1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Metal Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by djt820, Jun 10, 2009.

1. djt820

Yes, yes, I know we have a metal MUSIC VIDEO thread but thats been dead for a while. So here's where we talk metal and metal only. Shit metal is subject to spanking. Rock could be tolerable. The Jonas Brothers are not rock.
    To start us off, what are some of the albums you're looking foward to this year? For me, it has to be Between the Buried and Me's new album.

2. Shevanel

BTBAM is awesome. Although I can't think of any other albums i'm looking forward to at the moment.

3. Apocalypte

Hoping Sonata Arctica's new album makes it out before the end of the year, but that's looking more like 2010 at this stage. Also looking forward to Korpiklaani's new album - Karkelo - which I think is coming out in July.

Of course, it's only 13 days until Dream Theater's new album is officially released, but I've been listening to that for a while now :wink:

4. djt820

Im going to have to take a listen to the new Dream Theater. Is it anything like Train Of Thought?

5. Apocalypte

Some of the songs are - The Shattered Fortress and A Rite Of Passage are probably the tracks that come closest to the Train of Thought vibe.

6. djt820

Cmon guys. I know theres more than 2 people who like metal. Here's an easier question: What are your favorite bands? Why?
    My favorite metal band has to be Death. No band has ever surpassed their awesomeness.
    Also, I think I'll get that Dream theater album sometime this next week.

7. MusicIsLife

At the moment im obsessed with female-fronted metal. Otep, Nightwish, The Agonist, and such. I'm also getting really into Opeth lately.

8. MusicIsLife

Oh and Arch Enemy! Angela Gossaw is a goddess.

9. djt820

Opeth is the absolute shit. Whats albums you got from them?

10. Apocalypte

If you don't already have Blackwater Park, you need it in your life.

My bro and his GF are seeing Opeth at Download this weekend, and I'm stuck at home :frowning2::frowning2:

My favourite bands? Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, Apocalyptica, Blind Guardian, Mastodon, Opeth, Gojira, Arch Enemy, Korpiklaani, Pantera, Down, Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes, Epica, Within Temptation, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Stam1na, Terasbetoni, Angra, Symphony X, Ensiferum, Black Sabbath...

I'm listening to Mastodon right now. In the interest of sharing the love...

[youtube]Sc4_ri926ZQ[/youtube]

#10 Apocalypte, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  11. CrimsonThunder

My favorite type of metal is Aluminum. /typical loser reply. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nah, metal ftw boys!

My fav band is Iron Maiden. I dont keep up to date when new albums come out, so i dont have any I'm looking forward too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. STK

STK Guest

MEGADETH FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING WIN! Can't wait for their new album.

Oh and Between the Buried and Me are core, not metal. But that's just me.

Anybody here a fan of old-school death metal like Dismember? They're one of my favorites, along with Death.

13. MusicIsLife

None, at the moment. I've only very recently got into them, so I've only heard a handful of songs via youtube.

14. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Female-fronted symphonic metal is the shit. I think my favorite band is Nightwish. It´s between them and Within Temptation. I also like Xandria, Epica, After Forever, Avantasia, Sirenia... I probably forgot a few.

Then I have a couple of Theater Of Tragedy, Tristania, Sonata Arctica and Apocalyptica albums on my iPod I´m going to listen to soon.

15. djt820

Only reason Im looking foward to the new Megadeth is because of Chris Broderick. He's a better guitarist than Dave is. And core is metal, most of it is shit though. BTBAM is certainly not shit though. I got into Death because of the Tech. Death scene along with Cynic and others.

16. djt820

Surprisingly enough, Blackwater Park is my least favorite album by them. Ghost Reveries and Still Life ftw!

17. Apocalypte

I love Ghost Reveries and Still Life too... but Blackwater Park was the album that got me hooked on Opeth. I actually really like Watershed too, it took a while to grow on me but it got there eventually.

[youtube]4UQCqvkWdAs[/youtube]

18. djt820

Watershed was my first Opeth album. :grin:

19. Apocalypte

Silly question for the thread: who were your gateway bands, the bands that first got you into metal?

For me - there were quite a few different ones.
    I was a huge Nirvana fan when I was younger (yes, I know they're grunge), and their unplugged album is still one of my all-time favourites. Same thing with Nevermind - it's really weird to think of how long it's been since that came out! I was also a huge Foo Fighters, Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers fan when I was younger - I still listen to the older stuff by them from time to time. Californication was amazing when I was about 15 :slight_smile:

I started listening to Korn and Slipknot in my mid-teens at the suggestion of one of the girls I was friends with (and thought was kinda cute...) at CTYI - I still listen to Slipknot now sometimes, particularly when I'm running, but thankfully I got over the whole Korn thing quickly. Metalcore is not one of my loves, but Slipknot actually grew up a bit with Vol III: The Subliminal Verses.

I went through a huge System Of A Down and Metallica phase during my Leaving Cert year - Toxicity came out that year. I started listening to Metallica because my friend bought me Ride The Lightning for a present (AWESOME!). I've moved on a bit from both of those, but some days I'll just throw on Master of Puppets and rock out :slight_smile:

Finally, my taste for power, prog and symphonic metal really got kickstarted when I discovered Sonata Arctica and Nightwish through recommendations on the old samus.co.uk forums. That was probably about 6-7 years ago.

In the words of the Manic Street Preachers: this is my truth, tell me yours :slight_smile:

20. Shevanel

Honestly, it was probably Linkin Park when I was in Middle School. And then it just evolved and grew from there. Thats such an embarrassing starting point though XD. I think then I got REALLY into Nirvana around the time I started getting more into playing guitar. Then my musical tastes just expanded exponentially.