1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T run by homophobes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Zac4, May 26, 2009.

1. Zac4

saw this article linked from EW.com- they helped kris allen fans power vote so each text = 10 votes. wtf??

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/05/american-idol-v.html

AT&T May Have Swayed ‘Idol’ Results

Published: May 26, 2009
    LOS ANGELES — AT&T, one of the biggest corporate sponsors of “American Idol,” might have influenced the outcome of this year’s competition by providing phones for free text-messaging services and lessons in casting blocks of votes at parties organized by fans of Kris Allen, the Arkansas singer who was the winner of the show last week.

American IdolRepresentatives of AT&T, whose mobile phone network is the only one that can be used to cast “American Idol” votes via text message, provided the free text-messaging services at two parties in Arkansas after the final performance episode of “American Idol” last week, according to the company and people at the events.

There appear to have been no similar efforts to provide free texting services to supporters of Adam Lambert, who finished as the runner-up to Mr. Allen.
    Representatives of AT&T helped fans of Mr. Allen at the two Arkansas events by providing instructions on how to send 10 or more text messages at the press of a single button, known as power texts. Power texts have an exponentially greater effect on voting than do single text messages or calls to the show’s toll-free phone lines.

The efforts appear to run afoul of “American Idol” voting rules in two ways. The show broadcasts an on-screen statement at the end of each episode warning that blocks of votes cast using “technical enhancements” that unfairly influence the outcome of voting can be thrown out.

And the show regularly states that text voting is open only to AT&T subscribers and is subject to normal rates.

2. Paralyzer

I didn't follow the link, but how is AT&T run by homophobes?

3. Lucy

Adam is still going to do better than Kris, though....I think we all know it ^^

4. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Seriously, stop. He lost. It happends.

Did you ever consider votefortheworst.com? Do some reasearch. They've been throwing these contests since sunjiah and that dude with the grey hair. IT WAS NEVER FAIR TO BEGIN WITH.

Get over it, life goes on and so will their careers.

5. Just Adam

if this is true it just means they are bias and curropt and cheating and have no morality..... pretty much fits these shows fine to be honest :|.... just cos this is reported doesent mean it was homophobic and im sure adam would rather be runner up than too have an appeal and win by a ruleing on this as it would cause backlash... i dont know how good a singer he is but im sure he will do fine.

6. Paralyzer

Don't let this thread fool you, AT&T is still amazing.
    There are biases to be conscience of elsewhere.

(including in this very post)

7. SouthBeach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually work for AT&T and I am open to all my employees and managers, they don't care at all.

8. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because of the extremely binding contract they have to sign when they win, all the signings and shows and cds and stuff, I actually think Adam Lambert will be way better off than that Kris guy. How many idol stars or equivalents do we still listen to with such rapture as right after they win? not very many. Adam was really popular, I think this will be a great thing for him, even though he didn't win.

9. Amy

Amy

AT&T is homophobic?
    No fucking shit.
    It's run by Texas conservatives and has been since...forever. Or at least since Whitacre started working there. Which is damn close to forever.

10. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never realised Texas and telecommunications worked together in a sentence.
    But isn't your AT&T a really crappy provider or something?

[laughs at your networks] We has the worlds fastest down here. :3

11. Amy

Amy

I would like to state that Stephenson, the current CEO, has a horrid taste in ties.

Yea. They do.
    The main office for AT&T is in Texas.
    The other main offices are in Chicago, LA, St. Louis, ect.
    But One AT&T Plaza in Dallas is the headquarters. It has its own Wikipedia page.

Depends on who you ask. :slight_smile:
    I think that it's really good service, but the company itself...isn't.

12. Zac4

it doesnt matter who u wanted to win, its not biased to think the biggest sponsor shouldnt be rigging the result.
    they cheated.

y do i say their homophobes? i never heard they cheated before. so y now?

ya i agree adam will have a huge career n its probly better he isnt ruled by the AI suits. but its supposed to be a competition that the ppl vote on. n if att is rigging it, THATS what i got a problem with.

13. sdc91

1. Who cares! Winning doesn't launch your career platinum. It's talent, and I'm sure Adam will do just fine. He got the exposure he needed to get a good start.

2. Stop bashing Texas, it's kind of rude to the people who live here. Especially if you've never been here... I've lived in both the Houston and Dallas areas, which are actually nice, cosmopolitan, and extremely green (NOT a desert)...

/rant

14. DexterMorgan

Have to agree with him there. I lived in downtown San Antonio for about three years. Even though I didn't like Texas, it still didn't quite match any of the stereotypes (like red necks running around everywhere, excessive amount of homophobes, no gay people, etc). One thing that I hated about Texas is the TAKS; I hated how we had to stay all day in one class for those damn tests!

