1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Accent

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by PeaceLoveJoy, Aug 27, 2009.

1. PeaceLoveJoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm auditioning for a play at my school (The Man who came to dinner) and the character Beverly Carlton in Bristish, and I want to read for that part, how would I read this-refer to below-with a British accent

"Don't tell me how are are, Sherry dear. I want none of the tiresome details. I have only a little time, so the conversation will be entirely about me, and I shall love it. SHall I tell you how I glittered through the South Seas like a silver scimitar, or would you rather hear how I frolicked through Zambesia, raping the Major-General's daughter and finishing a three-act play at the same time? Magpie dear, you are the moon-flower of my middle age, and I love you very much. Say something tender to me."

2. mattypants

id give you my attempt at an ipa accent translation... but even if you could understand it, id probably fail at adequately translating it... plus, theres more than 1 'british' accent...

maybe an englishman from here can record themselves reading the txt and you can just emulate them...

3. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    I dare say old chap... why not base it off of a charicature of a british person? that would make it... oh similar to what you're looking for, right? other than that I'd say don't pronounce any H's... should help some with a fake accent

4. endless poetry

I know how it`s supposed to sound... can`t do it right though.

oh it`s 1400 in CET. Brits will come to your rescue in no time.

5. mattypants

yeah, if youre going for a cockney accent :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Porphyrogenitus

Have you seen the movie adaption (the 1942 one)? That'd be a good place to start. In any case, the character of Beverly Carlton is based on Noel Coward, so maybe see if you can find any audio clips of him on youtube.

7. PJ James

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    he he he Acents. The last time I tried to do an american one it migrated from Texas to Turonto in about 30 seconds :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

seriously watch a program where there is a british aristocrat becuase that's what the play reads like and then try to emulate that. The period drama's on the BBC world service would probably be the best

thougg if you watch Merlin you can also get really good eye candy in the form of Bradley James and Colin Morgan

Hope this helps

8. Ben

Ben

Well there are so many English accents, just youtube some interviews with British celebrities and you'll see that.
    I guess Americans drag out their "r"s a lot more than most British accents. Also you need to pronounce your "t"s, unless you're going for a less posh English accent then you might want to replace some "t"s (not at the start of words) with glottal stops. Don't drag out your vowels too much, and I think British accents can get away with being more monotonous. Just don't try and copy how the Queen speaks, because that's pretty much the epitome of posh.
    You could upload a voice clip here if you want the Brits on EC to tell you if it's convincing or not. :slight_smile: