1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I Can Feel It..." Killing Artificial Intelligence - Would it be wrong?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shevanel, Jul 17, 2009.

?

Would you be able to Destroy an AI?

1. Yes, It is just a bunch of circuits

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. Yes, but I'd feel bad because of the human-like nature

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. No, It would be like killing a human, and they'd deserve rights

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. I'm not sure

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Shevanel

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS OF THE FILM 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY IN VIDEO BELOW. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM, UNLESS YOU KNOW ABOUT IT OR HAVE NO INTENTION OF SEEING IT (If the last part is the case, then shame on you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85wCw3ArNhs[/YOUTUBE]

Okay. So the last few days I've had the song Daisy stuck in my head (ya know: Daisy Daisy blah blah blah blah blah blah, I'm half crazy blah blah blah blah blah blah xD) and it made me think of that scene from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

So I rewatched that scene and thought about how creepy it was, and then about what Hal 9000 was saying when he was being switched off. "I Can Feel It" "I'm Scared" "Stop, Please" . I don't know if modern technology has reached creating Artificial Intelligence of even a close degree to Hal 9000, but if they have (Or rather when they will), honestly that's scary (but that's another thread for another day :rolleyes: ) How will AI's be treated? I mean, it's intelligence, although created by humans, should it be treated any less than a human? Just because it's created by wires and a motherboard and such?

This is also similar to the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica. They're Organic Artificial Intelligence. What i'm saying, If you were to kill an AI, whether it be in the form of a computer, or one that looks just like a living breathing human being, would you feel bad? Would you be able to destroy something with human like intelligence even though it's only a bunch of metal, made by humans? Would it be any different than killing a human? Especially when they're telling you to "Please Stop" and start singing a song? =P I just find it really interesting.

I'm not sure what my own opinion on this is, and This thread is DEFINITELY not meant for debate, I just want opinions because it is a big possibility such technology will be available to us in the future.

2. djt820

Well, robots cant have emotions. They do not have a conscience. Id probably feel remorse though. I could probably prefer robots over humans anyways. I want my own Arnold. >_>

3. Fiender

It may be possible for humans to one day create a synthetic intelligence that is truly conscious and self aware; I am sure that this is an eventuality. However, we are not capable of this today. Hell, we won't be able to manufacture sentience for hundreds of years at the least.

No doubt in the coming years and decades machines will be able to imitate emotion and thought but in the end that's all it is: imitation. A machine running its program is not conscious. The day a computer can go against it's programming through anything other than a malfunction (in the same way humans can go against their better instincts and judgment) then maybe that would count as a true a.i.

4. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have already developed computers and robots which can learn and AI has been developed for years, and we actually have a fair amount of what we need for fully conscious computers done.

I reckon it would be kinda wrong to kill AI.. I feel bad enough already when I kill sims in The Sims 3. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

wouldn't bother me in the least, i don't think attempting to create artificial life is a good idea anyway, producing anything with the capacity to outdo it's creators is asking for trouble but maybe i.ve watched too many films.:slight_smile: Then again i'd feel the same (threatened, i mean, not happy to destroy them) about developing genetically superior humans, with improved physical and mental capabilities, in the end they'd look on the mark 1 human as inferior and a waste of space... But that's another thread.

6. CrystalCat

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwTJ7mCcFoY[/YOUTUBE]

Discussion reminds me of this new movie coming up. Side Note the movie looks really interesting :slight_smile:
    And bruce with hair looks awkward or is it just me

#6 CrystalCat, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  7. Shevanel

That's an interesting concept for a film, although I think that's pretty bullshit with the whole we don't have to go outside anymore thing xD But that's just me =P

And Bruce Willis used to have hair you know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: xD

There were also other films that sorta dealt with this topic. Like A.I. (Stanley Kubrick was actually supposed to direct this film also but he passed away before he was able to) and Bicentennial Man.

8. RaRa

I wouldn't mind smashing them to death, hey, it's a good outlet for anger.

Actually sounds like a lot of fun.

9. Shevanel

So to those who say that they wouldn't mind killing an AI at all, what makes them different than a human that this is allowed in your eyes?

10. Meropspusillus

Really, we're just machines too. In my mind, the only way you could create AI would be to replicate the human brain. In that case it would be real intelligence, but fake brain.

11. frostreaver

This reminds me of the video game Mass Effect in which an alien race created robots with AI that became sentient. It didn't turn out too well for them cause the robots sent them into exile and now they're wandering around the galaxy in their fleet of spaceships.

12. littledinosaurs

I think the situation matters.
    if the AI is trying to kill me i'd probably not feel that bad.
    But i wouldn't just kill one for shits and giggles.
    *shrug*

13. Étoile

No, unless they became a criminal like a serial killer/rapist or tried to rule the world. I feel bad about killing my sims in The Sims 3. LOL

14. oneguy15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty much a mixture of option 2 and 3. I certainly wouldn't feel much remorse over destroying an A.I. that was out to get me (too many movies I know), but I would never kill such a thing unprovoked. While these machines may only display counterfeit emotions and personalities, that shouldn't give me a reason to go around murdering the personality embedded into the creation. I'm quite surprised at the amount of people here willing to smash an A.I., actually. In my eyes, any kind of sentient or thinking life form deserves a shot at life, and consequentially, equal rights.

15. Shevanel

There are a bunch of people in this thread who have said what is bolded and/or something similar. In that case, If the being that is out to get you is a human, would you also feel no remorse over destroying it? Or is it only because it's an AI that you would be able to kill it.

16. CrystalCat

I'm very paranoid when it comes to robot technology and creating artificial intelligence and i'm very opposed to it for this simple reason. Why, what's the point? I see it as a science's way of measuring (for lack of a better word) their dicks. And plus as humans we tend to create things that could be used for good, and turn them into weapons of war. I wouldn't be surprised if they started dropping down robots to annihilate villages

17. Shevanel

I'll be honest, the first thing i thought of was Metal Gear xD But I agree with you somewhat. I always have this fear that something like Terminator will happen, that we'll let the AI take control of our nuclear defenses or something. Who knows. And besides, we pretty much already do that, with UAVs and Such things. Not actual robots though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. djt820

The point of making robots would be to make human life easier. I mean, look around you, all your jobs are being taking over by robots.

19. Étoile

Not necessarily. Working at retail, humans did 90% of the work and there're still many poor folks that work in construction.

20. oneguy15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point, and I'd have to say the fact that it was an A.I. would be the reason I would kill it without much hesitation. I know it would be terrible and maybe a tad bit contradictory on my part, but in my mind I would rationalize the murder due to the fact that the A.I. has no real "family" and wouldn't be missed by anyone.

Had it been a human pursuer with bad intent, and if I were actually able to kill them (doubt it), I would feel bad because that person had a history. They most likely had a family, friends, or some kind of twisted childhood if they were actually plotting to murder me.

I feel like I can't properly express my point in words, so I just have to hope you get what I'm trying to say. I would be more than willing to exist alongside A.I., but were they to turn hostile, I would kill them with much more ease than I would a human. :/