1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leona Lewis does an amazing American accent...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BeautifulStranger, May 13, 2009.

1. BeautifulStranger

But Tyra's British accent fails...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2uPSiUQn54[/YOUTUBE]

2. Just Adam

oh leona lewis....epic fail :S
    please get someone decent on i demand more lady gaga :slight_smile:

3. BeautifulStranger

I hope you're not talking about Leona's talent.
    Because her voice rivals that of Whitney Houston's and Mariah Carey's.

4. Just Adam

no not her voice even though i dont care about that either she just makes me think of the corporate sell out of the music industry and the pathetic nature of people getting carrers now adays.... xfactor umm yaaaaay :S you go on a tv program and become a sensation pfft why cant people do it the old fashioned way get in a shed with microphone make a mixtape and send them too the record labels and go for interviews etc proper old school...sorry to rant.

allthough i possibly dont like for keep bleeding aswell as always when these dam people win a tv show :S the first song is played non stop day after day after day it does drive you to the edge...

5. BeautifulStranger

She actually had a record deal before The X-Factor, so technically she did it the hard way.

Here's a demo recording of her singing Minnie Riperton's 'Loving You'
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZSv2_0lkO8[/YOUTUBE]

What you don't know about most shows like that are that most of the people have tried to make it famous the hard way first (and it's not like American Idol is any easier).
    I'm actually considering auditioning for American Idol when I get back home because it would be easier than finding someone to write me a song and record a demo with.
    If that makes me a sellout... too bad.

6. Just Adam

im not going to argue over leona lewis thats sad :S

i just dont care enough, she does her thing if people like her thats fine i dont care i just like to do things a different way, this is all way too ott. and i do know people try to make it other ways and it dont always work but you can try again. and why dont you write your own song? its not too hard. it becomes easyer if its about something you care about maybe about someone. i just dont liek the fact you would say if it makes me a sell out fine.... i really must be stuck in a different era because to me with music selling out is terrible becoming a corporate tool of a label, you need to stay true to yourself.

7. BeautifulStranger

I'm not arguing, I'm just pointing out that she did it the hard way. It actually wasn't even her idea to try out for the show, her boyfriend convinced her to.

As for me, no... I can't write.
    I've tried and epically failed. I'm too happy to write a sad song and not creative enough to write a happy song.
    I'll let someone else do it for me.

8. Just Adam

she tried the hardway but then did what her boyfriend wanted not her, could you honestly do that kind of show takeing into account the nerves the late nights and you dont even want too your partner wanted you too :frowning2:

it makes me feel sorry for her as a person but i do still stand where i am on her as an artist but that dont count for anything

9. BeautifulStranger

Oh no, something happened with the record label.
    I don't know the details, but her CD was never released for some reason or another.

10. Just Adam

the music industry i like the hard way to get in for the reason when you do youve earnt your stripes, but it is ruthlessly cut throat and you are treated like crap.

i wish she hadent sold out but i dont like anyone getting screwed over in life.

11. saudade

saudade Guest

But surely we should focus more on the artist's music and talent, rather than whether or not they've had a rough ride in the music industry? There could be many people in the industry that have survived being dropped by record labels etc. on their road to success but still produce mediocre music - does that mean that they should get more album sales than someone who is more talented and achieved success unconventionally? Sure, I will feel sympathy for someone who has climbed their way to the top, but the bottom line is that they are an artist so we should really comment on their art.

Immediately striking off singers as a "sellout" because they didn't suffer while favouring artists who "do it the old-fashioned way" seems really quite elitist. If I go to an art gallery to see an exhibition, I will go to see the paintings instead of learning how the gallery acquired them.

Apologies if I have rambled! I have a tendency to do so when talking about music.

12. BeautifulStranger

No, I agree entirely

I don't care how she got famous. I'm just loving the fact that she is now.

13. TheRoof

for some reason, british people can do american accent really easily (the other day, i watched this clip where daniel redcliffe did the american accent, and it was flawless)...it's kinda wierd.

14. saudade

saudade Guest

It's because we watch so much American TV :lol: