1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More LGBT representation on tv??

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HerRainbow, May 9, 2017.

1. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it just me or has there been more LGBT representation on tv lately? For example first dates, catfish, suspect, mind the age gap and queer Britain have all had mainly gay and lesbian people in them.

2. novena

Yeah, I noticed that too. Even Doctor Who's new companion is a lesbian I think.

3. Lackey

Rosewood has a lesbian couple.

4. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's interesting, I wonder why so many shows feature LGBT members. They seem to be portraying more real life situations too. The show one night with my ex also features lesbian and gay couples pretty much ever week.

#4 HerRainbow, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Possibly because we've gotten more open about it now :slight_smile:

6. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah that's true. I've noticed that some of the shows have more of a debate nature to them. And I think debate is good to dispel the myths that people have. All the media representation is a good sign that society will move with the times some time soon :slight_smile:

7. poltergirl

if i am correct, there is alot of lgbt+ representation in steven universe

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps the 'funny' thing is that LGBTQ people are everywhere. We are a minority of the overall population, but we are humans, after all.

Oddly enough, one of the stereotypes of LGBTQ people is that we are most often artistic in some aspect. I would say that there are many, many closeted LGBTQ people in the entertainment industry. Regardless of whether they are closeted or open, they have influence in the longrun. And it seems like we are finally starting to be represented much more openly and honestly than ever before.

9. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

It's funny because I got so used to being underrepresented in media that I didn't even notice the sudden shift in LGBTQ+ representation. But now that you guys mention it, I have noticed more real-life & accurate representations of LGBTQ+ individuals. It's pretty cool because in some shows that I've seen, it's really low key...like it's become normalized to the point that it doesn't need to be political or a big deal anymore...it's like we can just exist without being questioned. It's kind of peaceful haha. I still see a lot of homophobia/transphobia (and general bigotry) in society though, but it could be just due to where I live (small town, conservative). It's changing though :slight_smile:

10. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Some of the older shows I've watched had one or two episodes dedicated to discuss the politics and ethics of LGBT people.

I don't really pay attention to LGBT as much because it's a part of my life, so I don't notice the increased representation. Thinking about it though there is a lot of it now, which makes me think that we're a bit overrepresented. Representation on television should be proportional to reality (but that's just my opinion).

11. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

That's true! I don't generally pay attention to it or look for it either...that might be another reason why I didn't notice, I think. I don't usually make a big deal of it, like you mentioned because it's a part of my everyday life. But I think there are times when I'm more inclined to notice. And I agree...overrepresentation of any group is a bit much, but I suppose it depends upon the intended audience & the purpose/ideals of the piece of media. :eusa_thin

12. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    LGBT representation has been around for quite a while. Degrassi had several LGBT characters back around 2011. There was the show "Will and Grace", which came out in the late 90s.

13. poltergirl

Agreeing with the LGBT representation being around for a while, I just saw a lesbian couple on Law & Order: SVU