1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anime Convention question...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicIsLife, May 26, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

Yes, I am a gigantic nerd and I am planning to go to the local anime con in downtown montreal this year.

Now heres my question: Is it worth it to book a hotel?

I dont live in montreal, I live just outside of the city. practically in the boonies. Theres trains into the city a few times a day but thats it. I wanna be able to come and go as i please [and theres a dance and many late-night events I wish to attend] however i do not drive therefore my mom would have to do the driving, which is why i considered a hotel.

The closest one to where the convention is being held is 144/night, and I'll be staying 3 nights most likely.

Worth it y/n?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say it's worth finding a place to stay, but you might want to look around to see if there's a better option. If you can find one cheaper a couple blocks further away, that'd probably be worth it. Also, sometimes conventions book blocks of rooms, and get a discounted rate. Do double-check the convention website to see if that's happening.

Lex

3. MusicIsLife

They have a discounted rate, but i have yet to check how much.

4. MusicIsLife

Checked, its still says 144/night even with the discount so my guess is that the 144$ is already down from the original price. im not completely surprised, ive seen 2 star hotels in downtown montreal for 300$/night

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do check, but also know that they might assume you're "doubling up" with somebody. If you're interested, they may have a service where "solos" can pair up with another solo to split the cost of a room. Again, check the website.

Haven't been to an anime convention since...2002? But it was fun. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. crystaltriforce

i think the better question is can you afford it?

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's totally worth finding a place but $144/night is SUPER expensive. I can find discount hotels in San Francisco (not exactly a cheap city) for $70 US a night (and they're perfectly serviceable), and non-super-brand-name ones for $120 US a night, so $144/night sounds INCREDIBLY expensive to me. I mean for $120 US/night I can stay in the heart of the Castro in a bed & breakfast, so $144? Way too much!

There's a recession on: you should be able to find better deals on hotels!

Try www.travelocity.ca and www.expedia.ca

8. MusicIsLife

Joey, thank you so much.

I just checked expedia.ca and within 30 seconds i found an extremely cheap hotel, well...compared to the one i found. Thank you sooo much!

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are very welcome... you can also check out pretty decent, accurate ratings for hotels at www.tripadvisor.com

This is how I found places to stay in Europe: I looked for the cheapest places with the highest ratings on TripAdvisor.

I think that unless you are particularly attached to luxury, finding affordable, clean, and serviceable lodging in any city is not all that hard. Except maybe in Manhattan. :lol:

#9 joeyconnick, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good call, joey. Especially if your hotel room is going to be a "place you keep things" and sleeping. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. Kirakishou

You should definitely get a room if you're not going to be able to go home that often.
    If you're cosplaying, you'll want a place to to put your costume for when you're not wearing it. Also, you want to be able to shower, some of those costumes has very poor ventilation and will make you smell very, very funky.
    If you're going to any concerts or performances, they probably won't allow bags in so you'll want a place to put those.
    And of course, there will be TONS of things you'll want to buy and you definitely don't want to be carrying those around. :wink: