1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new Star Trek film

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by joeyconnick, May 6, 2009.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just saw it. Free sneak preview. Feel free to feel jealous. :lol:

Anyway, it is definitely not your parents' Star Trek--if only because your parents would never put that much male eye candy in one movie. :icon_bigg

Other than that, pretty cool movie. Some ridiculous movie/tv "coincidences" and a bit of an overdone Russian accent, but I'm pretty sure I'd forgive Anton Yelchin pretty much anything. :love:

2. Greggers

Im going to an advanced screening tomorrow :slight_smile: VERY excited

I hate star trek, but i love sexy men, so it all balances out.

3. Shevanel

Hate is a strong word Greg :frowning2:

I do think the movie looks quite good, JJ Abrams made it, that gives me enough incentive to see it.

4. Jerr

Never been a treky but worker previews are free and nice....

5. Greggers

Joey, have i ever been wishy-washy about ANYTHING? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Its HATE or LOVE. No inbetween with me.

6. Just Adam

i cant wait to see it :slight_smile: simon pegg a real funny guy, and sylar :grin: dont get much better i am soooooo jealous right now

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zachary Quinto was so much better as Spock than he is as Sylar. Of course, that might be because I think Sylar is the stupidest, most useless character ever.

But I digress...

Anyway, yeah, Simon Pegg was quite funny--everyone was pretty much right on target.

8. Just Adam

i do love sylar he just needs to go darker again better writers needed allthough the end of chapter 4 was great the single line how claire will hate him lol...now i digress damit... but yea as soon as he was cast as spock i said he will nail it its the eyebrows it always is they look either evil or alien haha. i cant wait to see him in action what was the new kirk like can he live up to william shatner?

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the new Kirk is definitely hotter than Shatner (although young Shatner was pretty cute) and overall I thought he was pretty good, except in the Kobayashi Maru scene which did not ring true to me. He and Quinto definitely have the Kirk/Spock chemistry going on.

10. Just Adam

thats good to know :slight_smile: i think ill enjoy this :grin:

11. Greggers

Omg! Someone else actually thinks Sylar is a STUPID character? :O

I have said that since the end of season one when they took his story line on some magical fairyland ride that made no sense and ruined much of the show for me. But all my friends defend him, mainly cause they think hes sexy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Frankly, i think hes only sexy in non-sylar roles.

(off-topic, but im very excited someone else thinks hes stupid)

12. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I didnt realise he's playing spock....not being a trekie I will no doubt be dragged by my friend who is obsessed with Silar to see that film! Although I have heard all the reviews are good. On the silar topic I have to agree with you guys....his character made no sense. All my friends swoon over him and I just regurgitate my dinner watching them drooling. Man Pavlov didnt need dogs...just put Silar on TV in front of a bunch of girls (and evidently gay guys) and drooling would certainly be a conditioned response! Every program needs a baddy, but slicing peoples heads open....:eusa_naug.

13. kettleoffish

I'm going to see it tomorrow on a bit of a double date type scenario :grin::grin::grin:

edit: apparently my boyfriend can't make it :frowning2: ohwell...

#13 kettleoffish, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fine with the brain slicing thing... what I have a problem with is Sylar as the unbeatable, unkillable opponent. They obviously realised that being way too powerful was a problem for Peter and Hiro, so they depowered them, but no, Sylar loses his powers very temporarily and now has even more and even more powerful ones. Plus the writing since Season 1 has been so incredibly inconsistent that you can figure out if he's supposed to be ultimate evil or on some sort of path to redemption. Although clearly redemption is off the table now, the foray into it just totally wrecked the character beyond repair.

Plus what they did at the end of this current season (which I won't mention in case not everyone has watched it yet)?! I understand the people who runs Heroes like Zachary Quinto as a person and an actor but if that's what you have to do to keep Sylar on the show, well, I'm pretty sure I won't be watching the show anymore. And I am EXACTLY the kind of person for whom being a Heroes fan should be a no-brainer.

15. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm definitely going to watch it! Though I'm afraid I can't make it to the movie theater in the next two weeks. It shall be somewhat of a quest to remain unspoiled...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that disliked where they took Sylar. I really liked the redemption angle in Season 3, but I'm utterly appaled at how they decided, basically in the span of one episode, that they'd rather have evil Sylar back and ruined the character.

But right now I'm resigned to just watch the imaginary Heroes in my head :icon_sad:

16. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Going to see it Friday night on IMAX. Should be good.

(I didn't read this entire thread because I don't want to risk any spoilers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to see it in IMAX--that would probably be pretty sweet.

18. Greggers

I saw it yesterday (yay me!) and ive got to say, as someone who has watched no star trek and thought it was not only cheesy but down right horrible...

...i really liked the movie. JJ Abrams made a classic here. The story moved well, had great momentum and plot, and was VERY solid and tight. It was just...well done! Every character was good in my mind (i dont know what they were like in the show, but im told they did it very well for star trek fans) and i did not find myself thinking "thats sylar" or "thats the guy from harold and kumar" and thats always a good thing. The action looked good, the drama was dramatic, it was just...perfect i thought. I dont know what could have made that better :slight_smile:

(Other than more sexy shirtless scenes)

19. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was amazing! Except for the fact that we were in the second row of seats. But yeah, I loved it... except for the product placement.

I have a feeling I'm going to see it several times with different friends.

20. Jerr

Made me laugh so hard. I enjoyed the movie. Saw it on a whim last night. They didn't do the preview for the workers so I didn't see it then but last night went to say high to a friend and he was in there so I went in and sat and watched it.

LOVED the russian kid.