1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you are looking for a Teen LGBT Coming out novel, what sort of plot do you like?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicIsLife, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

I'm an amateur author, and ive been writing lgbt-esque stories [mostly teen romance or drama] since I was about 14-15, and I havent really stopped since. Because of this, I've sort of developed a habit of writing not only for myself, but for a potential audience, and I think because of this I've usually managed to get more readers [fanfiction, yay!].

So now I'm working on an original lesbian story, and I was wondering to those of you who like teen LGBT drama/romance/coming out kind of books, what do you look for in terms of plot, character development, etc? I'm going from a Rainbow Boys, Annie On My Mind, Keeping You A Secret kind of place.

I just want to get a general idea, and I can't really say what the story is about yet, because even though i have a few chapters done, there's no solid plot or direction yet.

2. Hoppip

Re: If you are looking for a Teen LGBT Coming out novel, what sort of plot do you lik

Well I kinda like ensemble casts with lots of character development and drama. I think you could play around with a lot of different types of people with that. Also the whole strangers-whose-lives-are-tied-together kind of thing really intrigues me. It adds a big element of depth, you know?

You could challenge yourself and try to do something new with your writing. Like something anachronistic jump-around-time-"meanwhile..." like Catch-22, or an epistolary diary-style like Flowers for Algernon (or combine them!).

Does that help at all or did I completely miss the boat on what you were asking for..? xD

3. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Re: If you are looking for a Teen LGBT Coming out novel, what sort of plot do you lik

I like a story with lot's of different twist's like fingersmith thta took so many unexpected turns which made me want to double read each page

Im not an authour so I don't know what makes good writing but i just thought i would give an opinion on what i enjoy reading sorry i couldn't be more help

4. justinishere

I loved Rainbow Boys so you have something to go good off of :slight_smile:

I love stories that have all the mushy gushy cheesy love stuff. So there has to be the classic romantic dates and affection. But like Carrie said there should be some twists. Life isn't always perfect like it's portrayed and the couple in a story just can't go on perfect with no fights/arguments.

Good luck with the story! :slight_smile: