1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shutter Island

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Swamp56, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Dennis Lehane wrote a really amazing book called Shutter Island, and now it's going to become a movie :badgrin: . I'm like a huge fanboi of this book - I read it when I was in the hospital last time. They could barely get me out of my room this book had me so fascinated xD .

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdumGs1qoXM[/YOUTUBE]

Tell me what you think of the trailer :slight_smile: .

Oh, and you might think you know what's going to happen, but you don't :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . It takes place at Shutter Island, an island off the coast of Boston (if you didn't catch the Bostonian accent Scorsese always uses :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

#1 Swamp56, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  2. lostinthought9

Hmmm....Leonardo. :grin:

It looks interesting though.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ya, it looks similar to Bournewood Systems Hospital, which is the hospital I was in located in Brookline, MA.

I love Ben Kingsley (who plays the psychiatrist)...I'm guessing they're going to change the end of the book though.

4. Shevanel

Dude, this is probably going to be really good. It's Martin Scorsese for God's sake! (If You didn't know before, I'm a huge HUGE fan of Scorsese.) DiCaprio has proved himself to a pretty great actor, and he works well with Scorsese. I'm looking forward to this a lot now.

And Chris, You don't think this kind of book would be a bit... harmful to read while in the hospital? xD

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I didn't realize that 1/2 the patients in Ashcliffe, the hospital in the book would be schizophrenic, so when I got to that part, I weirded out, but that's about it.

I was telling the psychiatric nurses about it and they were like "This sounds so good :grin:" and they wrote the name of it down.

6. Swimming4ever

I'm soooo confused with the ending. Can someone please explain if his wife was burned or shot. Also was that women in the cave real and she was telling him the truth. Or was he always crazy to begin with. I need to know the truth about this movie!!! It's killing me

7. partietraumatic

annyone who hasnt read it... SPOILER

basically he was crazy all along. His wife murdered both his kids and was then shot. However she was mentally ill, and had told him that. But he hadn't got any help for her. Therefore he blamed himself for his kids deaths. But he couldn't accept what had happened. So instead he constructed this fantasy of him being the fbi agent. Ben Kingsley let him play out the fantasy, in the hope of a break through, and that he would realise.

On another note, has anyone seem Memento. The twist in the two films is identical!

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Didn't see the movie, but the soundtrack kicks butt.

Lex

9. Shevanel

Read the book, Lex. TO anyone who didn't see the movie, pleaseeeeeeee read the book first. As much as I love Scorsese with all of my heart, the book is much better.