGZZZ it cost me my crown!"

She's an idiot. The other chick won. Deal with it and stop BAWWWing about how people don't agree with you.

17. SirBoobalot

Maybe I'm missing something.
    Surely she lost because she has boring hair, no tits, an expression like a dazed beaver, is so bony that I'd not shake her hand for fear that her arm would snap off, and is just generally unattractive?
    Or am I missing the point of beauty pageants these days? :/

18. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. There are a lot more worrying attitudes towards homosexuality in the world so I find it difficult to care much about some woman in a Miss USA competition not agreeing with it. It's her right to have that opinion if she wants to, whether we like it or not.

What I think is shitty is Perez Hilton attacking her for her opinion. If he didn't like her answer then he shouldn't have asked the question, and he should get off his fucking high horse and stop making gay rights activists look bad. You can't argue that opponents to gay marriage are intolerant and then go around calling them "dumb bitches" because they have a different view to you. That just makes you a hypocrit.

19. Just Adam

i just dont care shes a woman with a small mind and small ambition if she will get worked up on miss usa when what does miss usa do... open a library or do a small appearance ata sports event somewhere thats not important :| the whole thigns redundant and they should of just said huhu good for you ... next. i believe in free speech .. just a shame some people dont know how to speak its a bit like the saying theres no stupid questions just stupid people :slight_smile: i give u miss usa...maybe a bit harsh but im ill so meh :slight_smile:

20. djt820

I usually dont pay attention to typos. I make alot quite often. But thanks for pointing that out!:thumbsup: