1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Sister's Keeper (film)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Amy, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Amy

Amy

My Sister's Keeper came out yesterday in the US and UK. Don't know about the rest of you.
    The book by Jodi Picoult was based on the real story of a girl designed to donate blood to her sister. In the true story, the sick daughter gets well quickly and has a very happy ending. However, the book--and therefore film--does not. The sister with acute promyelocytic leukemia, Kate, goes back and forth between health and recovery. After many donations, some of which have hurt the "designer baby", Anna, the mother asks her to donate a kidney in order to keep Kate alive for at least a bit longer. However, Anna doesn't want to; she is done with being seen only as a way for Kate to live, because she wants to live, too. So, she files for a medical emancipation in order to have the rights to her own body.
    Note: Have tissues.

(Highlight below for my opinion and serious spoilers.)
    WHAT THE HEL?!?!?!?!?!?!?! FGHKLFGHAKIDFGHOAGHAL KFJDGHKDFHGHGADFGH
    How could they kill Anna? That is rediculous. It tottaly changes it all. Also, not putting in Julia fucked with the plot. Because there was so not enough enough of Alec Baldwin being sarcastic and sincere at the same time.

2. touchofgrey

Yeah... I don't know. I like the ending of the movie because it's more realistic, but I like the cruel irony of the book.

Good movie regardless.

3. Amy

Amy

I know, right?
    Plus, the ballet part was left out. And that was so beautiful/sad.

4. touchofgrey

It's been years since I read the book..... what was the ballet part? I remember they also left out the whole thing with Jesse getting into trouble and shit, but I was okay with the fact they left that out-- there's just so much else going on.

5. Amy

Amy

Yea, Jesse wasn't a pyro. Fail.
    Imma write on your wall, because I'm not gonna ruin it for everyone else.

6. Jace

i never read the boook

but the movie was saddd

so in the book anna dies?
    why? what happens?

i dont care if it ruins the story, i probably wont read it for awhile

7. Amy

Amy

Shussshhh.
    But, yea. She does.
    She gets in a car accident after the verdict is read (she wins and Campbell is her medical gaurdian). Brian is first on the scene to help with the crash, not knowing that it's his daughter. She dies in the hospital with her family. And then donates her kidney to Kate. And Kate makes this amazing recovery and becomes a ballet teacher. (You have to read the book to understand that part...)