1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True Life: I'm a Bisexual

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shevanel, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Shevanel

So my sister had MTV on as I just walked in the room and True Life came on and it happened to be the episode "I'm a Bisexual". Has Anyone else seen this episode? What did you think of it? I think it shows a whole lot of the stereotypes and people believing the stereotypes. Then there is some realism to this too. Like this one chick Sydney is Bisexual like her boyfriend broke up with her because she's bisexual and he didn't trust her. I really don't like MTV. But I guess since this one is relevant to me. I don't know. Some of the reactions people have to their bisexuality really pisses me off. Saying how Bisexuals are just really confused people. and There was one quote that pissed me off a lot. "there is either a gay lifestyle or a straight lifestyle" also with the word Lifestyle. That word was thrown around a whole lot. And Lifestyle is a word that makes assumptions that there is an ability to choose. Homosexuality, Heterosexuality, Bisexuality, any sexuality isn't a lifestyle, it isn't a choice. I know EC doesn't have a lot of anti-bisexual sentiments but outside of EC its very different. And thats what scares me and thats what pisses me off too.

Sorry for the mini Rant, MTV is just a horrible thing that promotes the social "lifestyles" that they want. That they think is "normal"...

2. NkyJ

I had it on for a couple of minutes, but I couldn't stand it because as you said they were just throwing around some crazy words. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I also didn't like the fact that the bisexuals portrayed wanted to have BOTH the guy and the girl. So I turned it off.

3. Eccentric

I feel for ya, Joey. You don't live a gay lifestyle or a straight one. You live your own. And that may involve doing stereotypically gay things, straight things, or both. If you're gay, straight, bi, whatever. You just gotta live your own life, not MTV's.

4. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

True life used to be an intresting, non bias, educational show. When MTV dropped music and enterd the reality show aspect that all changed. True life became a drama show. It still has some nice stories in the 3 they show in each episode but its hardly the best tool, as it was way back when before 2001, for educating the public. You should write them a letter. im sure your not the only one who was bothered by the misinformation.

5. fallendream

Sorry for the mini Rant {--- your apologizing? trust me, its better you rant here than go snipe school-children from up on a water-tower

6. Greggers

I never trust ANYTHING about homo/bisexuality that is done by heterosexual people. Its about the most horrible thing for homo/bisexual people ever!

Mainly im talking about the things like MTV, Tyra Banks, Dr. Phil, Opera, The View, ECT ECT ECT! All these crappy shows run and produced by straight people who cover LGBT issues at times. Dont you find they seem to get it wrong alot?

Granted, sometimes i watch these things just to get the bad stuff out of it so i know what im up against. What was in the episode? Is it online?

7. Amy

Amy

I totally agree!

Has anyone seen True Life: I'm Deaf?
    I couldn't even finish that episode, it pissed me off so much...

8. Shevanel

Why would anyone do that? That's a tad extreme don'tya think? :rolleyes:

And Greg, I tried looking online and I don't think it is. But someone mentioned it earlier, the 3rd girl wanted to basically be in a polygamous relationship with a guy AND a girl at the same time, like that's different from bisexual... It's just ridiculous.

9. Shimmi

Shimmi Guest

I hate that most tv shows showcase Bisexuals wanting both the guy and the gal. Im bi and I don't date gals and guys at the same time. Its annoying that all straight ppl think they know it all. Yeesh I enjoyed your rant !

10. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

sorry i cant EVER watch reality tv, becuase for all its "reality" it just is sooo scripted. but i did watch the episode, and i thought it was hilarious. sorry if no one else found it funny, but i love people portraying "lifestyles". now, soap opera, like The O.C. i can TOTALLY go for!
    i <3 olivia wilde

11. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    so... the only seemingly normal bisexuals that get on TV are the ones that do want 3 way relationships?

maybe this version of the story was chosen because it's the most interesting of the potentials... which most people want to know about. The episode could have been better if it was about a bisexual being dropped from a relationship, and then having to pick a person out of the big sea of a new crowd... (wait that sounds similar to tila tiquila)

12. Étoile

I saw it last month and it was a mess.

I knew it was gonna be terrible and stereotypical when I first tuned in. Why would MTV film a bisexual having a normal, monogamous relationship? That wouldn't make good TV. They had to play on the stereotypes, fears, and misconceptions of straight people in order for them to get any viewers.

Most True Life episodes are really powerful and educational. Others, like I Have A Summer Romance (even though that guy who was a camp consulor dating that ugly bitch was HOT!) or I'm a Jersey Girl, really bring the show down.

BTW, what ever happened to MADE? I miss that show.

13. Shevanel

Everything on MTV is so fake >_>

14. Étoile

^Of course. Either completely staged or dramatized. Can you believe My Life As Liz is getting a new season? What did she do to even get a show in the first place?

15. VampConspiracy

I avoid MTV like the plague.

I was overjoyed to find out my sister doesn't watch that crap anymore.

16. Ugh. It really disgusted me how all of the "bisexuals" were whores. They wanted the man AND the woman. If you're going to do the right thing, choose one. If you can't, you're promoting a negative stereotype and harming your community, a community which is going through a huge, huge transitional period.

*deep, heavy sigh*

17. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I saw this once a while back and I was disgusted at it. Just shows all the more how MTV has gone downhill and it showed why I stopped watching in the first place.

18. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always avoid MTV. Seriously, that channel is just shit. So I didn't see this episode, and I really don't think I want to. From what it sounds like, they're just going based on stereotypes anyway, and I hate that. But what can anyone expect from the same channel that shows "The Hills" and "Jersey Shore," lol. Bisexuality isn't a "lifestyle," it's who you are. Don't pay attention to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. (and stay away from MTV, bro.) :slight_smile:

This kind of reminds me of a scene in a show that I otherwise adore, but this made me really cringe (not in a good way.) On "Sex And The City" Carrie was dating a guy who was bisexual. Anyway, when she told Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha about it, they said some crappy things like "Just pick a side! Stop being greedy!" and "Isn't that just a stop on the way to gaytown?" Ugh. Seriously?!

19. AlyssWonderland

Ugh. I saw this today. I wanted to punch the girl who wanted a guy and girl at the same time. Punch her right in the face. Thanks for making people believe the stereotype that bisexuals are slutty... *sigh*.

20. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally watch MTV if I'm looking for something to laugh at. Their 16 and Pregnant show never fails to have me in stitches. Stupid people doing stupid things if you ask me. The Bisexual episode of True Life, or more broadly anything to do with Bisexuals on MTV in general, is no different. The young people depicted often treat their sexuality as an accesory to be worn in order to look cool. Again, stupid people doing stupid things if you ask me... :rolle: