1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardcore/metal lgbt homies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AriKari, Apr 14, 2017.

1. AriKari

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm really just wondering if there's any lgbt people around here who are fascinated or involved in their local hardcore and metal scenes. Music is a big part of my life and dancing/moshing at a show is a great way for me to relieve stress or even just have a good time. I love all kinds of music in general, but the metal and hardcore scene is where I dwell. I'm not familiar with almost anyone in my scene, although I've talked to a few peeps I see regularly.

This isn't a thread about anything specific. I'm just looking to connect with some like-minded people.

I really enjoy deathcore, beatdown, hardcore, etc. Anything that warrants violent moshing:bang::eusa_doh: and two-steps ya herrr.:eusa_danc(!)

Bands include The Last Ten Seconds Of Life, The Acacia Strain, Body Count, Suicide Silence, Like Moths to Flames, Turnstile, Angel Du$t, Counterparts, Despised Icon, and Tha Wiggle$.

Get at me ya'll :thumbsup::kiss:(&&&):icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

2. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Metal punk here! I love old school hardcore punk or bands that have the old school sound, As well as Thrash, Crossover, Death Metal and some black metal and early grindcore as my "Extreme" tastes go. It's always cool to meet LGBT people into this stuff. :slight_smile:

#2 Cauldron, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  3. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Between the Buried and Me, As I Lay Dying, Lamb of God, Atreyu, Whitechapel, A Dozen Furies, August Burns Red, Chelsea Grin....that's pretty much it for Hardcore but I also like bands like Opeth and Cryptopsy. Death, Entombed, Cannibal Corpse....I'm more into Death Metal.

4. AriKari

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dope! Napalm death comes to mind! I love me some old school death n roll type stuff, Death, Pantera, Lamb of God. Love all kinds of varieties of metal. Anthrax has some great riffs, but I just don't like those vocals haha

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2017 at 03:45 AM ----------

Colors is an absolutely perfect album. I dig btbam, especially live. I rediscovered some Atreyu tracks as well recently and love that. ABR's last album is mooooney, and of messengers is beautiful nostalgia. I wish Chelsea Grin had kept up better...
    Death metal is fun for me too. I really dig the fast paced stuff. Great fun on guitar. Any Opeth recommendations? (specifically referring but not limited to Opeth)

I'm jamming The Contortionist right now. Language is such a great album.

5. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hazelblue, I have a band you might like, Check them out if you want.
    [YOUTUBE]Z9V95JX-N88[/YOUTUBE]

6. CameOutSwinging

The night before Thanksgiving in 2015, a friend and I were on the train from NYC to Philly to see The Wonder Years (totally not this genre of music, haha) and we ended up sitting next to this really cool lady who was talking to us most of the trip. When we told her why we were going to Philly, she asked if we knew this band August Burns Red. We do, heck I've seen them play at Warped Tour. So she says cool, the lead singer is my nephew. She was on her way to spend the holidays with him. And they were doing a show in Philly that night too.

She also recommended a great place for us to get cheese steaks. (!)

7. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Love stuff like death, black and thrash metal... Slayer, Amon Amarth, Iron Maiden, Dying Fetus, Gorgoroth etc. etc. Absolutely epic stuff!

Need to listen to more music actually...

8. AriKari

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Wonder Years are fantastic! They're welcome in any thread! haha That's pretty cool you talked with a member of abr's family. I've seen them several times. They always put on a great show. I've yet to have a real Philly cheese steak... how was it?

I was into gorgoroth for a minute! (several years ago.) Carving a giant was one of my favorites. I also understand that Dying Fetus should be dropping an album this year!! \m/

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2017 at 08:25 PM ----------

That Bones track was decent. I didn't think it was anything special, but I don't think raw stuff like that really has to be to enjoy it. :thumbsup::eusa_danc Thanks for the recommendation!

#8 AriKari, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, we don't have much of a metal scene up in my area (as far as I know). So I can't really name anyone local.

My tastes are scattered, and there's a few that I like but I haven't heard much of their work or their discography is hard to come by. I'm a sucker for heavy metal, death metal, goregrind, folk metal, power metal, and certain kinds of black metal I don't mind. I love looking for the weirdest of the weird out there; especially the lesser known stuff from overseas and in countries you didn't think would have an amazing metal scene; like Svaldbard, Greenland, Iraq, and Tibet.

