1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitar players wanted

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by J Schuelke, Apr 26, 2009.

1. J Schuelke

Hello all, I have a question for the guys and gals who play guitar. I've been playing for almost 6 yrs now, and just recently one of my friends wants him to teach him. Now my question is, for those of you who took lessons, how did you begin to learn? Did you cover the notes and music theory? or did you just learn chords and jump right in with some songs?

I learned by just knowing basic chords and then learning a few songs here and there, and i personally do not like going over music theory. But I just want peoples opinion what is a better way of starting.

After typing the title, I just realized like I am wanting to form a band or something, LOL! Which I am not trying to do (though it might give me something to do).

Any feedback at all would be appreciated, but do not feel obligated.

Thanks! ~Mav~

2. Miles D

Hmm... well I played piano first then cello, and had upwards of six years of theory and eight years of music experience before picking up guitar.

Try to teach your friend the basics of music theory, i.e. what chords are, intervals, basic rhythms, etc. Then move to how to physically play the guitar, i.e. hand positions, how to place fingers, strumming techniques.

Then move to actual chords. I find tablature ("tab") really helpful for learning chords. Make sure your friend knows what chords he's learning, and don't teach him just bar chords! Finger-picking is also fun, teach him that :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask me more questions, if you have any :grin:

3. Just Adam

well.... i teach myself and im naff with chords and doesent suit my style anyway

best way to start isnt actually playing its learning best way to hold guitar and to know different styles theory then practical

as for playing start off with picking techniques then move on to basic chords then more advanced chord forms then move on to different expression like bending, barre, tremelo vibrato etc

best way to incorporate learning these techniques is to learn songs that have them ask your friend what music hes into then find the tabs for the bands song on the internet and learn them, then take the techniques youve developed from learnign and create your own music

important to learn aswell is how a guitar works amps effects as these are so important and also the different type of picks that can come under the technique bit as different playing styles need different picks and what not also different strings uses, maintainance for strings pickups and guitar cleaning fingerboard the frets :slight_smile:

hope ive been a little help

4. wherewulfe

i learned it one string it at a time starting with high e, then from there moved onto the next one while my teacher gave simple songs to play using the two simple strings....from there it went to the next string and so on....when i could play basic chords (G, Am, C, E, Em, and D) i learned power chords and some more songs from there. finally i started to learn how to do things more effectively like alternate picking, sweeping, scaling, taping, and the like)

and that's about as far as i got....just kind of have to push through when you hit the wall

5. Shevanel

I wish I had much of a way to answer your question but I don't really. When I was younger I had piano lessons and learned theory (which I sorta forgot by now) and then I just picked up guitar and started learning songs starting with Stairway to Heaven really. I just taught myself with guitar as I went along, I guess I don't really know how to explain it at all, nor does this really help much. but I guess teaching through songs Isn't a bad idea right? because certain songs incorporate certain guitar techniques and such that you need to move on, like Stairway to Heaven incorporates a lot of things and I just practiced it until I got it all right.

6. J Schuelke

Hey thanks guys for the advice, they all were helpful in some way shape or form. Now I just have to help him get an instrument thats right for him. See he is a lefty so he would prefer it to play what's natural for him, so thats means going with lefty guitars and such. we'll see how it plays out.

7. djt820

Bass player here but I play a little guitar. First, you should teach him every part of the guitar. Make him know everything. Teach him how to tune and how to de-tune. Explain the different types of strings, different types of amps, and different types of guitars and effects. THEN try teaching him Smoke on the Water and see if he follows. Make sure you show him the major and minor scales and the blues chord progression. Expose him to new music as well. Make sure he ALWAYS plays with a metronome. Also, remind him how important everyone in a band is, especially the bass player :grin:
    Good luck!

8. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My teacher started me off with learning songs that I loved. I know it sounds odd but it really helps hold my interest and was a million times better then just learning ok this is a _ chord. Learning the chords is important tho so teach those. Also show him how to read tab asap so he can learn songs on his own. music theory isn't that important but teach him about drop d and what notes sound good together so he can write some things of his own.

9. waitingsucks

I started with basic chords, power chords and a melodic piece (I think it was yesterday by the beatles, but it was a very simple version) I'd say wait awhile for theory but theory is very important