1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWR PTTM sexual assault allegations??

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RobKing, May 16, 2017.

1. RobKing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So there have been some people coming forward saying they were sexually assaulted by Ben Hopkins. There are some articles on BuzzFeed, spin.com and washington post, which i'm not going to link 'cause i'm on my phone.

I haven't really listened to their music that much but PWR PTTM is a well-known queer band so i was disheartened by this news.

The allegations are just a week old but the record label has discontinued sales and PWR PTTMS music has been removed from online streaming services.

So i was just wondering what you people think about it? In my opinion the difference between measures taken by the label are very quick and serious compared to straight male artists.

2. 6qurious9

Haven't really formed an opinion about it yet. Waiting to see what facts come to light though.

3. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know how I feel. I like them, and know two people close to me falsely accused of that. I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

4. gravegirl

This is from a while ago but I really freaked out about those allegations when I heard them. I was a huge pwr bttm fan, they honestly helped me start to accept myself and were just a super fun band overall. I had concert tickets, I had seen every interview with them, listened to every song on repeat.

When the allegations first came out my stomach sunk. I'm a victim of sexual assault and just the thought of a person I looked up to so much and had put so much energy into doing something like that devastated me for a while. Looking back... the allegations are really vague and I don't know how to feel. My immediate reaction is always to believe the victim, but there are also a lot of factors that seem sketchy and if the allegations turn out to be false I'll be devastaed all over again.

It also seems really 'hmmmm' to me that many other public figures have been accused of such things and retained all their fame, but as soon as an openly and proudly queer band is accused, they literally get their tour cancelled and their label drops them. All over an allegation.

I think in general, musicians should suffer this fallout from substantiated claims of sexual assault, but the unclear details make this weird. Either way, I just hope the truth eventually comes out or becomes more clear.