1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humanz by Gorillas. What do you think about it?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZePie94, May 14, 2017.

1. ZePie94

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello everyone! My first post after a long time :eusa_danc
    A few weeks ago, a new album from Gorillaz (FINALLY) came out. Have you listened it? Let me know what do you think about it, I'm really curious :grin:

To me, it was really good. I know their style really changed with the time but to me that's a good thing. I would love to listen something like the good ol' Demon Days pieces but a new experience can be a great thing (like We Got the Power). Plus, I discovered some really good artist I've never heard about. They know how to choose artists to play with.

The only bad thing? Those ba****ds won't do a concert in my country -.-
    Let me know what do you think :wink:

2. L0ser

Honestly, I was pretty indifferent towards it. I loved Plastic Beach, so I was fine with them going in a more poppy direction because they already proved they could make good music doing that. But the concept of this album was messy, and there aren't really any songs I love. Most of the songs are good, only a few are bad, but nothing really stood out to me after a few listens. It was all just fine.

I don't know, I guess I was disappointed but it wasn't bad and I'm glad a lot of the fans like it. It's been quite a long wait for new music.

3. ZePie94

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, It did seems like they threw a bunch of songs in a cd without a particular logic, opposite to when the album's revolves around a certain theme like in Plastic Beach. I loved when in older albums the songs followed a certain flow, like when one ends and the next start immediately, so that it seems like it's the same song. It's a pity they didn't do that there :frowning2:

4. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad somebody finally brought this up. I was disappointed in the lack of cohesive "concept" the album had. I read that it was supposed to be "dancing at the end of the world" or something like that, but, especially after Plastic Beach, I was expecting a more ambitious plot/concept from them than just "the world's gone to crap!". After such a full-bodied album like Plastic Beach, this one left a lot to be desired in the way of plot (the only music video is Spirit House, I believe?) Hopefully the show will fill in those gaps.

Submission was a really good song, though.

5. L0ser

Yeah, I was really excited for the Danny Brown feature. Also, I know most of the fans say Demon Days is their best album, but I prefer Plastic Beach and I was really hoping the album would pull through with a concept like "dancing at the end of the world."

Maybe it will grow on me. But for now it seems more like a playlist than an album, unfortunately.

6. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I was incredibly excited when Humanz was finally released, and I had been teasing myself too much with listening to some of the songs Gorillaz had initially released before the album's release. So needless to say, I couldn't wait to listen to the album in full. So far, I like what I'm hearing, and I appreciate that Gorillaz is one of those bands that produces a new sound with each album. However, I feel like I need to go back and really listen to the album a few more times and get to know it before I become more emotionally attached to the songs on the album. Lately, I seem too busy to sit down and listen to Humanz in full, so I keep going back to Gorillaz's older music. So far though, as a long time Gorillaz fan, I've enjoyed every album they've created, including Humanz, and I like to see how the band's style progresses over time...I really like that each Gorillaz album has its own feel. I just need to get the feel of Humanz a little better before I make a deeper judgement call on it. So far, so good for me though! :thumbsup:

Also, to add on to what some are saying about Humanz not feeling cohesive, or lacking in a theme: I've read/heard that the theme is sort of a look at what the world might be like if Trump had been elected president of the US (which he is now). So I feel that the album might partially be a response to the electing of Trump. I've also heard speculation that the album is supposed to be a representation of the end of society, or the decline of society. I personally feel that race & socioeconomics are two issues that occur in Humanz (& it's almost as if they're using Detroit, Michigan as a backdrop as in with the whole Spirit House thing), but that's just my perception.

#6 Shoei Loei, May 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017