1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Coming Out Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Legnaj, May 8, 2009.

1. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

No no no not GLBT movies like Latter days, Beautiful thing or Shelter. I'm talking about movies that you watch and pause when you realizes "wow thats kinda what I'm going through" as if the movie was speaking to you. Good examples are X-men and Happy feet. Character defies the norm, is shunned but then saves the day. I was watching X-men(I)
    and it took me back. So like what other movies are like that? Those are really the only two I know of.

Coming of age tale

#1 Legnaj, May 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  2. Greggers

Mean Girls.

Before you laugh, Lindsey Lohans character was alot like me, minus just about everything that she did and that happend to her.

I only say this because i spent my entire highschool years being someone i was not. I looked around me, studied the people who everyone "liked", and then became that. Before i knew it i had lost control of myself and got swept up in it all. I almost lost the true me in all the lies i had put forward. It took me till after highschool to undo it all, but somehow i think i actully have...

3. riddlerno1

Yep all the xmen films.....especially the bit in Xmen 2 when bobby goes home and 'comes out'.

4. kramer362

I was just discussing the x-men parables with a friend. Kevin Smith agrees...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DycgoUldaCg[/YOUTUBE]

5. SlickyPants

I haven't watched it in a long time but Billy Eliot is about a boy who get's shunned by his parents when they find out he wants to do ballet.

6. Miles D

Mulan.
    I mean, this girl is completely lost in the world. She knows what others expect of her, who she is supposed to be, but she knows she isn't the person that others want her to be. She doesn't know the person she sees in the mirror. "When will my reflection show who I am inside?"
    And then she becomes a man and is truly happy, because she can be the person and act as she feels.
    damn, she is SOO a trannie. except not. damn.
    :slight_smile:

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I guess mine would be Mulan as well.

8. GhostDog

Hmm.

Kiki's Delivery Service, for me.

Girl strikes out all on her own, trying to figure out where she fits in the world! She has no idea at first, then thinks she has it figured out... And falls flat on her face. And things suck for her for a while. But she realizes it's what she wants to do, and she's gotta keep going, because it's who she is. And she makes it work! And saves her friend from falling to his death but that's neither here nor there.

But seriously, the character herself feels so out of place, so lost, so confused and directionless, until she realizes that she doesn't have to fit in, because the people that matter love her as is. =D

Whenever I'm feeling really terrible about life, I watch that movie. Makes me feel better, without fail.

9. Daniel

Dorian's Blues.

Actual coming out movie.

10. biggayguy

The Waterdance (1992) - trailer - YouTube I could really relate to this movie. It highlights some of the funny things that can happen in rehab. BTW, Helen Hunt has a nude scene fwiw. It features three stars that went on to make some really great hits.

#10 biggayguy, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    None. Most of the ones that seemed interesting to me such as "Making Love," "Far From Heaven," and non movie theater "Mulligans" don't represent my life situation, since all of them involve married men. In fact, most of the films dealing with 30+ people seem to have marital status as a key feature. Would "Brokeback Mountain" have been much of a story if it hadn't been for the repressive era, the fact that both married, the fact that both conducted different sex lives while married, and that it involved some type of deception?

12. Thaliondae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh god, how have I only just realised that about Mulan. I've always loved that film and that might be why and realising it has only made my love of it stronger. I need to listen to Reflection now.