1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Men LGBT

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SohoDreamer, May 8, 2017.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Anyone else a fan of X-Men? I'm personally not a comic book reader but have watched and enjoyed most of the films. Even if I think individually each film has it's flaws, one major theme that is concurrent throughout the movies is the idea that the mutants are outcasts from society, seen as abnormal, with many groups of humans trying to find a way to either get rid of them altogether or alternatively find some kind of treatment that removes their abilities and appearances and turns them human or "normal". I see this as a great allegory to the struggles that LGBT people face in real life, and how a community develops through shared experience and hardship. It's why I think I have more of a soft spot in my heart for the X-Men movies than I do for other super hero films.

2. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really liked the First Class trilogy (especially the interplay between Charles and Eric), but I haven't read any of the comics and the only other X Men movie I've seen is the first one (I thought it was OK, but not as good as the First Class trilogy).

3. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They've had lgbt+ characters in the comics. You'd think by now some would show up in the films.

4. novena

I'm fairly sure Ice Man is gay in the comics if that hasn't been retconned yet so I really hope they choose to use that story line at some point although if any character is queer I doubt they'll make it one of the main characters unfortunately.

I am pretty shocked they haven't had any gay characters in the main franchise yer since it's been going for 17 years although Deadpool is pansexual.

5. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Colossus was gay in one of the titles and I think mystique may have been involved with another woman in another title I read.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can definitely see the resemblance between X-men (technically mutants) and LGBT people in terms of similar struggles, et cetera. While it may not have been a deliberate allegory, fiction is very much interpretable by the individual and so could inspire and give hope to LGBT or other ostracized people groups.

#6 Kodo, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  7. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I love the X-men series!

8. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stan Lee says he created the X men to be an "anti-bigotry story" and Bryan Singer is gay himself, so he played up the LGBT subtext in the movies.