1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing LBGT books?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Emberstone

I have been writing preatty much nonstop for 5 years this november on a series, and recently, in responce to a tv discussion between a bunch of racist/homophobic conservative whackjobs, who were useing religion to trash gays openly, I kept fighting back a story that has formed in my mind. Last night I decided to start outlining it, and wrote a short prologue to get a specific series of thoughts on how I could start the story down.

I have only been out for a year, but have viewed myself as gay for most of my life. I am working in my planning stage to outline how the book will go to explore the process of a person struggling through their sexuality. It is alot more mature then my series, which is for a younger audience, and is a adventure/thriller/mystery series, where as this is more dramatic and thematic.

Has anyone else considered writing books about LBGT issues and themes?

2. Shevanel

Eventually I want to make an LGBT themed film that's more realistic and less... Promiscuous in nature? So you could say its in the same sort of ... area. I don't really know what it'd be about really, but I guess I have more than enough ideas and sources in my head.

I was going to say something clever, but then I forgot xD

3. GhostDog

Well, I dunno if it's so much specifically LGBT, or a book, but I'm currently outlining a comic book project with a lesbian for the main character. =D The actual story isn't focused around sexuality or anything, but the themes will be there. I mean, most of the graphic novels I read have some sort of Romantic Subplot, why the hell shouldn't said subplot be gay as blazes? =D

Mostly what it is, is that I read that you should aim to make a story that you would read. Which totally makes sense. And it annoys me that so often in stories where the main theme is not just 'dealing with queerness', any gay characters are side characters, or they have a Tragic Relationship and one of them dies or something. And argh! Just for once! I'd like to see a happy same-sex relationship in a story where a partner doesn't get killed off, while the Main Hetero Pair are sad for them, but they survive and live happily ever after. And that bugs me! Why not have a same-sex relationship in a story that's treated like a hetero one? I mean, come on. TV tropes even noticed. (Fair warning: TV tropes is a terrible time sink.)

And I rarely see lesbians as main characters (or gay guys, for that matter) in stories that aren't specifically queer lit or something.

So! I'm just gonna freakin' write one. Maybe it'll suck (I'm not a practiced writer and I've never done long-narrative comics), maybe it won't, but I'm dedicating a lot of energy to make it as good as I can.

4. Emberstone

Well, the book isnt sexual or premiscuius in nature. It is more of a dark emotional story than anything else.

5. rainemc

My friend Is actually writing a Gay love story. They are not stereotypical and they live In Texas. I'm giving her ideas. I'm so glad she's doing It. It's great so far.
    I don't like to write so I'd never do it personally but I have written a GLBT poem.

6. Shevanel

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I've been working on a queer-themed YA novel for the past couple of years - there's pretty much nothing out there that's Australian and I'd like to fill that niche. I'm not that good a writer but I thinkI'll get better with time.

8. stymied

stymied Guest

The main character in the story I'm working on could be considered transgendered, and it explores human sexuality, but I wouldn't say it's LGBT themed.

9. acorn7

I applaud you for writing fiction like this, especially LGBT stuff. I adore reading gay stories and gay books :slight_smile: I really should try to write something, but I've never been patient enough to take the time and do it.

10. Markio

They say to write what you know, and since I'm gay, I figure that whatever I write will probably have an LGBT influence.

One idea I have is a play about a gay couple, where one guy is very flamboyant and the other passes easily as straight. It would be about how they each have opposite stereotypes to fit in with, depending on when they're with their gay friends or straight friends. I think there's a scene where the more effeminate one tries mimicking their lesbian friend so that he can appear more "straight". I want to write it because I had to act straight until I came out, and then I felt like I had to act gay around my gay friends.

11. Emberstone

I am writing more of a dark book, that really can be considered a tragedy. I cant really write romance, seeing as I have never truly been in a romantic relationship. but I got so incensed at a guy on tv who said "this is a chirstian country, and you are either chirstian, a terrorist, or a gay... if you are not the first one, you need to kill yourself, because we dont want you in america."

Pisses me off what conservative people say. but it really got under my skin, and for me, the best way to explore something deeper is to write about it.

No doubt there are books already about someone who is gay who kills themselves rather then deal with the things people say and do to them, but I really am not writing this with the intention yet of persueing publication. Well, I only have written a prologue that is simply a page and a few sentences, so it is too early to think of anything else but the story. who knows, maybe I might find when I finish a rough draft that I feel it might be something people would read, and a publisher might be interested in.

but a day in on deciding to write it is a bit too early to be thinking about anything else but the story's progression.

12. theskywreck

I always write little stories in which I'm the main character (in third person, usually) and I deal with issues such as coming out and such. They're ways for me to plan what I'm going to say and how I'm going to respond to their reactions. Most are under five thousand words, so they're hardly considered stories.

But I am writing a novel. My main character is quite androgynous, and sometimes presents herself as male; two of my other protagonists are gay, but it's not the main plot. However, the story is an allegory for my life, which has a lot of LGBT themes to it. It helps me cope with my feelings and such.

I suggest writing LGBT themes if it is helpful to you and you enjoy writing.