1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last book you read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, May 1, 2009.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because they are just as good as, or better than, movies.

I just finished "Existentialism is a Humanism" by Jean-Paul Sartre today, and I'm still reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm also working on Kate Chopin's The Awakening for school, and I have a few summer reading books sitting next to me.

2. Shevanel

This is actually a really good idea for a thread. I'm currently in the middle of 2 books, No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. I want to say the last book I read before that was rereading the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. And that's just so amazing. so so so amazing.

3. Miles D

I just finished reading Frederick Douglass' autobiography for seminar class. it was quite good. :slight_smile:

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Rebirth of Rhin by Julian Traas.

5. GhostDog

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman! Loved it. :grin:

Alright, alright, I may not read very scholarly things, but at least I'm reading... something.

6. olides84

I just finished Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, which I really enjoyed. I liked even more the other one of Murakami's I've read - The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

7. Dazed

Dazed Guest

the last book i read was bloodsucking fiends by christopher moore.

BUT i read tons of fanfiction which i count among books.
    right now im in the middle of a series wooot harry potter fanfiction ^_^

8. Greggers

Hah, um, yea...

The entire Hitchhikers Guide is what i just read too :slight_smile:

AND yes, it truly is amazing. so so so amazing.

9. Mason

The last book I read was The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I was kinda forced into reading it. It was a good book though.

10. Lucky Panda

The last book i read was "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. It was a good book, too! Unlike most horror books that only give you a small sense of fear, I forced myself not to read it at night. My librarian likes it when i read books that have to do with homosexuality and have conversations about them with me. One of the most exotic books we've talked about was "Freak Show"... I can't remember the author, but it really was a fun piece of literature to grab ahold. Still, "Hero: A Novel" by Perry Moore is an epic gay-teen book and remains at the top of my "Favorite Books" list ^^

#10 Lucky Panda, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  11. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "New Moon" by Stephenie Meyer. I'm almost finished with it and will be starting "Eclipse".

12. Axon

The last book I read was Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (AP English Lit... :dry:slight_smile:. Honestly, I did not enjoy it that much because I was "forced" to read it, and it is too symbolic for my taste. Still, the book I read before, The Awakening by Kate Chopin, was great. :thumbsup: I love how she highlights the innate fortitude of the individual.

13. Emberstone

Read the first too jack west jr. books by matthew reilly, and currently rereading the percy jackson series by rick riordan in prep for the 5th and final book on tuesday.

I am on a childrens and young adult kick right now. also got the sorceress by micheal scott on the 26th.

I find I prefer reading books for younger readers. adult literature tends to be so genre specific that it becomes formulaic, and I get bored faster.

14. josh33

josh33 Guest

On the Road by Jack Kerouac
    Now I'm reading Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis

15. josh33

josh33 Guest

I nearly bought a Murakami book yesterday... I think it was called Norwegian Wood or something like that? But I definitely want to check out some of his writing, I've heard good things.

16. Bernard1992

The last book that I have read is Frankenstein and that was only because it was for English class. Now I have to read The Glass Menagerie. Oh, and if you count the book/novel we are doing as a class in French, Choc Des Cultures, I think that is what it is called/way it is spelled. Lol.

17. Kirakishou

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen for school, it was good, but I think it's overrated.

18. *cough*betterthan*cough* (Seriously, have you ever seen a movie version of a book that was as good as the book?)

Hmm... I just finished The Great Gatsby for American Lit, and Dante's Inferno. Now I'm reading Go Tell it on the Mountain in American Lit and Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds, which I really like despite the fact that sci-fi isn't typically my favorite genre.

19. josh33

josh33 Guest

I really can't stand Jane Austen. I don't know why...

20. josh33

josh33 Guest

I really need to read Gatsby again I think. The first time I read it I wasn't that impressed but I kept getting told that it's the 'great American novel" and stuff, so I probably should give it another go