1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NaNoWriMo 2009

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Emberstone

Well, on the verge of two months to the kick off to NaNoWriMo 2009, and I thought we should have a thread for this years participants.

For those unfamiler with National Novel Writing Month, NaNo is a time, every november when writers all over he world collectively gather at their computers to plunk out 50k words or more in a month's time on a novel. It really isnt about quality, but it is a good way to get ideas down and play around with them to see what works, and what should be forgotten with great mental effort.

You can't edit or rewrite, but you simply just write.

It actually is alot of fun. I have won the last two years, and this will be my fourth year doing nano.

The Website for people interested is www.nanowrimo.org and you will be able to register a account if you dont have one october 1st. Also, you can sign up to a region, and many regions have local ML's that host meetups before, throughout and after NaNo, which is a fun way to vent some steam, play games, talk about how your novel is going, and just get to know your fellow writers.

2. Amy

Amy

I'm totally doing it this year.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm giving it a try this year.

4. Eponine

I'm attempting it this year. :slight_smile:

5. Stuie

I'd love to give it a try, just did it have to be November? I have exams in November. :frowning2: Although they do only go until the middle of it, so I might have time. I'd love to give it a go. :grin: But knowing me, I'd basically have 50,000 words of complete nonsense. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: LENGTHY DREAM SEQUENCE INVOLVING WAAAAY TOO MUCH CUSTARD!

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm planning to try and write a terrible romance novel with every cliche known to man. Trust me, anything you write will make more sense than that.

7. Iceeh

I've been trying to commit to this ever since I was 12, and due to a bit more free time this year, I think I'm gonna give it a go and crank out something legible. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Ben

Ben

I just know that if I attempt to write any kind of story that is meant to make sense, I will fail 50,000 times over.
    So I'll probably write a huge stream of confusing and complex consciousness, maybe laced with some kind of story. Omg I just had an idea.
    And another idea.
    BrainjuicesareflowingRIGHTNOW.

9. pirateninja

I entered last year and hit the 50,000 mark. That one is still being edited.

I may do another one, I've had a few ideas and it would be cool to have another manuscript in the works.

10. Soofdope

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This will be my second year doing NaNoWriMo. I made it (barely though) last year and it was so much fun. I don't think I could have done it, though, if half of my friends hadn't also been participating. It was great, because we could cheer each other on and try to beat each other by making it sooner than the others.

My story this year is going to be about a little girl who's quite mature for her age, who knows a lot about the world - or at least how grown-ups think the world functions - but lacks imagination. Then I want to have her go on an adventure of sorts (I'm not quite sure yet what I'm going to use as a reason for this, but I guess I'll figure that out along the way) and have her discover that the world is actually more like the stories children come up with sometimes to explain certain things, like how gravity is actually caused by a gigantic magnet inside the earth. That was actually said by my niece one day. I'm going to try and finish it by her birthday and give it to her as a present. :grin:

So what are your stories going to be about? Do you all have a concrete plan, or are you just starting at November 1 and see where you inspiration takes you?

11. Emberstone

heck... it worked for stephenie meyer...

12. Bookmarked

I entered last year. I wept blood and tears and other bodily fluids. In the end, my burgeoning medical degree made it nigh on impossible to do. So I gave up and collapsed in a pool of relief and what I hope was cowardice. It probably wasn't.

HOWEVER!

This year, I'm going to try again. I probably shan't get much further than I did last year, but I love a challenge. I especially love ironic, stupid challenges that make me suffer. They're fun.

As for plot, I haven't given it a great deal of thought. I was thinking, perhaps, I could try writing a little fantasy, as I've never even touched the genre before. I might change my mind, still. I reserve that right...

13. Hoppip

Damnit, Emberstone! You beat me to the NaNoWriMo '09 thread-making punch! Grr. :'P

I'm so super stoked for NaNo '09. I did '08 last year, only hitting 20,000 words, but I was very satisfied with my work. It'll be hard to top it this year I know. But I'm definitely gonna try, even with all my craptons of homework! :'D

Eeee. I can already feel the ideas coming together. :')

14. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    I might give it a shot... *starts thinking up memorable plot/characters*

15. I'm considering doing this; while I have an idea for a story, I've never done it before, and I'm not sure how much spare time I'm going to have with bring a first-year Uni student.

If I don't participate in 2009's competition, I'm definitely going to take part next year. :slight_smile:

16. Emberstone

hey, 20k is nothing to scoff at. my first nano, the story was so bad i only wroe 3500 words and gave up on it.

2007 and 2008 I won, but only at the last moments.

of course, since then, both of those have been rewitten from scratch and completed, and my 2007 one is one of the fav books so far I have rough drafted in my series, though book five is shaping up to steal that spot when i finish it.

17. listen up world

Three time participant, one time winner! This year I'm planning a supernatural thriller of sorts...it is going to be interesting at the very least...

18. fallendream

is england in it? please tell me it is, sounds like fun =P

19. Helen

Helen Guest

Ben and I did it together :grin:

And we might just do it again :slight_smile:

20. Ben

Ben

*&* '#' We need to think about stuff soon