1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eastenders going to have a gay muslim storyline

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by riddlerno1, May 30, 2009.

1. riddlerno1

http://msnuktvsoaps.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E65397F19A3BDCEA!7803.entry

Apparently eastenders are going down the controversial route and having a gay muslim story. There has been a debate from both sides.

Obviously being gay and hindu, personally i think a story like this was long overdue and is helpful for ethnic minorities who are gay as it gets the issue out there!

what does everyone think?

2. stymied

stymied Guest

I think it's a really great idea. It might give some young muslim teens struggling with their sexuality... not so much a role model, but exposure to the idea of being gay. Like if that Muslim man is gay, why can't I be gay? sort of thing. I mean, how many gay muslims can you name off of the top of your head?

3. Just Adam

i think its good but overkill its like they are trying to hit two stones at once. im wondering if its the oldest brother who just came into the massud ( hope thats somewhere near right) household as the made such a big deal on the womanizer thing with his mum trying to set him up to turn around and go i am gay would prob be seen as a plot twist with a mum going :O... but i forsee it these things dont get me...

prob wrong though haha

but it does seem that they are trying to over hit it with sexuality and ethnicity and religious angles but if they can pull it off then i think it could work if done right. eastenders hasent really been to great with the gay issue in a serious way.. last one i remember in 90's he had mental breakdownif i remember... and now weve got a stereotypical clown..

im sort of worried on the storyline for this will there be acceptance will it be a portrail of a harsh side of beeing gay, i think the later as it will be more of a storyline for it Eastenders loves a familly bust up :S but i dont like keep seeing the negatives in dramas on tv and as said above abut helping people come to terms or come out this if done in a negative way could do opposite as they will picture theyre familly like whatever the reaction is.

4. riddlerno1

You are right adam, it is the oldest son who is being portrayed as a womaniser who is going to be involved in this. I agree they will need to show a balance and i guess that it will involve alot of family arguing and what not but hopefully they stick with it and show how the family progresses with it and learn to accept it over time.

5. Just Adam

it would be great if it focus's more on the familly accepting than the gay son himself as it will help my familly for when i tell them some day :frowning2: of course ill still be homeless afterwards ha

i dont like the character though hes so obvious. very pretty boy ish if you know what i mean he looks so clean and macho ish its almost a stereotype in itself

but i hope they do develop it well. as it will if nothing else better than oh wheres my baby and whos shagging who and theyve gone nuts :S

6. pirateninja

7. riddlerno1

8. jotheoneandonly

9. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

A lot of the anti comments made me laugh. I cant take them seriously anymore.

10. Just Adam

However, the plotline has already attracted criticism from Asghar Bokhari from the Muslim Public Affairs Committee. He said: "The Muslim community deserves a character that represents them to the wider public because Islamophobia is so great right now. There's a lack of understanding of Muslims already and I think EastEnders really lost an opportunity to present a normal friendly Muslim character to the British public."

"NORMAL" wtf this is normal its not like theyve said ok were doing a terrorist plotline or your really and asylum seeker..... if that was true daily mail would of reported this story line ages ago...anyway

But Yusuf Wehebi from Imaan - an organisation that supports gay Muslims - disagrees. "It is high time that the invisible minority became a visible minority," he said.
    "It is entirely possible to be Muslim and gay and there's many of us in Britain today. It is great that the BBC have had the courage to raise such an important social issue in our society today."

my god no wonder gay people have trouble if your the spokesperson how negative and meh do you sound :S geez show something and hows it brave of Eastenders to do this ?????? its only a gay storyline they happen all the time usually misserablely but brave? why is the muslim factor so important your only human geez anyone can be gay it dont matter :S

my problem is theyve just made him sort of flirting with a woman so if hes suddenly gay its just a horrid plot development,

christian finally gets a storyline huh :S always been bit of a redundant character i dont see how these two would fit together one is outgoing and partyish the other is broody and quite serious hideing it under flirtacious attitude

ill watch though haha just for the cringe factor

oh and i didnt bother to read the posts people thought to put as i saw one line and thought oh whats the point lol

11. Just Adam

i actually could use a laugh i may read them

12. Just Adam

ok i was wrong theyre crappy lol

13. JakeBHT

Nice, I'll watch it!

14. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I have no idea wot eastenders is but good on them for doing something that is going to rile a lot of ppl

15. riddlerno1

Eastenders is a British Soap opera based on the lives of folk living in the east end of London.

16. Just Adam

well i wish they would hurry up :S the storylines are soooooooooooo slow christian looks like hes more likelly to put his head in the chip fryer at the moment than fall in love:S

17. riddlerno1

Did anyone see the episode last night? I was sitting there watching it with my parents and i was getting anxiety pains in my stomach!! Syed tells him mum minutes before the wedding and asks for her love and she cant even give him a hug! She then forces him to get married. I wish Christian had done more.

18. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

that cristian is a wierdo and i dont like him. i dont watch the show but i have an idea of whats been goin on. emmerdale started a gay storyline but its fizzled out again before it even got goin. i hope they continue.

19. RaeofLite

Watch the movie:

"I Can't Think Straight". It's the first Lesbian Muslim type romantic flick I've ever seen and yet it has some class. :slight_smile:

20. Connor22

well that should be interesting...