1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Operating System do you use?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Swamp56, May 16, 2009.

?

Which operating system do you use?

1. Windows NT (95,98,2000)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Windows XP

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. Windows Vista

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Mac

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. GNOME-style Linux (default Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mandriva, etc)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. KDE-style Linux (Kubuntu, Fedora KDE, Sinux KDE, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Just wondering what operating system you all use :wink: . Me, personally: I use Windows Vista on my laptop and Ubuntu Linux/Vista in dual-boot configuration on my desktop pc.

I really want to get a macbook for college because of it's simplicity; I do most of my programming on my desktop, so I don't need the advanced features that Linux offers on my laptop, and I want something more organized than Windows (windows library is very unorganized and I hate the directory structure of windows).

Heh, to get into details, Mac and Linux derive from Unix, which uses it's own organized structure (as seen by the usr-var-lib-etc structure).

If you have more than one operating system, select the one you use most often and post the others :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

#1 Swamp56, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
  2. Nodnarb

I have Vista on my new laptop and on one of my desktops. We also have a desktop with XP and one Mac.

3. Derek the Wolf

I have a Macbook Pro. Very solid, I love it. OS works great and you can always use boot camp to put on XP (or vista... if you really want to)

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ya, anything that is built on the UNIX architecture is very strong and very safe. It's also extremely organized (which is what I like :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

5. starfish

Uhh Windows 95 and 98 are not the same was Windows NT. Completely different beast.

Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7 are the continuation of the Windows NT line.

This image from Wikipedia show the Windows lineage.

[​IMG]

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This thread has never been done before...

Vista

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ya, I screwed up the poll and instead of "Windows 9x + 2000", I put Windows NT.

8. Apocalypte

Mac OS X 10.5.7... when I stop procrastinating about running Software Update.

9. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    On the computer I´m currently using I use Windows XP. But we also have Ubuntu Linux on it. I´m going to buy a laptop soon and then I will probably use Windows Vista since almost all laptops here are delivered with that.

10. kettleoffish

I ran it yesterday.. I haven't noticed a difference yet. Probably crash less though I suppose. I've had a few issues with my volume control, among other things.

11. STK

STK Guest

I use Vista. It's not as bad as people say it is.

12. Apple Pie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I run Ubuntu, though I removed GNOME and use Fluxbox instead.

13. starfish

Seems like it comes up every week.

On my workstations I use Mac OS X, Windows , and Linux on a regular basis. Not what window manager I have on the linux systems. I think it is GNOME, most of my Linux work is done from an SSH shell anyway.

In my professional work, I deal with Windows, Linux, AIX, OS/400, and MVS on a daily basis. Some Solaris from time to time. My favorite by large is OS/400.

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

While it's not bad, in my opinion it isn't extremely stable and it's not as safe as Linux or Mac OS (insert version here) .

Interesting; how is it? I didn't include other DE's for linux since GNOME and KDE are basically like 75% of the Linux market.

#14 Swamp56, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  15. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I can't edit the above post, but I made a mistake; I meant to say "DE's or Window Managers"

16. EM68

I have XP on my home laptop and Vista for my work laptop. I don't like Vista. A couple of times after installing automatic updates for Vista my laptop would not boot up. I had to get my boot disk out. Very annoying.

17. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, this thread has never been done before...

Mainly run XP. Works great on everything I have from 10 year old PII junk to my dual core laptop to my EeePC. My dual core laptop is the only PC I have that is Vista capable.

Vista has upsides and downsides. I downgraded my dual core laptop pre-SP1. I my put Vista back on when SP2 comes out, or wait for Win7 RTM.

I have Windows 98 on one of my REALLY old junk laptops. I tried Windows 2000 but my NIC doesn't work, and the performance is really poor (only 32MB RAM). However it's amazing how much fairly new software runs on Win98 (including the latest version of Opera). Not bad for an 11 year old OS. Too bad Microsoft operating systems are obsoletes quicker than everyone else.

I like OS X as it proves you can have an easy to use *NIX based OS. Apple provides a good experience (in part because they can control the hardware). However they don't offer anything to me worth the premium.

Linux... every time I use it I end up running into weird bizarre problems that piss me off and once I get it running half decently another new version comes out, rendering my current version obsolete (no new backports) and if I upgrade stuff breaks. Not to mention it performs worse on my PIII than WindowsXP.

18. Totoro

I really don't understand why people would get a Mac unless they are artists, as Macs are mainly good for that purpose. Windows XP does the job, everyone has it, so that means that most of everything works with it :] I don't really enjoy the Vista OS, my brother has it on his laptop- whenever i use it, I have trouble with just about everything to do with the new desktop.
    Haven't tried Linux, it's too complicated :3 I'm no good at computers hehe

19. Apple Pie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its very fast and lightweight but also very minimalistic. You have to be comfortable editing config files. And since its just a window manager it doesn't include the services a full DE would offer. There is however a lot of room for customization once you get used to it.

20. DexterMorgan

95 and 98 aren't NT based. 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 are NT.

But anyway, I use Vista, 7, and Leopard 10.5.7; all on different machines.

#20 DexterMorgan, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009