Some I can think of off the top of my head that I dig and jam to if I get in the mood would be Lucifer's Hammer (the band from Michigan, not Chile), Macabre, General Surgery, The County Medical Examiners, Helloween, Caninus, Hatebeak, Cattle Decapitation, Falconer, Blind Guardian, Necrophagia, Red Star (though it's likely a hoax group) Hammerfall, Overthrust, Skinflint, Within Temptation, Arctic Spirits, End of Green and a couple dozen others that I can't think of. There's a lot of others I've been meaning to check out; like Bal-Sagoth.

Again, my tastes are really out there and weird. :slight_smile:

#9 Daydreamer1, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  10. MichealStrider

Yes
    Hello
    I am Here
    and'
    I am Queer

11. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    DUDE! The fact that you like Macabre and Lucifer's Hammer makes you even more awesome! :thumbsup:

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Death Metal (especially when it has the swedish 'chainsaw' guitar sound), Black Metal, Power Metal, and Industrial Metal. One of my fave songs is Idol by Anaal Nathrakh

Hardcore isn't my cup of tea. However, I enjoy some Deathcore songs... for example; Senseless Massacre by Rings of Saturn

What are the best Gorgoroth and Dying Fetus albums, in your opinion? You see I've never really listened to them

Bal-Sagoth are sick! The artwork of "The Power Cosmic" CD caught my attention and the music exceeded my expectations. BTW I listened to Hatebeak a few weeks ago. Hilarious as hell but I just couldn't get into the music

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw, thanks!

I found Macabre by chance way back when I was in high school and prepping myself for a future in the forensics field. Needless to say, clicking on a video with "Jeffrey Dahmer and the Chocolate Factory" was one of the best choices I ever made.

With Lucifer's Hammer, it sucks that they're so underrated and that physical copies of their work are pretty rare. I found out recently that back in the late 80s, one of their albums and a few master tapes (I believe) wee destroyed in a house fire. At least on member of the band will leave comments on videos with the tracks or albums to answer fan questions; which is super cool. He was one of the original bassists I think, and said if it was up to him, they would still be together.

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2017 at 02:34 PM ----------

It's all good. I know people who can't get into Caninus for the same reason.

14. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not really into post-hardcore or deathcore, but I do like a lot of death/black metal. Anything from like Behemoth and Septicflesh to Darkthrone and Marduk to Opeth and Insomnium. Melodic death metal being my favorite<3. But, I like most types of metal anyway.

#14 Blood Elf, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoops, just noticed I messed up one of the bands. It should be Red War and not Red Star. Also, anything from the Traces of Death soundtracks I'm pretty cool with.

#15 Daydreamer1, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  16. CameOutSwinging

Wonder Years are my favorite band. Seen them 9 times so far and love each and every experience. And you must have a cheese steak soon as you can!

More related to the thread, I saw Bleeding Through in 2006 opening for Senses Fail...they were awesome, but it was my first experience at a concert with a metal band and I was definitely scared, haha.

17. SchizoBurrito13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Metal, Rock, and Punk lover over here, i grew up on Like Moths to Flames, Suicide Silence and Cannibal Corpse

18. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Questions for all metal fans...

How do you resolve the dilemma of whether to turn up your current song and potential lose your hearing in a few less years or save your ears by keeping the volume down?

If someone cute comes up to you while you're listening to Cannibal Corpse, Gorguts, Dying Fetus, Slayer or some other band, do you say you're listening to that band or not?

What spells do metal bands such as Slayer or Metallica use to make you automatically headbang the moment certain songs come on?

How do you not sing along to Rammstein, regardless of whether you speak German or not?

How do you describe the pain after you try to sing black metal when you're thirsty?

Peace

19. guitar

Metal fan here. I would play "pop metal" around my boyfriends. The heavier stuff is for private listening.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) I'm hard of hearing, so I'm kind of screwed with how loud I can enjoy something without someone getting mad at me for it. Depending on the track, I can enjoy most stuff comfortably at 25%. But if it's a low quality bootleg like the stuff Red War did, then maybe 35%.

2) I usually only mention names of who I'm listening to if they'd ask, since I don't expect most people to know who half the people I listen to are.

3) While it's different from shade to shade of metal, I hope I don't find a cure for it. It's an amazing experience to find something like "Hope" by Apocalyptica and "Starfire" by Dragonforce which use cellos and pianos to accompany the richness of the vocals and killer drum beats. It's just indescribable. For me, it's like how people describe what hymns in church do for them. It's just that powerful.

4) I don't know how people don't, honestly. I love having a day where I can blast some good ol' Rammstein and Falconer and jam along with whatever playlist I have going. However, it can be hard to fully get in the spirit with being HOH, so it makes for a lot of hilarious misheard incidents.

5) I've yet to fully go there with black metal, but when I do I'll let you know. :slight_smile: