1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnny Weir...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BeautifulStranger, May 14, 2009.

1. BeautifulStranger

... is the reason everyone thinks that male figure skaters are a bunch of limp wristed faggots

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur35u9uLcYI[/YOUTUBE]

There are plenty of normal guys who do it.
    But Weir ruins the image...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9-V-4kKP8[/YOUTUBE]
    Ryan Bradley (who is beautiful)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiFv-ZGS0A[/YOUTUBE]
    Evan Lysacek (also beautiful)

2. sdc91

I've liked Lysacek since I saw him compete in Torino. He looks a bit different now, whoa.

3. olides84

C'mon Tyler. 'limp-wristed faggots' ; 'normal guys'. I wouldn't expect that from you :frowning2:

What's wrong with some over-the-top flamboyance in a routine from a Lady Gaga song for god's sake.

4. Greggers

There is nothing wrong with Johnny Weir, and i agree that its HIGHLY offensive to say "but there are a bunch of normal people" because that implies that Johnny Weir is in some way "wrong" or "bad".

I actually really liked that video. I saw it a few days ago from a link on twitter, and as someone who does not watch alot of figure skating it entertained me. It was very fun to watch :slight_smile:

I dont think there is a "right" or "wrong" way to preform as a male figure skater, as long as its good technique. If he can land the jumps, i dont care how "limp wristy" he is while he does it.

5. BeautifulStranger

As a figure skater, it get's really annoying to hear the calls of 'fag' when I take the ice... even during practice.
    The hockey players actually come watch the figure skaters practice so they can try and harass me.

Since he's America's best (something that upsets me to know end... If Ryan Bradley could focus, he easily would be) he represents us in everything.
    Which means everyone uses him as an example.

And it's not just a Lady GaGa routine.
    His costumes are always overy feminine. His music is always overly feminine. His arm movements are always overly feminine.
    They're never ever strong like a male's routine should be.
    I'd like to point out that Ryan Bradley and Evan Lysacek have just as much grace as Johnny but they look like men while they do it.

The best part about being a male figure skater is that I/we can skate to/do things that the females can't simply because they're not powerful enough.
    Being able to do 2 laps of power-pulls around the rink is something I'm proud of.

I'm sorry... Johnny Weir does not represent that at all.

BTW, Greg, landing a jump 'limp wristedly' will cost you points. You need to have a solid landing.

Also, I'm not alone in my thinking...
    The majority of male AND female figure skaters agree.

#5 BeautifulStranger, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  6. Greggers

Didnt exactly expect to hear you say those words Tyler :frowning2:

"They're never ever strong like a male's routine should be."

Wow. Um. Yea.

I dont even know how to respond to that. Saying that because he was born with a penis he has to act strong and masculine and is not to "dance, wear or play music" that is "not manly" is a load of bull shit.

Maybe you resent him cause people assume all male figure skaters are just like him since hes in the spotlight, but you should know thats just a stereotype and just because a group of people has a stereotype does not mean everyone must follow it. Be a manly male skater, be a femmy male skater, just dont try and label one as right and one as wrong. If you dance with strength and blah blah blah, then do that. These hockey players will maybe see that and learn to respect what you do, or maybe not, but knocking one guy down for being true to himself just because you get stereotyped for it is foolish.

Im not going to begin to claim i know anything about figure skating, but i do know a thing or two about gender identity. I know what it feels like to be mocked because i dont fit the perfect description of the male persona. If he wants to do his routine like a girl would, i have a deep respect for the guy. It takes more balls to go out and skate against "the norm" than to blend in im sure. He must get so much hate because of what he does.

Oh, and i really dont give a rats ass what the majority of people think. The majority is not always right. Thats just a foolish way to think. If you dont question the majority, then the minority is always going to get the short end of the stick. Now i dont know about you, but i would never want to live in a country that lets a majority snuff out a minority based on what the majority perceives is right and wrong.

Sorry if i sound harsh or angry, im really not, im just very strong in my opinions on these kind of topics thats all.

7. BeautifulStranger

First and foremost, I really don't care what you expected to hear me say or not.

Because of people like him, no one takes male figure skating seriously... at all.
    The one sport that I spend 10 hours a week (may not seem like a lot, but 5 minutes of perpetual skating with jumps, spins, footwork [etc.] gives you more of a work out than you know. And you can fit 12 5 minute routines into one hour... so do the math) doing is the one sport that no one actually considers a sport because our most famous representation claims to be Paris Hilton when he goes shopping.

#7 BeautifulStranger, May 15, 2009
  8. Kryz

The thing here I believe, is that this is a SPORT, a RULED SPORT.

This is like gymnastics, the male routines should be MANLY routines, it doesn't matter if your gay or straight or W/E, you HAVE to make the routine look GOOD for the judges and ppl who know about it,and they are looking for something pre-determined. Such as strong and precise moves and stuff.

So here it really doesn't matter if you wanna be a girl when you grow up or something like that, if you are a male and are figure skating, you are SUPPOSED to do it right and the way it is.

Example: This is like when I get mad at ~bad~ musicians, coz they just shit all over good music, and sometimes they are the most representative stuff out there, and I feel that situation is TOTALLY wrong.

-------------------------

I WISH i could do this shit UGH. It's just so expensive here.

#8 Kryz, May 15, 2009