15. sdc91

lol, TAKS was fun... you get like the whole week off.

16. Zac4

whats a TAKS

17. GhostDog

TAKS = Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills. Basically, it's a standardized test that you have to take through most of your education, determining whether or not you graduate, and how much money your school gets. Some amount of class time has to be dedicated to "how to pass this stupid test", though how much of it is depends on the teacher. Suffice it to say I'm not a fan, and neither are many teachers or students, but we gotta do it anyway.

Also, Texas! It isn't too bad! I've been to Houston, San Antonio, I live between Dallas and Fort Worth, and I've spent my fair share of time in east Texas. Screeching homophobes with signs aren't lining the streets everywhere you go. They're here, mind, and I do see an irritating amount of "MAN + WOMAN = MARRIAGE" bumper stickers on the highway (and even in my college's parking lots), but most people leave you well enough alone. My mom's family is very right-wing, evangelical, proud Republican type people, and for the most part, their attitude is "If you're gay, fine. I don't care, just don't talk to me about it, don't hit on me, and don't try to convince me it's right." And that's a fairly common attitude I've come across. It's a far cry from accepting, but at least it's not "THESE PEOPLE ARE DISGUSTING AND ARE SENDING OUR COUNTRY TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET ARAWRGARGLE THROW ROCKS AT THEM". I'm sure we have more than our fair share of those, but most people? Gonna be at least civil to you, whatever their opinions are.

And there are a toooon of Texan GLBTQ organizations, especially around metropolitan areas! We're here! We have parades too! =D

So, really. It's not like it's a seething cauldron of prejudice all the time, everywhere. The people are generally okay. Our elected officials? Complete idiots, vocal idiots, and I realize it's stubborn red-dog Republican pride that keeps them in office. But just so you know: Yes, there are many Texans who realize just how stupid our governor, representatives, and senators make us look. We are not proud of them.

And this may just be anecdotal evidence, but my dad's mom runs a TV repair shop out in a liiiittle east Texas town; it's one of those towns where you can't swing a cat without hitting a church. And the employee she's training to take over the business is a lesbian, in a long-time relationship with another woman, and nobody cares. She talks about her girlfriend and nobody bats an eye. It's no big thing. So we have sane people here, too. =)

18. frostreaver

This Adam vs Kris thing is getting old and its not like this show isn't rigged from the start.

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And that's great, on a personal basis. Definitely, as you say, not the same as outright rejection and attack. The problem is, though, that people as you describe them above still vote, invariably, for either rabid homophobes or people who are extremely beholden to rabid homophobes, so the whole "live and let live" thing is great in theory but when it comes to who people like that elect, it's still incredibly problematic. So to me, that makes Texas (and any number of other jurisdictions, like Alberta in Canada, no doubt Alabama and much of the rest of the Southern US, etc.) hugely awful. Because if it were just a matter of how right-wing evangelical Republican types treated us on a personal level, "live and let live" would be fine. But it goes way beyond that. And it goes way beyond the gay issue, too. I'm sure none of the people you describe above are going to attack a woman who they know has had an abortion, but you can be damned sure they'll support candidates who want to outlaw it. So how people treat—on a day-to-day basis—others with beliefs they don't accept or who make choices they don't like is only part of the story.

Sorry, I don't mean to beat a dead horse... I have no doubt any number of people who live in Texas are great people who would treat me and mine with respect. But overall, as a whole or any kind of political body, I would rather stay as far away from it as possible. Which is pretty much exactly how I feel about Alberta here at home. :slight_smile:

20. GhostDog

Oh, definitely. I'm not trying to make it out as some great progressive state, because it's not. It is backwards in many, many ways. My parents remember when the schools were desegregated here, and the general grumbling that caused. I have no doubt that if gay rights happen in Texas, they're going to have to do so from a federal level, because there's no way in hell it's getting voted in here anytime soon. It's easy to vote against a group you have a beef with, even if you're nice to their face. It's not like they're in the booth with you.

So, politically, yes, Texas is backwards and only too happy to deny someone their civil rights for no reason beyond pure bigotry. I hate it. I won't deny I'd find it tempting to just move if it didn't make me want to fight it so much. On some level I feel like I'd be staying to spite the people who'd be happy to see people like me go. =P

But it does seem to be making some sort of slow, reluctant progress though, even if it is just on a personal level. That was more my point than anything. It sure ain't a shining beacon of hope, but my basic feelings on it are, "Eh. Could be worse."

But, uh, I wouldn't move here if I didn't already live here, no. Hehe. =P